Author Topic: John Gilmore & Mary Rainey  (Read 2307 times)

Offline Pooziej

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Gilmore & Mary Rainey
« on: Sunday 01 November 15 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Through DNA matches I have found I am related to the family of John Gilmore b.Aug 1692  Coleraine, Londonderry, Northern Ireland.

Father Robert Gilmore, Sr. b. 1670, Coleraine, , Londonderry, Northern Ireland.  d. 1750, Londonderry, Rockingham, New Hampshire, United States 
Mother Mary Ann Kennedy  b. 1673, Coleraine, , Londonderry, Northern Ireland.

I have in my family a John (? Henry) born about 1805. He was married to Mary Rainey. They had a son born in Canada about 1830 named John Henry.

As I have tried for a very long time to find a John Gilmore born about 1805 in John Gilmore family of Rockbridge, Va. without sucess, I am wondering if my John Gilmore was born in Ireland.

Perhaps records could be found in Coleraine or Ulster. Any help finding my John Gilmore born 1805 & wife Mary Rainey would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Donna

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Gilmore & Mary Rainey
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 November 15 16:24 GMT (UK) »
The place you want to look for records about John Gilmore 'of Coleraine' is in Londonderry, New Hampshire. Much information has been published about the Rev. McGregor of Aghadowey Presbyterian Church (10 miles south of Coleraine) and the early Derry/Londonderry settlers.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Pooziej

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 November 15 16:28 GMT (UK) »
I'm not looking for information on John Gilmore 1692. I am hoping he had a brother/cousin who had a son also named John Gilmore born in 1805 in Ireland, perhaps Coleraine. I cannot find my John Gilmore 1805 at all with my searches of John 1692 in the U.S.

Thanks,
Donna

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 November 15 16:35 GMT (UK) »
There will be very few records here in Ireland for the period you are looking for.

Civil registration of births started 1864, the surviving 1832 census only lists head of household (next available one is 1901) and baptism records for Aghadowey Presbyterian Church only survive from 1855 onwards.

In addition to the above, Gilmore is an extremely common surname and lots of the families used the Christian name of John with great frequency.

Offline Pooziej

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 November 15 17:47 GMT (UK) »
I suppose any marriage record wouldn't be available also. I also suppose there are several Rainey families there as well. They would have immigrated before 1830 & I suppose there are no records for that either.

Sigh.

Thanks everyone for your help though.

Donna

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 November 15 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Registration of non-Catholic marriages started in 1845. Earlier Presbyterian (and most other denominations) records usually just recorded date, bride and groom.

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 06:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Donna, the birth of the John Henry in Canada 1830 is Henry his last name?? Also, not that this helps what your looking for, but the Gilmores & Henry families are inter-related in the South Derry/South Antrim area. Kim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 09:02 GMT (UK) »
The surnames Gilmore and Henry are both extremely common in many parts of Ulster so looking for places the names occurred together isn't going to help. I could probably find at least half a dozen Gilmore/Henry marriages in just my area of Co. Londonderry alone.

If the OP is trying to make a connection to John Gilmore of 'Coleraine' then the area to search would be Coleraine/Aghadowey. Many other descendants over the years have tried (and failed) to find further records here).

Offline Pooziej

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 December 15 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Henry is his middle name. It is a Gilmore & Rainey union I am looking for. They would have immigrated before 1830.