Author Topic: A hard nut to crack--- Elizabeth Mason and the Petty Family  (Read 1204 times)

Offline Rachel Williams

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
A hard nut to crack--- Elizabeth Mason and the Petty Family
« on: Saturday 31 October 15 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi all :)

I have been knocking myself out trying to piece together a number of loose threads regarding the Petty family (relative to Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Oxfordshire) in the 17th and 18th centuries.

The main problem is my attempt to tie Elizabeth Mason d. 1736 to Samuel Petty d. 1732  her son via her first husband. I have no idea who the father was.

Samuel and his wife Elizabeth (maiden name possibly Lovett) had the following children:

male Petty 1707 Renhold, Bedfordshire
Eustace Petty 1711  Renhold, Bedfordshire
Frances Petty 1712 Renhold, Bedfordshire
Henrietta Maria 1714-
Samuel Petty 1715-1722
John Petty 1722
Samuel Petty 1722-1725

Elizabeth Mason's parish death record identifies her as Elizabeth Mason of Great Paxton but she is buried in Renhold.

Her 2nd husband was John Mason 1659-1726 of Great Paxton

She is also cited in some litigations available at KEW Archives

Hopefully someone can succeed where I have failed.

Rachel in Canada :)

Williams-Thomas-Harris-Collins-Owen-Davies-Doran-Nichols-Ambrose-Kilbee-Mott

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A hard nut to crack--- Elizabeth Mason and the Petty Family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 October 15 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Not a direct answer to your question, but possibly Samuel Petty is the son of Eustace Petty of Stoke Lyne in Oxfordshire, who died in 1735, having written his last will and testament on 20 September of that year.
The PCC will can be seen on Ancestry, or downloaded from the National Archives website.
Eustace does not mention a wife, but names his sons: Nathaniel; Eustace; John and Samuel (who is deceased), and daughter Elizabeth Milward (Elizabeth Petty married Thomas Millward at Great Paxton in 1725 ~ familysearch.org).
He has property in Baynton, Oxfordshire; Great Paxton, and Keisow (Keysoe), Bedfordshire.
The (unnamed) executors of Samuel's estate are mentioned, which suggests that he made a will, but if so it is not a PCC will, so may be one which is held at Cambridgeshire or Bedfordshire archives

If this man's son Samuel is the same man who died in 1732 it would follow that Elizabeth Mason is not Samuel's mother.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rachel Williams

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 October 15 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for taking the time, Galium. I have been looking at that and as well as the will of Eustace's father (another Eustace). Somehow the whole line goes back to Tetsworth, Oxfordshire but I am missing a few significant pieces to the puzzle.

So I suspect Eustace Petty 1660-1675 is the son of Eustace Petty d. 1682 and Elizabeth (maiden name unknown)  d. 1685

The Eustace you kindly found was married to Mary Rice b.1663- ????

Here is a list of known Siblings for Eustace 1660-1675

Joyce Petty m. Thomas Plater
Judith Petty m. Alexander Travell
Jane Petty 1648-1717 m. Edmund Mason and later John Parran 1638-1725
Alexander Petty of Hethe 1653-1725  m. Mildred (maiden name unknown)
Nathaniel Petty

Alexander Petty is well documented but I have very little on Nathaniel other than another litigation reference involving himself and sister, Joyce against their brother-in-law, Alexander Travell.

Elizabeth Mason has two brothers-in-law cited in John Mason's will. Neither of whom is an Edmund. I obtained Edmund's name via Eustace Petty's d. 1862 Will. Nonetheless, Edmund may be a deceased sibling to them.

I don't think Elizabeth is Eustace 1660-1735 2nd wife because she outlives him by a year but is not mentioned in the will.

I have no death date for his 1st wife, Mary Rice b. 1663

Rachel (thanks again) :)

Offline Rachel Williams

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 October 15 22:01 GMT (UK) »
I should add that I have Samuel's Will d. 1732 at Renhold in which he identifies his mother as Elizabeth Mason.