Author Topic: John Silas Cole - Humboldt County, California - 1900  (Read 22407 times)

Offline hawk64

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Silas Cole - Humboldt County, California - 1900
« on: Sunday 01 November 15 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I am trying to find out what happened to John Silas Cole and his wife Mary.

According to the 1900 Census, they were living in Eureka Township, Humboldt County, California.
John was around 70 years old, his wife Mary around 63.
John was born in Middlesex, England - Mary apparently born in Ireland.

They had been living in California since the early 1860s, regularly appearing in the California Great Registers - living in Arcata, Ryans Slough and Eureka Nob. (Apologies for any incorrect spelling).

The trail goes cold after 1900 and if anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.

Regards, Michael, Australia

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: John Silas Cole - Humboldt County, California - 1900
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 November 15 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the California voter registers, I see that Mr. Cole's year of birth fluctuates between 1826 and 1830.  Could this possibly be him?

California Death Index
J S Cole, born c1827
Death:  25 September 1907, Humboldt

Would you know Mary's maiden name, please?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 November 15 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Could this be your John?
1907 Eureka Directory
John S. Cole, McFarlan avenue, No. 1433

(In 1900, he was living on Harrison Street)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 November 15 14:22 GMT (UK) »
During the early 1900s, I don't see another John S. Cole in the Eureka Directories (nor a Mary Cole).

Offline hawk64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 November 15 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

Yes, on all records I have seen, John's age and DOB fluctuated so that death could very well be him.

As far as Mary is concerned, there's a little mystery there. He married in England in 1862 but her name was Harriet Hartshorne. I haven't found much on her but I did notice that her mother's name (if I have the correct family) was Mary. Maybe she dropped the name Harriet. However, the 1900 census seemed to indicate that Mary Cole had been in the USA slightly longer than John. Having said that, John was a mariner so he could have been at sea.

Thanks for your help so far.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 November 15 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Is there any chance that John married Harriet and she either died soon after the marriage, or he left England for the states (intending to have her join him) and Mary is not the same person as Harriet?  Have you found Harriet in England prior to her marriage?  If so, does her birth place and year match up with Mary's?

Offline hawk64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 November 15 00:54 GMT (UK) »
It's actually my belief that Harriet and Mary are not the same person. I cannot find any birth for Harriet or any other records apart from that marriage. Her father was English. In the 1900 census, Mary is down as Irish and so are her parents.
So the possibilities are that Harriet died early and John went off to America where he met Mary, who seems to have been there before him. Or John abandoned Harriet and ran off with Mary - this is something his father did with his mother. Long story, that one.
I might have to try and access that death record in 1907 somehow.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 November 15 01:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the explanation.  I will have a look around again a little later tonight.

PS  I believe on one of the census returns (1880?), Mary's middle initial is B, in case you haven't seen it.  Not much help, but it's something to keep in mind.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 November 15 01:25 GMT (UK) »
I've not read the voter registrations.  Are you sure the John Silas Cole in Humboldt was "your" John?