Author Topic: HOUSTON and MCPHERSON Likely Perthshire  (Read 414 times)

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
HOUSTON and MCPHERSON Likely Perthshire
« on: Saturday 31 October 15 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am searching for my 4x great grandparents. Their daughter, Mary HOUSTON, b. abt. 1813, was married to Hugh MCGREGOR, b. 1802, Balquhidder, Perth, in Strathyre, Balquhidder in 1832. The marriage entry says they were both "of this parish". Only on Mary's 1893 death registration did I find any reference to her parents. It lists them as James HOUSTON and Mary MCPHERSON. I cannot seem to find them anywhere. I had assumed they were local to Balquhidder, but Hugh MCGREGOR was a cattle man and could have met a wife somewhere along the drove roads, I suppose.

Another wrinkle is the frequent variation of the spelling of HOUSTON that I have found over the years - HUSTON, AUSTIN etc.

I have lots of info. regarding Hugh and Mary's marriage, children, migration to Argyll, then retirement and deaths in Greenock. I would love to get farther back into Mary's HOUSTON/MCPHERSON roots though. Thank you very much!

Mary
in Canada
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull