Author Topic: Downes family of Pot Shrigley Cheshire circa 1600  (Read 3056 times)

Offline Toney Dunaway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Downes family of Pot Shrigley Cheshire circa 1600
« on: Tuesday 03 November 15 19:54 GMT (UK) »
I've traced my paternal side back to what seems to be an Edward Downes circa 1600-1645. My research shows that he was part of the Downes family of Pot Shrigley, but I haven't found all of the family lines of that family. I've seen trees that focused on a few of the descendants, to show that they owned property there and got into financial trouble, before letting the property go. I need to know if there is any information on the other descendants of that family. My research shows that Edward left that area and came to America and apparently changed his name to Dunaway, apparently starting the Dunaway line around the Virginia area, leading to Derby or Darby Dunaway.

Again, looking for all information on Edward Downes, circa 1600-1645. Thank you!

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Downes family of Pot Shrigley circa 1600
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat! ;D

For anyone else, eho like me was wondering . . .  Pott Shrigley is in Cheshire! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Toney Dunaway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Downes family of Pot Shrigley circa 1600
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 02:59 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, and thank you :)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Downes family of Pot Shrigley Cheshire circa 1600
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Toney,

I have moved your post to our Cheshire board as it quite specific to this area. :)

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Toney Dunaway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Sarah :)

Offline Taxall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 17:28 GMT (UK) »
There is a pedigree of the Cheshire Downes of Pott Shigley and Taxall. Have you not seen it?
The name is particularly common in Cheshire and Lancs

Offline Toney Dunaway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 18:42 GMT (UK) »
There is a pedigree of the Cheshire Downes of Pott Shigley and Taxall. Have you not seen it?
The name is particularly common in Cheshire and Lancs

I have seen this pedigree: http://www.thornber.net/cheshire/htmlfiles/pottshrigley.html but it does not list all of the lines/family/descendants. I need to see the ones that are not listed.

Offline Taxall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 18:57 GMT (UK) »
You will find it very difficult unless you get a genealogist.I have taken mine back to 1570 in Nuneaton, Warwickshire. My belief is that my Downes came out of vicar in Nuneaton, George Downes, who the record says 'came out of Cheshire'.
The Downes family certainly ran out of money and heirs in the 18th c. I assume you have seen the Downes Papers that take the family back to 1233? I think there was a quote I read saying that they had insufficient money for dowries and were forced to marry the daughters to professionals arther than the gentry

I think it's in the National Archives. I am surprised your lot changed their name

Offline Toney Dunaway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 19:43 GMT (UK) »
You will find it very difficult unless you get a genealogist.I have taken mine back to 1570 in Nuneaton, Warwickshire. My belief is that my Downes came out of vicar in Nuneaton, George Downes, who the record says 'came out of Cheshire'.
The Downes family certainly ran out of money and heirs in the 18th c. I assume you have seen the Downes Papers that take the family back to 1233? I think there was a quote I read saying that they had insufficient money for dowries and were forced to marry the daughters to professionals arther than the gentry

I think it's in the National Archives. I am surprised your lot changed their name

I actually do not think I've seen the Downes Papers going back to 1233. Do you have a link or some resource for me to see? As far as the name change, that's one thing I'm trying to put in concrete...though some research has led me to believe that my paternal line is linked to this line of Downes, I have not yet found a concrete connection, so I'm still not positive. And, if this is true, I DO wonder why the name was changed. Was it because of the financial trouble? Or maybe a civil war? Or something else?