Author Topic: Looking for Lewis(Louis) and Jane Doyle circa 1850  (Read 1306 times)

Offline KFTDoyle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Lewis(Louis) and Jane Doyle circa 1850
« on: Monday 02 November 15 18:56 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for my 3x great grandparents, Lewis and Jane Doyle of Wicklow.  in 1850, my great great grandfather, Patrick Doyle, came to America.  He settled in Wisconsin and his marriage certificate lists his parents' names and Lewis and Jane, of County Wicklow.  I have found a Patt Doyle in 1824 baptism records for Rathvilly Parish in Co.Carlow that match the approximate date of Patrick's birth, and the parents are listed as Louis Doyle and Jane Fitzgerald.  Also found a Irish Civil Registration Index that show a Lewis Doyle died in Baltinglass in 1870. Can I be safe in hoping that these are the family I am looking for?  I know Wicklow and Carlow are neighboring counties, but I'm wondering if it would be common to cross county lines for baptisms, etc.    Anyone with any information, I thank you in advance!  I am especially interested in knowing the town they lived in, and any other family members. 

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Lewis(Louis) and Jane Doyle circa 1850
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 November 15 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Rathvilly Parish crosses into County Wicklow
http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/fuses/rcparishmaps/index.cfm?fuseaction=rctocivil&churchid=0727&church=Rathvilly
Here you can see the Civil Parish of Kilranelagh in Wicklow is in the RC Parish of Rathvilly.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 November 15 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Oh and Welcome to RootsChat

Offline KFTDoyle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 November 15 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Sinann!

This is great information. I do see in the link provided that Newtown is within the Parish of Kilranelagh, and I do believe I have found a possible sister for Patt, Catherine, who was baptised in 1831 at the same parish with "Newtown" listed as the residence.  Residence at time of Patt's baptism was Tynaclash.  I hope these are all the same people.  Hard to know as town names have changed too.  Once again, Thanks!  So excited to get such a quick and helpful reply.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 November 15 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Griffiths Valuation has a Lewis Doyle in Rathbran in 1854, this may be the man who died 1870.
There are two records but likely the same man. The site doesn't work very well on iPad so I can't see much.
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=nameSearch

This is a land valuation so only those who owned or named as renting land are listed so there could be other Lewis Doyle's in the county.

Offline KFTDoyle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you dathai!  I had not seen either of those pieces of information.  I feel I am getting closer!

Thanks again, Sinann for another great resource!

You are super sleuths!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Just a few thoughts, pure speculation, no facts.
The Lewis in Rathbane with House Offices and Land looks like the Lewis that dathai found died 1885.
That would put the 1870 death back in the frame for your Lewis.

The second Lewis in Griffith's could be an agriculture labourer with just a house,(why would the Lewis with a farm house need a second house?) in which case he could be yours.

If there are births to Lewis and Jane in different townlands was he a Agriculture Labourer with no permanent home?
If there are no other children to this couple why would his son leave if there was a farm to inherit. His sister could have got it of course, he may have just wanted to leave.

There could be earlier children, and Lewis may not be in Griffiths because his father or mother or parents in law are still alive so listed on the farm in Griffiths.

A careful look around for other children would be a good idea and maybe see what happened to Catherine if possible (if she is his sister) she might be in the 1901 Census but likely married so a different surname.