Author Topic: George Alexander CLARK born Aberdeen circa 1880 Son of Charles CLARK Stone Mason  (Read 1136 times)

Offline brynjon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi, I am fairly new to this site however, I thought I would try my luck with looking for the family of my great grandfather George Alexander CLARK who was a mariner both merchant and RN. I do not think his RN career was the best looking at his record cards posted on the Ancestry site when I was subscribing there. GAC was listed as being a slight man of 5'3" and not the burly seafaring figure I had imagined.
Searching for records for him has been tricky as he was married in Sunderland, Durham in 1904 to an Australian lady Florence Colvet BRADLEY b1882. The marriage was in Sunderland which is how I gleaned his place of birth and father's name/occupation. I have looked as best I can and found a Charles CLARK stone mason in 1881 census at Blackhill Cruden, Aberdeen, 1891 census at Kings Crescent, St Nicholas, Aberdeen along with a George born around the right time but George is gone from 1901 census where that Charles is at Mounthooly 6, Aberdeen.

Now stone masons are I assume quite prevalent due to the granite in Aberdeen and I may be barking up the wrong tree.

The wife of Charles was Elizabeth and George's siblings were John 1868, Charles 1870, William A 1872, James 1874, Anna Beda 1877. All the boys appeared to go on to be Granite Cutters apart from George Alexander. It could be he is not connected, however, should anyone know how I may go about confirming the George highlighted is my GGrandfather I would be grateful.

My GGF went on to have 5 sons, my Grandfather James Herbert, Robert E, Charles, Arthur and George W.

Best regards - Bryn
WOOD - Sunderland descendants of Thomas WOOD Master Mariner - b1805 in Stockton and Jane HORNSBY.

CLARK - Forebears - my great grandparents George Alexander CLARK (Mariner) born app 1879 Aberdeen married Sunderland 1904 to Florence Colvet BRADLEY b abt 1882 in Australia
KNAPP (Mariners) - ex of Kent moving to Seaham.
APPLEBY - Seaham Harbour (Children of Great x 2 Uncle John (boat owner) inc. Sir Alfred Appleby moved away).

JONES - Seaham Harbour Great Grandfather Thomas Emrys JONES b1868

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: George Alexander CLARK born Aberdeen circa 1880 Son of Charles CLARK Stone Mason
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 November 15 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Bryan,

Here's the mother and marriage based on a "Elizabeth" and "Cruden" search conducted on SP.

1868 CLARK CHARLES TAYLOR ELIZABETH CRUDEN /ABERDEEN 185/00 0006

George should be one of these or perhaps both if the 1877 died in infancy - Scot's don't like to waste a good name :)

1877 CLARK GEORGE M CRUDEN /ABERDEEN 185/00 0018   
1878 CLARK GEORGE M CRUDEN /ABERDEEN 185/00 0118

You can download the originals at SP http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk which will cost some coin but well worth it in my opinion.

And in case you are wondering, 2nd given names are not always noted on births.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline brynjon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Alexander CLARK born Aberdeen circa 1880 Son of Charles CLARK Stone Mason
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 November 15 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Don. I have a SP account so will dig those out.

Many thanks - Bryn
WOOD - Sunderland descendants of Thomas WOOD Master Mariner - b1805 in Stockton and Jane HORNSBY.

CLARK - Forebears - my great grandparents George Alexander CLARK (Mariner) born app 1879 Aberdeen married Sunderland 1904 to Florence Colvet BRADLEY b abt 1882 in Australia
KNAPP (Mariners) - ex of Kent moving to Seaham.
APPLEBY - Seaham Harbour (Children of Great x 2 Uncle John (boat owner) inc. Sir Alfred Appleby moved away).

JONES - Seaham Harbour Great Grandfather Thomas Emrys JONES b1868