Author Topic: Charles Wright/Comfort Umney North Crawley ish  (Read 2897 times)

Offline flateric999

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Wright/Comfort Umney North Crawley ish
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 20:28 GMT (UK) »
His marriage cert will confirm if his father was Enoch

Several on line trees suggest he this Charles is Enoch/Harriets daughter

Always do your own research - many people just copy info from other peoples trees which can give the impression they are all "singing from the same hymn sheet".  If the one they copied from is wrong so are all the others

It is a massive problem with on line trees is they are not always accurate. If i find a conflict i post up on here as several heads are better than one, and i am not always right.

Back to Charles. There is another Charles born  in North Crawley of the right age who marries Lucy in London.

Mike

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 21:15 GMT (UK) »
I guess this is the marriage - but not Newport Pagnell?   

7 Apr 1890, St Mark, Walworth

Elizabeth Umney
Age    24
Father  Frederick Umney, labourer

Charles Wright, labourer
Age    28
Father Enock Wright, labourer

Both give address as 14 Rodney Place. Witnesses William and Eva Jane Maile

Offline flateric999

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 21:40 GMT (UK) »
I guess this is the marriage - but not Newport Pagnell?   

7 Apr 1890, St Mark, Walworth

Elizabeth Umney
Age    24
Father  Frederick Umney, labourer

Charles Wright, labourer
Age    28
Father Enock Wright, labourer

Both give address as 14 Rodney Place. Witnesses William and Eva Jane Maile

Its one i found but discounted, She was born in Olney and was living in Newport Pagnell, He was born North Crawley, rwhy marry London and move back to Newport.

Current theory is this Charles marries Lucy. All i know about Lucy is she was born in North Crawley between 1851 and 56 and they marry and are on cencus in 1881 in Newington along with a Daughter sarah age 7, also born North Crawley.

So maybe this is the right charles?

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 21:57 GMT (UK) »
I'm slightly confused - I thought you were after the marriage of Charles Wright, possibly son of Enoch, and an Umney, as I posted? Who exactly are you trying to find?

Might be useful to know that the witnesses were husband and wife - Eva being from North Crawley, born c1870 to a Dorcas Claydon, nee Gildewell

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 22:58 GMT (UK) »
I think you need to tell us how Charles fits in your FH as you don't seem to have a lot of positive info about him

If you are an indirect descendant (ie) via one of his siblings - you would know for certain who his parents were and would also know his birthyear from census info whereas your post expresses some uncertainty about both

Basically Charles was born in North Crawley between 1851 - 1861. It appears he is the son of Enoch Wright (Astwood) and Harriet Campion.

But then you say you have him on the 1861 aged 9 so must know for certain who his parents were. The 1890 marriage entry confirms his 1891/1901 birthyear and the marriage confirms his father as Enoch

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline flateric999

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 23:12 GMT (UK) »
I'm slightly confused - I thought you were after the marriage of Charles Wright, possibly son of Enoch, and an Umney, as I posted? Who exactly are you trying to find?

Might be useful to know that the witnesses were husband and wife - Eva being from North Crawley, born c1870 to a Dorcas Claydon, nee Gildewell

I'm really confused, this does look right, but why walworth?

In 1871 there is a Charles Wright lodging in Stoke Goldington with Thomas Claydon and
Newland Glidewell, which ties in nicely with the London wedding.

So it maybe that they appear to be living back in newport pagnell a few doors from Comfort's parents.

Enoch would be alone as his wife died before 1890.

The confusion arised because both scenarios where possoible, so far i have been considering the merits of both but i am leaning towards Charles and Comfort being the right couple.

Mike

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 23:16 GMT (UK) »
The 1861 entry for all children is indexed as Right

Enoch Wright   41
Harriet     41
All following shown as Right
Lucy 18
Harry  14
Alfred  11
Adelaide 6
Charles  9
Elizabeth  3
Fredrick  1
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline flateric999

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 23:17 GMT (UK) »
I think you need to tell us how Charles fits in your FH as you don't seem to have a lot of positive info about him

If you are an indirect descendant (ie) via one of his siblings - you would know for certain who his parents were and would also know his birthyear from census info whereas your post expresses some uncertainty about both

Basically Charles was born in North Crawley between 1851 - 1861. It appears he is the son of Enoch Wright (Astwood) and Harriet Campion.

But then you say you have him on the 1861 aged 9 so must know for certain who his parents were. The 1890 marriage entry confirms his 1891/1901 birthyear and the marriage confirms his father as Enoch

I think i know who it is but there are two possible Charles both in North Crawley but to different parents. One marries Lucy, the other marries comfort. He is 9 in 1861 but is not on the 1871 cencus with Enoch/Harriet. There are two Charles Wrights as lodgers, one in Crawley with Nurslaws who have a family connection, the other in goldington with family who act as witnesses to the charles / comfort wedding.

Mike

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 23:24 GMT (UK) »
I think i know who it is but there are two possible Charles both in North Crawley but to different parents.

Sorry but that still doesn't answer my question as to where he fits in your FH etc.  How can you determine which is the right Charles by guesswork without more positive info re: parentage or via his own children?