Author Topic: Robert Phipps of Walthamstow died 1775  (Read 7152 times)

Offline AlanWatson

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Phipps of Walthamstow died 1775
« on: Sunday 01 November 15 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I would be very grateful for any information on Robert Phipps of Walthamstow, who left very substantial legacies to his children in his will proved 5 May 1775.

The main legacies including freehold and leasehold property in Walthamstow, Stepney, the City of London and Southwark were left to his son Robert, but he also made provision for the his daughter Elizabeth Maria, by then Mrs Slack, and for the children of his late son Joshua Phipps (d 1773) including specifically his grandson Jonathan Wathen Phipps and granddaughter Mary Phipps.

(My ancestor was Mary who married first Marcham and then, as a widow,  Thomas Blunt, a chemist. Jonathan Wathen changed his name to Wathen Waller, became a baronet and is widely documented. I think that Robert Junior Married Mary daughter of Thomas Fletcher and had several children from 1769 - 1784.

I can see Robert Senior in a couple of poll books for Walthamstow in 1763 having and occupying land there himself, but living in London.

I can also see a non-conformist record for Robert Phipps of Walthamstow, buried 4 March 1175 in Bunhill Fields where he had paid £10, 10s for a vault for him and his family.

I can also see two non-conformist birth records in London for what might be his children, Joshua b 1742 and again Joshua b 1744, father Robert Phipps,  mother Mary. Although the names, dates and religious inclinations match, I am suspicious because Robert Phipps the father in these records is listed as an upholsterer. I wonder whether this is really consistent with the wealth demonstrated in his will.

I would be extremely grateful for any pointers or additional information about him.

Alan Watson

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Phipps of Walthamstow died 1775
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 November 15 08:55 GMT (UK) »
I'm pretty sure that it's possible to join one of the guilds of London without actually being employed in that particular trade.

So a member of the Company of Upholsterers wouldn't need to be an upholsterer.

Applications to join the Company of Fishmongers:

1757 - Joshua Phipps
1761 - Robert Phipps

Both have the father Robert Phipps  upholsterer

Offline snowball

• RootsChat Senior
  • Got to keep going...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 November 15 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan - you may have this, but I see there is also a probate inventory for Robert Phipps of Walthamstow PROB 31/637/641  http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C9951202 

This may give a few more clues as to the source of his apparent wealth. It's not downloadable so would involve a visit to Kew or a request for a copy.

All the best
Rob

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 November 15 10:20 GMT (UK) »
There's also a baptism, with the same parents and same church, for Elizabeth Maria Phipps 1752

I see that your Robert had an Elizabeth Maria who married a Stark.

He also had property in Cock & Hoop Yard, Houndsditch.  Which fits with the address given at the baptisms.

On The Freemen of London there's a John Warner Phipps - fishmongers.  But this one is the son of John - an apothecary.  So possibly a cousin?

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 November 15 10:33 GMT (UK) »
I've just noticed that there's a Robert Phipps becoming apprenticed to an upholsterer in 1723.   So maybe he really was one after all!

Father named as Robert Phipps - Citizen and Plasterer

Offline AlanWatson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 November 15 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for these two four prompt and helpful replies.

I hadn't seen the probate inventory at all and may well try to get a copy.

I had seen the entry for Joshua Phipps (son of Robert, upholsterer) to become a fishmonger (but not that for Robert son of Robert that you also kindly point me to.)

I can see, for example, this explanation of the guilds:

Membership in a guild could be taken up in one of three ways: by completing a seven year apprenticeship, by patrimony (if one's father was a member of the company), or by redemption (payment of a fee). None of these routes of entry ensured that the member would actually practice the company's trade. Owing to the Custom of London, members of London guilds could practise any trade in the City. Consequently, even though a completed apprenticeship remained the most common route to membership, guilds often included numerous members who did not actually practice the relevant trade. The ratio of members practising the craft to others varied from guild to guild, with the less prestigious guilds such as the Carpenters' Company having a larger number of practicing craft members. Other companies, such as the Grocers', Fishmongers', and Goldsmiths', had many fewer practising members, and, owing to the high cost of admission, became "little more than gentleman's clubs"

Looking at the detail, Joshua was admitted to a seven year apprenticeship to a master, John Towers, when he would have been 12. He married just two months after the seven years were complete, which seems coherent.

By contrast, his older brother, already being entitled to membership of the company of upholsterers by virtue of his father's membership before his birth, was admitted to the more prestigious company of fishmongers by payment of a fine when he, as the older brother, would have been at least 17.

For some reason, I still can't see a christening record for Robert, and the one that I have for the second Joshua is only an 'index record'. The same was true for the record I had for Elizabeth Maria (I already had the date), but Lily's comment on that prompted me to look again and I found another. The records for Elizabeth Maria and for the first Joshua both state:

"I baptised the son/daughter of Robert and Mary Phipps upholsterer in Houndsditch in the Parish of Aldgate and named him/her ..."

And thanks to Lilly for the comment on his apprenticeship. Finding the image of the second baptism record mentioning upholsterer for Elizabeth Maria has convinced me beyond doubt that they must be the same family. I had already seen a record for Robert Phipps taking in apprentice upholsterers so, unless this was just a scam, he must have been one.

Since I know that he was a freeman before the birth of Robert (himself born at least nine months before December 1744) and that an apprenticeship must have lasted seven years, I was going to start looking for apprenticeships starting no later than 1736.

Anyway, all this is remarkably helpful so many thanks. I am still left wondering how he got to be so rich and am therefore more inclined than before to try to get hold of the inventory.

Alan

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 November 15 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Just incase you wanted further proof .....  Freedom of the City records - John Austin 1762 becomes apprenticed to Robert Phibbs upholsterer.

Robert has signed this.  The signature is the same as the one on his Will.

Maybe he inherited money/property.

Could just be a coincidence of names, but
Robert Phipps of Southwark, a plasterer  married Elizabeth Warner of Crooked Lane

St.Michael, Crooked Lane  1699

Offline AlanWatson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 November 15 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again for the extra info. The date of the marriage is certainly consistent, but isn't he likely to have been a City of London Plasterer rather than one in Southwark. (They're not far away, I know as someone who used to walk across London Bridge on the way to work each morning, but even so.)

I was also looking at the christening of Robert Phipps to parents Robert Phipps and Mary in St Andrews Enfield in December 1710. Also the right sort of date, but also not the City. On the plus side however, this Robert seems to have had a brother Nathaniel which is a name I think I have also seen in city apprenticeship papers.

I suppose the logical place to start looking is for Robert the plasterer's apprenticeship.

Also puzzling is the gap for Robert the Upholsterer. He would have finished his apprenticeship in 1730. The first christenings I can find are the two Joshuas in 1742 and 1744, although we know that Robert was born before 1744. Did he have other kids, and if not why wait until he was in his 30s? I can see a promising marriage in 1734 to a Mary Giddings, but why no kids until later?

Thanks to you both again. I'm very impressed with how quickly you've helped me progress.

Alan

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 November 15 12:50 GMT (UK) »
You could be right about St.Andrews, Enfield

Looking through the London Apprenticesip Abstracts 1442-1850, it seems that Robert Phibbs, the plasterer, must have died sometime between 1723-1728 (his widow Elizabeth took over in 1728)

There's a burial for a Robert Phipps at St.Andrews, Enfield in 1725.   Doesn't give any age or profession though.  I suppose Enfield wouldn't have come under London Apprentices.  Unless he didn't work from home??