Author Topic: Edmund Douglas Archibald of Tunbridge Wells  (Read 1612 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edmund Douglas Archibald of Tunbridge Wells
« on: Tuesday 03 November 15 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello; I am looking for someone who has access to articles in the Kent & Sussex Courier to provide any articles on the following.

Edmund Douglas Archibald (1851-1913)and his wife Janet Helen Archibald and children were living at Grosvenor House on Grosvenor Road at the time of the 1881 census and at the location he was a tutor at a military prep school in meteorology. Edmund was an expert on meteorology and was well known in this field. He continued to live in Tunbridge Wells for most of the 1880's and while there conducted various experiments using kites with instruments attached to them.

While in the town he undertook experiments using kites to take photographs and wind speed data etc. The first article I am looking for is in the Courier dated May 18,1888 about "Aerostatic Experiments in Tunbridge Wells".This reference appeared in a book.  Its my understanding Edmund is the man who did these experiments and so I would like to read what was said.

A more difficult request relates to the statement that Edmund was the first man in the world to take a photograph with a camera mounted on a kite. No exact date is given but the year is 1882 and this he did while living in Tunbridge Wells. A large number of books/articles etc state this event took place in 1882 so I think the year will be very accurate. Unfortunately a more specific date (month/day) are not given for this historically significant event and I would like to read an article about it. Being so important an event there must have been a report about it in the Kent & Sussex Courier. I expect he conducted these experiments on The Commons where there would be plenty of open ground and a good breeze for operating the kites used in his experiments.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
Re: Edmund Douglas Archibald of Tunbridge Wells
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 02:57 GMT (UK) »
A more difficult request relates to the statement that Edmund was the first man in the world to take a photograph with a camera mounted on a kite. No exact date is given but the year is 1882 and this he did while living in Tunbridge Wells. A large number of books/articles etc state this event took place in 1882 so I think the year will be very accurate.

Hi.  This detailed article cites two articles written by Archibald himself where he claimed the photography took place in either 1887 or 1888 although it appears no photographs were ever published:

https://bkites.wordpress.com/1997/01/22/

There appears to be no evidence at all to support the frequently published date of 1882.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the interesting references-a big help.

I would still like to see a copy of the 1888 Kent & sussex newspaper article please.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 20:26 GMT (UK) »
British Newspaper Archive:

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results?basicsearch=aerostatic%20experiments%20in%20tunbridge%20wells

When you register for the site you get 3 free downloads.

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 November 15 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello;

The British Newspaper so called 3 free downloads is a gimmick.Once you register to get the 'free' downloads you have a real hard time trying to cancel the subscription and Im told you don't get to select what 'free' downloads you want.

If you think there is no problem then why don't you subscribe for the free downloads and post the one I am after here.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 November 15 11:30 GMT (UK) »
There is a difference between registering and subscribing.

I have registered in the past and received my 3 free downloads.  I have had no further issues with the site and I have never bothered to cancel the registration.   I received exactly the downloads I requested.    I'm not sure how you could get anything else since all you do is click on the link to the article you searched for.

You only subscribe if you want to purchase further downloads after the first three that are free.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Smokey807 - Did you get the 1888 K&S Courier article?

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 January 16 11:07 GMT (UK) »
No I never got the 1888 K & S article