Author Topic: Thomas HOGG-Caheny  (Read 2876 times)

Offline Jerseyties

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas HOGG-Caheny
« on: Sunday 01 November 15 02:14 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me what sort of information is recorded on a death record in Ireland ca. 1885?

I'm pretty sure I've found both my 3rd & 4th great grandfather's listed in Griffith's Valuation, Thomas Hogg Jr., and Thomas Hogg Sr both in Caheny, and know from Thomas Jr's NY city, New York death cert. that he was born in 1807. This Thomas Hogg may be Sr. The age and area would be about right

Thomas Hogg
Ireland Civil Registration Indexes
Name   Thomas Hogg
Event Type   Death
Event Date   Jan - Mar 1885
Event Place   Coleraine, Ireland
Registration Quarter and Year   Jan - Mar 1885
Registration District   Coleraine
Age   103
Birth Year (Estimated)   1782
Volume Number   1
Page Number   382
CITING THIS RECORD

"Ireland Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FT7Y-QMC : accessed 1 November 2015), DEATHS entry for Thomas Hogg; citing Coleraine, Jan - Mar 1885, vol. 1, p. 382, General Registry, Custom House, Dublin; FHL microfilm 101,593.

I'm sure it was a common name so I can't be certain. Sure would like to find something to either prove or disprove. I know from Thomas Jr.'s death cert. that his father was a Thomas with a wife Mary, and Thomas Hogg is listed as "of Caheny on his marriage announcement in Belfast Newsletter. 103 years old couldn't have been all that common...maybe his death was mentioned in an area newspaper but I couldn't find it on the Ancestry site.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas HOGG-Caheny
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 November 15 04:51 GMT (UK) »
"Can anyone tell me what sort of information is recorded on a death record in Ireland ca. 1885?"

When and where deceased, deceased name and surname, sex, marital status, age at death, occupation, cause of death, signature description and residence of informant, when registered, and signature of registrar.

GRONI online has the 1885 death record, choosing the "Full" viewing option (5 credits, currently £2) includes a digitised extract of the original:

https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/

Just checking that you are aware of this on the PRONI website (includes digitised will):

Letters of Administration (with the Will annexed) of the personal estate of Thomas Hogg Senior late of Caheney County Londonderry Farmer deceased who died 19 July 1881 at same place were granted at Londonderry to Samuel Hogg of Caheney aforesaid Farmer the Residuary Legatee.

GRONI online has the death record, the reported age was 76. Also the following one, the reported age was 78:

Probate of the Will of Thomas Hogg late of Caheny County Londonderry Farmer who died 16 June 1917 granted at Londonderry to Alexander Hogg and Thomas McAleese Farmers.

http://apps.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearch.aspx

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 November 15 08:14 GMT (UK) »
The Will of Thomas Hogg (Senior) who died 1881 only mentions wife Isabella and son Samuel.

You probably won't be aware of this but in Ulster the designations 'senior' and 'junior' are flexible. Firstly, a Thomas Jr. may not be the son of a Thomas Sr. and over the years a Thomas Jr. could become a Thomas Sr. Also they may not even be related as it's really just a way to indicate an older and a younger one in a particular townland or area.

I have lots of information on Hoggs in and around Caheny in my files but am literally in the middle of moving house so at the moment I am sitting at a desk in an empty room and all the files are about 10 miles away. I may have other Thomas Hoggs listed who died before the start of civil registration but it will be several weeks before I have a chance to check anything.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 November 15 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Just turned around and remembered that the card files haven't been moved out yet. So, here's a start...

PRONI D668/146/2. 28 July 1832 Copy of will of Thomas Hogg. Beneficiaries wife Molly; sons Thomas, Alexander, John; daughters Jane, Mary. Executors; Cornelieus Foy [Toy] and Alexander Foy [Toy].
Note: Molly is a nickname for Mary.

Offline Jerseyties

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 November 15 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. Just want to say that this site and people on it have been very helpful.  :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 November 15 14:07 GMT (UK) »
It's really not going to be easy to find the right Thomas Hogg from Caheny. I found a backup disk with more notes and there are a few Thomas Hoggs getting married around the time yours married Martha Brown.
I was sent a family tree of Hoggs (name changed to Hoag in America) which shows a Thomas Hogg & wife Jane having several children including a Thomas (1812).

Offline Jerseyties

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 November 15 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Nothing comes easy lol I've been at this for at least 20 years and it took a newspaper clipping to get me to the right area in Ireland that I found last month. I know when my ancestors immigrated 5 July 1848 aboard the ship "Speed".

LAST NAME   FIRST NAME   AGE   SEX   ARRIVAL DATE   PLACE OF LAST RESIDENCE
HOGG   DAVID   7   M   5 Jul 1848   U
HOGG   ELIZABETH   3   F   5 Jul 1848   U
HOGG   JANE   11   F   5 Jul 1848   U
HOGG   MARTHA   30   F   5 Jul 1848   U
HOGG   NANCY   13   F   5 Jul 1848   U
HOGG   RACHEL   0 m   F   5 Jul 1848   U
HOGG   ROBT.   5   M   5 Jul 1848   U
HOGG   THOMAS   34   M   5 Jul 1848   U
HOGG   THOS.   9   M   5 Jul 1848   U

other records have the daughter Rachel being born at sea.

My Thomas Hogg with wife Mary ( the above Thomas  34  father) would  have been born in the late 1700s. I can definitely rule out the Thomas Hogg's that died in 1881 and 1917 since they were born in the same time frame as my 3rd gr grandfather. Not sure about the one in 1832 as I cant find that record of death listed to check the age.  In 1831 census, a year before Thomas would have married Martha there is only one Thomas Hogg listed as living in Caheny, there are 5 males, 2 females and 1 male servant listed in the household. At this time Thomas Jr. could have still been in his father's household. In the Griffith's Valuations there are the two Thomas Jr., Thomas Sr. in Caheny. Since this was 1847 I believe, it was a year before Thomas Jr and his family left for New York. There is a William Hogg that appears above the Thomas Hogg on the 1831 census and also one that appears above Thomas Jrs name in the Griffith record. Not sure if that means anything or not, but possibly an older sibling of Thomas Jr already living outside the household, or even a brother to the elder Thomas. Just spinning my wheels here  lol

Offline Jerseyties

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 July 17 03:56 BST (UK) »
I am absolutely sure that this has to be the Will of my 4th great grandfather Thomas HOGG.
The three sons mentioned Thomas (my ancestor), Alexander and John are all accounted for in my tree. I did try to contact PRONI and the Will still does exist....and was accounted for in their records last year but somehow it has been misplaced since then. Supposedly they will still be looking for it :'(

PRONI D668/146/2. 28 July 1832 Copy of will of Thomas Hogg. Beneficiaries wife Molly; sons Thomas, Alexander, John; daughters Jane, Mary. Executors; Cornelieus Foy [Toy] and Alexander Foy [Toy].
Note: Molly is a nickname for Mary.

also saw this listed in 1834?

It's got to be there somewhere....hopefully they'll contact me when they do find it