Author Topic: Cosgrove/Conlin Marriage 1856  (Read 791 times)

Offline JQ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cosgrove/Conlin Marriage 1856
« on: Sunday 01 November 15 23:05 GMT (UK) »
My ancestor (Bridget Conlin) married Martin Cosgrove and came to Australia on the Vocalist in 1857 (with two of Bridget's children).
Bridget had previously had children with Thomas McGuinness in Ireland and according to family folklore he left her at the time of the potato famine and went to the US. Bridget then went to England. She married Martin Cosgrove and they came to Australia.

I have a marriage certificate for 28 January 1856 showing Bridget married Martin at St Andrews RC Church Union Road, Cambridge (witnesses Michael Reilley and Margaret McCinture, if I have read the writing correctly). It says it is No. 7. Would this marriage be the one listed on the Cambridge register as:
Marriage COSGRAVE Martin
CONLIN Bridget  1856 331/RO/CAM/03/7
I can't see how I can attach a copy to this post.

On Ancestry I have found another entry: England & Wales Free BMD Marriage Index 1837-1915 for Bridget Conlin for 1856  Cambridgeshire Vol. 3b Page 713 Records on page: Eliza Arnold, Bridget Conlin, Margin Cosgrove, Samuel Kettle. So I am not sure if this is another marriage or even if Bridget is the bride.

So the first part of my question:(a)  Is the certificate I have the marriage referred to in the Cambridge Index above, and (b) Is the Ancestry reference a marriage between a Bridget Conlin and Martin Cosgrove that I should order or even if Bridget and Martin are the bride and groom?

The second part of my question: Of course, I am trying to find whatever information I can about Bridget but I think first I have to sort out the marriage and then use the information from the marriage certificate to further my research.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Cosgrove/Conlin Marriage 1856
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 November 15 23:16 GMT (UK) »
On the GRO index the marriage appears as follows

Bridget Conlin
Martin Cosgrove

GRO reference March qtr 1856 Cambridgeshire  Volume   3b Page 713

From Family Search  https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2DQW-2K4

Anything else are mistranscriptions - there is only one marriage and you have the right certificate
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline JQ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 November 15 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Carole for the quick response and the confirmation.

I have only found the Cambridge registry today and after posting my questions had the brainwave to search under one of the other names and could possibly answer my own question!! Yes there is an entry for:
331/RO/CAM/03/6 M KETTLE Samuel
ARNOLD Eliza  1856
There is only one reference number apart so they were probably each other's witnesses.

So now I have a father's name for Bridget - Michael Conlin.
Also I know that Bridget lived at Newmarket Road, Cambridge (as did Martin) in 1956. So where to now?

Thank you.

Offline JQ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 November 15 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello Carole
On the Vocalist records, Bridget's daughter, Anne/Annie, is shown as being 7 and born in Cambridge (about 1850). I can't find a birth on the Cambridge index, how do I look on the GRO that you mention?
On the Cambridge index I looked under Conlin, McGuinness and Cosgrove.

Thanks
Judith

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 November 15 00:34 GMT (UK) »
I assume she married as Conlin because Thomas was still alive.  I would have expected her to marry as McGuinness

Most of the emigration caused by the potato famine was between 1845-1852 so depending on which year Thomas left for the US could determine what surname Ann/Annie may have been registered under.

There is no birth reg in Cambridge for Ann but failure to register a birth only became a fineable offence in 1874 so many births went unregistered prior to then.

There is no 1851 census entry in Cambridge that fits either 

There is an 1851 entry in Islington for a Martin & Bridget Cosgrove but they can be found in 1861 living in Northumberland so not your couple 
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline JQ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 November 15 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Yes Carole, she married as Conlin and described herself as a 'widow' although I haven't been able to find any marriage in Ireland to Thomas so assume they weren't married but she did have two children with her.
As McGuinness is so common I can't find any information when he went to the US.

On Annie's death certificate it shows father as unknown and born in Cambridge, England so that is why I thought she might be registered under Conlin. It could be spelt Conlan.

The marriage to Martin Cosgrove may have been of convenience to come to Australia, don't know.

Thank you for your help with the census information. I am a novice, you do everything so quickly.

Judith