Author Topic: Robert Phipps of Walthamstow died 1775  (Read 7154 times)

Offline AlanWatson

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Phipps of Walthamstow died 1775
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 05 November 15 08:14 GMT (UK) »
As with all Lilly's posts, extremely pertinent. There is some similarity, but I'm still not at all sure.

The first three signatures you mention (ie the last three chronologically) look rather shaky. Contrast the Jos Slack signature with that of Robert Phipps on the Slack/Phipps wedding register. Jos Slack looks like someone used to using a pen and able to write neatly. Robert Phipps doesn't.

But the signature on the Mary Giddings marriage bond looks really smooth and fluent. And the capital R and P look different. The three that we know are definitely our Robert Phipps seem to start with a curve around the top and then have a different downward stroke followed by a third stroke for the bottom right part, but the marriage bond looks like just two strokes to me.

Still, I'd like to know what others think.

Alan

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 05 November 15 09:29 GMT (UK) »
This looks promising  -  the Will of Letitia Giddings 1752

She leaves money to her daughter Mary Phipps and to her grandsons Robert and Joshua Phipps.

Your Robert and Mary Phipps had a daughter named Letitia in 1740 (same place as the other baptisms).   I suppose she must have died young.

Offline AlanWatson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 05 November 15 09:32 GMT (UK) »
That's what I call convincing.

You're a star.

Alan

Offline AlanWatson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 05 November 15 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Better still the codicil mentions Joshua
They seem to have had lots of money, which helps explain Robert's wealth.

Benjamin Giddings son of Jonah from Wilts was apprenticed to become a city of London Cooper in 1701.

Presumably he died before 10 Nov 1724 when Letitia took in an apprentice In her own name.

Still looking for other details.

I'm very pleased with all your help and the great progress made.

Alan

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 05 November 15 10:37 GMT (UK) »
I made the assumption that Benjamin was Mary's father.   Now I think he may have been her father's brother who took on her guardianship.

There's a 1764 Will for a Benjamin Gidings  cooper.  He doesn't mention the Phipps family.

In the Will of Josiah Giddings  1717   He mentions his daughter Mary Giddings and his wife Letitia.   His brother, Benjamin, is mentioned at the end as seeing to the Will.

This history of this family is very addictive, but I must tear myself away now to do what I should be doing.

Offline AlanWatson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 05 November 15 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Amazing as always.

It seems that Benjamin and Josiah were brothers, both of whom became Coopers. Benjamin started his apprenticeship in 1701; I haven’t found Josiah's apprenticeship although I can see him taking apprentices himself in 1711 and 1717. Letitia took one in 1724.

He probably married Letitia Ironmonger on 16 July 1706 in St Mary Le Bow. According to his will he had a son Josiah as well as his daughter Mary.

I can't see Benjamin's wedding, but according to his will he had a sister Marian Giddings, a brother-in-law John Clark and sons William and Josiah.

Son Josiah was admitted as a Cooper and Citizen of London on 9 October 1712, probably not long after he was born. One of the Josiah Giddingses, possibly him, took in an apprentice Cooper in 1756.

William Giddings was apprenticed to his father Benjamin on 4 Mar 1728.

Still looking for other details, like the births deaths and marriages not mentioned here.

There are lots of Giddings wills that will take a little sifting through.

Alan

Offline AlanWatson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 05 November 15 15:21 GMT (UK) »
The Giddingses seem to have come from Urchfont in Wiltshire.

I assume that the father’s name on Benjamin's apprenticeship was Josiah. If so, he (the father) may have been baptised on 27 Jul 1677. His father,  also Josiah probably married Marie Crook on 15 November 1674.

Alan

Offline AlanWatson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 06 November 15 07:59 GMT (UK) »
There were many generations of Joshua Giddingses in Urchfront. There are lots of parish records available and I can also see several trees on Ancestry with dozens of branches. Unfortunately none of them quite fits. I am scratching my head a little.

I may make a new post under Wiltshire asking for help.

Alan

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 06 November 15 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Yes.  I think that's a good idea Alan.   I can't see any earlier records of them being in London.

I agree with the marriage to Frances Ironmonger.  How many Josiah Giddings marrying Frances at that time could there have been.

Good luck.