Author Topic: 22 Draper Street Albert PARK IN THE 1920'S  (Read 2539 times)

Offline kasden

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
22 Draper Street Albert PARK IN THE 1920'S
« on: Sunday 01 November 15 03:04 GMT (UK) »
I want to confirm that a (now deceased) ancestor of mine resided at the address of 22 Draper street Albert Park (aka Port Melbourne) in the 1920's.Normally the electoral roll would solve this issue however in 1920 this ancestor, Ruby Hickey ,was only 13 and recently orphaned in NSW making her far too young to be on the electoral roll.I know that she went to Victoria with her sister Hilda Alma May Hickey ( aged about18) in 1920 because their maternal grandparents lived at Draper street, however I don't know if they took young Ruby and Hilda in...Her sister Hilda took up residence with a local  religious order in 1921 and spent the rest of her life with them. Ruby emerges as living in the Albert Park area in Ireland st and Peel st from the 1960's until her death in 1980. Where would I look to find information on her whereabouts between 1920 and 1930-ish when she would have attained adulthood.
I don't know if ,in those times, she would have even been still at school or not.
Any tips greatly appreciated
Kasden

Offline Nettie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • You can choose your friends but not your relations
    • View Profile
Re: 22 Draper Street Albert PARK IN THE 1920'S
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 November 15 03:51 GMT (UK) »
Do you know which order Hilda went into? Was it Good Shepherd?
Researching: Cronin / Nolan - Gortadrislig, Kerry
Finn/Clifford - Callinafercy and Scort, Kerry
Spillane - Milltown
Also:- Byrne / Tyrrell - Dublin

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 November 15 03:58 GMT (UK) »
Kasden, it's always helpful to link your previous threads to save people repeating Q&A's  :)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=559463.0

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 November 15 04:08 GMT (UK) »
Thought the names were familiar.

Birth
HICKEY Ruby Eileen Edith
Father James  Mother Hilda Louise PEART
At Melbourne South  1907  Reg#28723

Is it possible that Ruby was admitted to the Abbotsford Convent as an orphan?

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 November 15 04:34 GMT (UK) »
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article206166025
6 Aug 1927

THE STORY OF A WATCH.
Borrowed and Lost.
Ruby Edith Hickey, 19 years, wards maid, was charged in Carlton court yesterday with having stolen a gold wristlet watch, the property of Phyllis Coates, wards maid, employed at the Women's Hospital.
Coates said she handed Hickey the wristlet watch and asked her to take it to a jeweller for repairs. Three weeks later accused stopped her in the street and said she would return the watch to the Women's Hospital. Witness had not seen the watch since.
Plain-clothes Constable Mclntyre said accused had admitted to him that she had given the watch to a girl friend. Evelyn Wynn, house maid at the Fairfield Hospital, said she borrowed tho watch from accused, intending to return it within two days. While wearing the watch witness lost it in a train.
Accused said she lost lost trace of Miss Wynn after lending her the watch. She had intended taking it to the jeweller at soon as she recovered it. 
Accused was fined £5, in default a month's imprisonment.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 November 15 05:58 GMT (UK) »
As an aside 22 Draper St Albert Pk was sold at auction for $1.48M  in 2014

A picture of how it looks today

http://www.domain.com.au/property-profile/22-draper-street-albert-park-vic-3206
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline kasden

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 November 15 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Hilda did go to The Good Shepherd Order but did not become a Sister although I think that was the original plan...she was a 'domestic' with them until her death at the age of 90+ from what I can gather and they sent me some of her records and a few pictures they had of her so I consider that to be a bonus .I had not heard the watch story in relation to Ruby , it adds yet another dimension to the mystery of her life. I don't know if 22 Draper street was owned by the Peart family, I suspect not, but they did live there from the early 1900's until at least 1925 when Thomas Peart died and his widow, Alice Mary went to live with one of her daughters in Crichton Street Albert Park.I don't have any ideas on what records to look for or where to search for signs of Ruby between 1920 and 1930 apart from guessing what school she may have attended and hoping they have archival material relating to her...all a bit hit and miss.
Thanks for the interest .
Kasden

Offline kasden

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 November 15 19:05 GMT (UK) »
forgot to add that Abbotsford have no record of Ruby being admitted as an orphan, itt was my thought too that she may have been admitted there when her sister went to the convent however it seems that this was not the case.
Kasden

Offline Nettie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • You can choose your friends but not your relations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 November 15 21:26 GMT (UK) »
There was also the Good Shepherd Convent and Children's home (with a few different names over the years) operating in Beaconsfield Parade, Albert Park.

http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/vic/E000186
Researching: Cronin / Nolan - Gortadrislig, Kerry
Finn/Clifford - Callinafercy and Scort, Kerry
Spillane - Milltown
Also:- Byrne / Tyrrell - Dublin