Author Topic: Morton/Murton  (Read 11284 times)

Offline andygmandrew

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Morton/Murton
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 01 October 17 20:23 BST (UK) »
This isn‘t going to be easy. To start with, he’s not visible in the 1911 census and he may not have been honest about his father’s occupation. To make it more complicated, when he died in 1925 his date of birth is given as 1890. There is a candidate but many of the details aren’t right. Plus I suspect he wasn’t born in Newcastle.

Offline feefee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Mortons - Northumberland
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 26 November 17 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I wondered if you could please help me with Andrew Morton.  I have spent 20 years on this with no success.

Thomasina Morton (Born Belford 1883) Father Thomas Morton Chillingham mother Elisabeth Morton Belford father Robert Morton Belford.

Robert Morton father Andrew Morton is deceased by 1841, but I have his father as Andrew Dick Morton buried Lucker.  Father John Morton and Martha Downey.   

Thomas' father is Andrew Morton 1841 born Northumberland. 1851 census states born Ellingham.  Also living in the house is a granddaughter Annie born Ellingham, but she was born in Eglingham and think this is a transcription error. I cannot find him on 1861 census.  Died 1866 and is buried in Chillingham.  His first wife is Dorothy child Isabella (possible mother's name) living Heckley Fence, Alnwick.  Next wife Ann Stewart son George (possible father's name).  They then move to Chillingham Newtown. 

Thank you for your very kind offer of help.   Having both sets of great-grandparents as Mortons of Belford and Chillingham have had me going around in circles for years.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mortons - Northumberland
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 26 November 17 15:33 GMT (UK) »

I wondered if you could please help me with Andrew Morton.  I have spent 20 years on this with no success.

Thomas' father is Andrew Morton 1841 born Northumberland.

1851 census states born Ellingham living in the house is a granddaughter Annie born Ellingham, but she was born in Eglingham and think this is a transcription error.

I cannot find him on 1861 census

Died 1866 and is buried in Chillingham. 

first wife is Dorothy child Isabella (possible mother's name) living Heckley Fence, Alnwick. 

Next wife Ann Stewart son George (possible father's name).  They then move to Chillingham Newtown. 

For others looking is this the 1851 census you are referring too?
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGX4-YVY
Andrew Morton born c1792 Ellingham , wife is Ann, son Thomas born c1828 Chillingham plus siblings

Thos. Morton born 5 Jan 1827
Baptism    19 Jan 1827 West Chapel Presbyterian-NC, Wooler, Northumberland
Father:   Andrew Morton  Mother:   Ann

Andrew Morton born c1792 does seem pretty elusive on the 1861 census  ???

1866 burial Andrew Morton born c1792 https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/61832390

1841 census surname MORTON transcribed as MORSTON on Anc*y

Andrew    50 Ag lab
Ann           50
George    25 Ag lab
Robert       20 Shoemaker j
James       20 Ag lab
Elizabeth   15
Thomas    10
Jane          10
Stephen    10
William       9
John     5

Wondering if this might be the baptism of

Ann Stewart 1792 West Chapel, Wooler parents Robert & Elizabeth
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N1LS-83J
1857 burial https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/61832780

Isabella Morton   23 Aug 1812   Pottergate Street Scotch Presbyterian OR Protestanalnwicknters Alnwick,Northumberland
parents   Andrew, Dorathy

and possibly some of Andrew & Ann's children

George Morton   5 Nov 1815   Pottergate Street Scotch Presbyterian OR Protestanalnwicknters,Alnwick,Northumberland
Ralph Morton   21 Oct 1819   West Chapel, Wooler, Northumberland
Elizabeth Morton 30 Apr 1823   West Chapel, Wooler, Northumberland
Jane Morton   21 Mar 1829   West Chapel, Wooler, Northumberland
John Morton   19 Apr 1836   West Chapel Presbyterian-NC,Wooler,Northumberland   

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andygmandrew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 26 November 17 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi feefee (Fiona?)

I was a little confused by your post, however I think I get the gist.

'Deaths: At NEWCASTLE, in Argyle Terrace, on the 17th inst., aged 77, Mr Andrew Morton, formerly of Chillingham Newtown.' (Newcastle Courant, 23rd of March 1866)

It seems beyond reasonable doubt that this is your Andrew Morton (I have a copy of the inquest which I shall send you).

Like you I can't find him in the 1861 census, but his wife Ann died in 1857, presumably at Chillingham and it would appear that he was then looked after by his daughter Elizabeth as when he died at Argyle Terrace, she, her daughter Ann and his grandson Andrew were all living at that address whilst helping his son Stephen to run the shop referred to in the article.

Robert's baptism:

Robert son of Andrew Morton by his wife Ann, parish of Chillingham, born at New Town 13th of August 1817, baptised 15th of August 1817 - Wooler West Presbyterian.

And therein is your problem, they were Presbyterians. It is often hard to trace Presbyterian marriages in Northumberland as it was common for the parties to hop across the border into Scotland where a Presbyterian marriage was legal rather than marry in the Church of England (as you probably know, in England only Church of England marriages were legal between 1754 and 1837). Unfortunately records of these marriages rarely survive, but as Presbyterian Baptisms usually recorded the mother's maiden name it's often possible to work out who the parties were.

If we're to believe the evidence of the census ands his inquest, Andrew was born around 1789. However there are no baptisms of an Andrew Morton around that time and the two which come closest are:

Andrew Morton, baptised 4th December 1784, son of Selby & Jane Morton of Tweedmouth - Tweedmouth
Andrew Dick son of John Morton of Lucker by his wife Martha, baptised 26 February 1785 [buried at Lowick 7 March 1825 age 40] - Lucker

It can't be the first as he was apprenticed to a Patternmaker in London, and the second appears to have died in 1825. It's also noteworthy that your Andrew is nowhere described as Andrew Dick Morton whereas Andrew Dick Morton's brother, Durham Dick Morton is almost always referred to as Durham Dick Morton.

It seems to me that your Andrew may have been baptised a Presbyterian and the record of his baptism is in a lost register. I've never found any trace of his marriage to Dorothy either. it's interesting that the registers of Wooler West Chapel Presbyterian include the baptism of Ann Stewart but not that of Andrew (despite them being extant from 1740).

An outside possibility is that he was born a Catholic (there was a tribe of Catholic Mortons in the Lowick/Belford area - including my own ancestors) and became a Presbyterian on his marriage. The two main Catholic congregations for the area are Haggerston Castle and Ellingham. Ellingham registers go back to 1779 but pre 1790 registers are missing for Haggerston and it may be significant that one of the first entries is:

Robert son of Andrew and Margaret Murton, Sponsors Tom Murray, Anne Murray, baptised 7th of April 1789 - Haggerston Castle Roman Catholic Chapel

There is an outside possibility that Andrew may be a slightly older brother of Robert.

What do you think?

Happy to chat further.

Kind regards

Andrew Morton

Offline andygmandrew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 26 November 17 17:01 GMT (UK) »
'THE DEATH FROM FURIOUS DRIVING.
Yesterday evening, the coroner (Mr J. T. Hoyle), held an inquest at the house of Mr N. W. Tinkler, the Royal Adelaide Hotel, New Bridge Street, Newcastle, on the body of Andrew Morton, 77 years of age, who had come by his death in consequence of injuries sustained by him, by being run over by a horse and cart driven by a young man named Mark Burton, on the forenoon of the 27th ult. Burton, it will be remembered, was brought up the Manors Police Court, on Tuesday last, at the instance of W. Blanshard, Esq., the County Court judge, for furiously driving, in connection with this same case, and fined 10s. and costs. Since that time Mr Morton gradually grew worse and expired on Saturday last. The facts of the case will be gathered from the following evidence:

Stephen Dixon Morton, flour dealer, of 100, Newgate Street, was the first witness called, and said: The deceased body now shown to the jury is that of my father. He was 77 years of age, and lived in Argyle Terrace. On February 27, about six minutes to ten o'clock in the forenoon, he came into my shop and enquired what time at once, and on being told he went out again immediately, and in about three minutes afterwards Mr Welsh, the beadle of St Andrew's, came into the shop and told me that my father had been run over. I went out and met some men in the act of carrying him into my shop. The young man Burton, I believe, was one of them. I at once sent for Dr. Carr, of Eldon Square, who attended the deceased immediately. Mr Blanshard, the County Court judge, followed them into my shop. About an hour after the occurrence the deceased was taken to his daughter's house in Argyle Terrace, where the body now lies. The deceased was quite sober when he came into my shop. He crossed over S Kings head towards the Kings Head, at the corner Blacket Street to go up on the other side Percy Street to meet the Dinnington carrier. I understood he had been knocked down by a horse and cart driven by Burton.
   The coroner (at this stage of the proceedings) asked the young man Burton, who was present, if he wished to ask any questions of the witness. He had heard from the evidence of Mr Morton that he was concerned in the occurrence which led to the death of the deceased. He was to understand that he was not on his trial there; he might ask any question, or, if he was willing to be sworn on oath, he might make any statement, but if he did it would be taken down in evidence and used against him as necessary. Did not occur to him that there was any question that ought to be asked in his behalf, or he would have asked it. That was an enquiry only; there was no one accused. Was there any question he wished to ask.
Burton replied in the negative.
   Wm. Blanshard, Esq., of Jesmond Dene Hall, Newcastle upon Tyne, County Court Judge of Newcastle and Northumberland, was next sworn and said: on February 27, about a few minutes before 10 o'clock, I was proceeding, accompanied by my son, down Percy Street, on my way to hold my County Court in Westgate Street. I was on the right hand side of the street coming down, and had got as far as Mrs. Weddell's register office, when my attention was drawn to a light cart rapidly driven out of Gallowgate and across Percy Street towards Blackett Street. The driver, in my opinion, was proceeding at a moat rapid and I should say a most reckless rate, so much so that he nearly ran into a light cart that was coming up Newgate Street into Percy Street, and he only escaped this by the other horse throw­ing up his head, so that Burton's cart passed clear. His attention was entirely engrossed by having nearly run into this vehicle, and he held up his hand to the driver of the other cart, but he proceeded recklessly onward at the same rate towards Blackett Street. My attention for a moment was directed to the other horse to see whether it was hurt or not, and the next thing I saw was the old man lying on his back on the crossing, with his face bloody, as if he had been thrown down by the cart. My impression was, that the deceased had been knocked down by the shaft of the cart, and that his face had been struck by the wheel after­wards. I did not see him knocked down; my son saw more than I did. The driver, who turned out to be the young man Burton, pulled up ass soon at he could. He did not get very far—not above twenty yards from the crossing perhaps. The cart was not laden, and he was the only person in it. I observed that particularly, because I went up to the cart to see the name upon it. Some persons went and lifted up the deceased, and were carrying him into his son’s shop. Barton then followed, no doubt showing a deal of concern, and I and my son followed after him. When I got into the shop of Mr. Morton, jnr., I saw that they were all very anxious and excited about the occurrence. Before I expected the deceased would die in consequence of the in­juries he had received, I made complaint to the authorities about the furious driving. I told Burton at the time that I thought he had been driving at a most unjustifiable rate, and he denied it.
' (more to follow)

Offline andygmandrew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 26 November 17 17:03 GMT (UK) »
(Continued)
'By a Juror: the cart that was likely to come into collision with Burton's was coming up about the centre of Newgate Street and Percy Street. The other cart just got past him, and he held up his hand to the driver. My notion was that it was a kind of jeering thing that he did. It took his attention of his own horse for a moment, but he never attempted to stop it. Had he been attending to his own horse exclusively, and not looking round, you might have avoided deceased, either by pulling up or going on one side of him. I am quite satisfied that he was going at a most reckless pace, having regard to the safety of the public. I think I was within the mark when I previously stated that he was going 6 miles an hour; my belief is that he was going at the rate of about 7. I may just state that after the mischief was done I don't think any young man could have behaved better than Burton did. I don't think the other cart all contributed to the occurrence.
   To the coroner: I did not notice the deceased until I saw him lying on his back on the crossing.
Wm. Green, jun., of 6, St Mary's Terrace, Newcastle, mining engineer, deposed: I saw the deceased not down by the horse and cart. On February 27 last a few minutes before ten o'clock. I was coming down Percy Street, a few yards behind Mr Blanchard. I saw the horse and cart driven very fast data Gallowgate into Blacket Street, and in doing so it just missed the head of a horse that was in the cart coming up Newgate Street. The man driving the cart turned round visit to see whether he had done any damage or not; the man in the cart coming up Newgate Street seemed to be the next. Burton's attention was drawn for the moment from his own horse. The next I saw was a man not down by the cart, but I cannot tell whether by the shaft on the wheel, as I was on the opposite side from the deceased. I saw some blood on the face of the deceased. I well acquainted with horses and driving, and my impression was that the horse was being driven at a rate of about 8 miles an hour.
   By a Juror: I cannot say whether the deceased made any effort to get out of the way. I think is the deceased had stood still it would have been worse for him; had he made another step forward, he would have avoided the cart.
Mr William Carr, surgeon, of Eldon Square, said: I was called in on February 27, about ten o'clock in the morning, to see the deceased in the kitchen behind his son's shop in Newgate Street. There was a superficial wound on the back of his head, and a severe wound on the upper lip. He was very much stunned, and unconscious at the time. The same blow that had inflicted the wound on his upper lip and also knocked out 2 or 3 of his teeth. I think the wound on the back of his head was caused by his falling; that on the lip most likely by some opposing force, probably the shaft of the cart; it could not have been caused by the wheel. Those were all the external injuries I observed. I continued to attend him till his death, which took place on Saturday, the 17th inst., at his daughter's house in Argyle Terrace. His death was occasioned by exhaustion, consequent upon those injuries. His consciousness returned and his wounds healed. I had frequent conversation with him while under my treatment, but he never made any remarks as to the occurrence. During the last 2 or 3 days of his life he was incoherent in his intellect.
   This being the whole of the evidence, the coroner proceeded to sum up to the jury. In reading over the evidence, he remarked at the outset that it did not matter how long a time had intervened from the injuries being received until the death of the deceased, so long as it was proved that those injuries were the primary cause of his death. It seemed a very material circumstance that instead of Burton looking at his horse while he was going at a rapid rate described by the witnesses, he looked behind him at the other cart, and that was probably the reason why this man got knocked. Although there had been a great deal said about reckless driving, they (the jury) must not make this man sacrificed to the general opinion unless they were satisfied that there had been any negligence on his part; and he was bound to tell them that there had been negligence according to what Mr Blanchard and Mr Green said. Whatever amount of carelessness than might have been however, Burton appear to show a great deal of concern afterwards; but still that would not bring the man to life again. The question for them, then, to consider was whether they thought from the evidence that Burton had been guilty of any negligence or not. If they thought he had, then it would be their bounden duty to find a verdict of manslaughter against him.
   The jury having consulted for about 10 minutes, the Foreman said they were unanimously of opinion that the occurrence had been accidental.'

Offline andygmandrew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 27 November 17 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, that should have been Pattenmaker, not Pattern maker!

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 08:20 BST (UK) »
Hello All, I am connected to the Morton/Murton ancestors through William Morton Marriage on the 16/1/1743 to a Jane Dunn he was from the Parish of Woodhorn and Jane Parish of Beadnell, Jane's Burial was the 19/10/1801 aged 88 William died earlier. They are the parents of Phillis Morton/Murton who later married William Middlemiss. :-[ anyone connect to this family. :-[

Regards,
Janet :-\

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 18 May 19 08:11 BST (UK) »
Hello again andygmandrew still trying to complete this family Phyllis Murton 15/2/1747 parents William Murton and Jane Dunn I have reached a brick wall with Jane Dunn's father Edward Dunn, and Thomas Murton father of William Murton Snr, 14/12/1685 Bamburgh marriage to a Margaret Armstrong on the 5/6/1711. Would love help thank you. :-[

Regards,
Janet :-\ :-[