Author Topic: Luke Hayden and Elizabeth Mullany, married in Roscommon 1871  (Read 3636 times)

Offline hvsmith73

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Luke Hayden and Elizabeth Mullany, married in Roscommon 1871
« on: Wednesday 04 November 15 01:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello to all!  I am going to post this here and see if I get any bites. :)

I am tracing my husband's Irish ancestry in advance of a trip to Ireland in April 2016.  We are hoping to visit some graveyards, churches, or farmlands relevant to his ancestors.  I have the Roman Catholic church and civil record for Luke Hayden and Elizabeth Mullany, married in 1871, Keadue Civil, possibly in Crossna Church, which is the farthest back I have been able to trace confidently.  This record lists Luke Hayden as being from the townland of Glooria and Eliza being from Derreendooey.  It lists Luke's father as Edward Hayden and Eliza's father as Michael Mullany (see attached).

I also have all their children's birth records as well, some born in Co. Leitrim and the rest in Co. Roscommon before some or all came to the United States and settled in Providence, Rhode Island.  Their children were (twins) Peter and Patrick b. 1872, Mary b. 1873, Edward b. 1875, John b. 1878, Helen (Lena) b. 1879, Luke b. 1880 (my husband's great grandfather), and James b. 1884.

I have found Michael Mullany in the Griffith's Valuation in Derreendooey and have been able to use the old/new map to see exactly where the land is.  We plan to visit there as I am pretty certain that it's the same Michael Mullany as Eliza's father.  I don't know Eliza's mother's name, I would love to find that out.  Help would be appreciated!

I also need some help with Luke's father Edward Hayden and his mother (which I don't know).  There was another family from Glooria with a father named Edward Hayden and his wife Teresa (Healy) Hayden, along with their children.  Because of the location and the timing of their marriages, I think that this Edward Hayden who married Teresa and our Luke Hayden who married Eliza may have been brothers (this is just a hunch).  Teresa (Healy) Hayden was widowed and also moved to the US with her children, and settled in Providence, Rhode Island as well.  I have records here in Providence where some of their they actually lived in the same home with some of our family.  So I do believe there to be a connection.

I know there is also a Luke Hayden who represented Roscommon in the Parliament, and I think there could be a family connection there also, but I haven't been able to say definitively.

Does anyone have any information about this family?  Edward Hayden (father of Luke and possibly Edward), his wife's name?  Also Eliza Mullany's parents, Michael Mullany and his wife's name?  Also any possible connections to the Luke Hayden in Parliament?

Thank you any advance for any leads!  I really appreciate it and we're looking forward to a great trip.

Heather

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Luke Hayden and Elizabeth Mullany, married in Roscommon 1871
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 02:04 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat
This is the church record of Luke and Elizabeth's marriage
http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633864#page/40/mode/1up
Top left
Hopefully you can find more by searching the earlier records of this parish.

Offline hvsmith73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much!  I have seen that entry.  Is that entire record book digitized?  Or could flipping through the book yield new information for me?  I appreciate it.

Hoping to see if anyone here shares connection to this family.  Would love to meet up with some "cousins"!

Heather

Offline hvsmith73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 12:05 GMT (UK) »
I am also curious about the record book, where Michael Hanly is listed as "C.C. of Ardcarn".  Does that mean Catholic Church of Ardcarn?  In the digitized entry, it says "Crossna Church", which seems to be located at Crossing Road in Knockvicar.  A bit of research reveals that a new church was built on the site of the old one, the old one being where our ancestors may have been married.  Is there another old RC church in Ardcarn?

Thanks again!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 13:53 GMT (UK) »
As you have see RootsIreland has transcriptions and while they could be well done in this case, they could also have errors so it's better to check the images on the NLI site.
Also check if both sites cover the same time period.

The RootsIreland transcripts were done from the records held in the parish.
The images on NLI was collected much earlier, some are old transcripts sent to Dublin some are images taken from the parish register, (which seems to be the case here) but always worth cross checking.

C.C is Catholic Cutate. (Junior priest) you will see P.P on other entries for Parish Priest (senior priest).

I don't know about the churches but likely from your research that the register of the old Ardcarn church is held in the newer Crossna Church.

Good luck with your search and I hope you have a great visit to Ireland.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather and welcome

I think that Luke and Elizabeth may have had a ninth child - Eliza HEYDEN on Jan 06 1877

I cannot see a baptism for Luke however there is a baptism for a John HEYDAN
in Ardcarne/Cootehall on Jul 30 1843
His parents are shown as Edward HEYDEN and Mary MEEGAN
Baptism sponsors as Edward HEYDEN and Brigid MEEGAN

I would keep this in mind while searching as:
One of Peter HAYDEN's baptism sponsors in 1872 was John HAYDEN
One of Mary HAYDEN's baptism sponsors in 1873 was Mary MEEGAN
These may, however, have been neighbour rather than relatives
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline hvsmith73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I believe you're right.  Some children were born in Roscommon and some were born in Leitrim.  Thank you for the leads! 

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 08:50 GMT (UK) »

Hello again Heather,

When you visit next year you may find enquiring of the Valuation office http://www.valoff.ie/en/Archives_Genealogy_Public_Office/  of the revision books noting changes to the tenancy of the land holding in Glooria, Ardcarne, Roscommon.

The Griffith Valuation has the townland spelled as Gloria rather than Glooria and another anomally that may need addressing is the entry for Edmind Hedian. Edward can be interchangeable for Edmund and it may be the case the surname had been altered from Hedian to Hayden. If the same plot of land is occupied by Edward (decd) family in the 1901 census it may support the theory of the name variation suggested. The plot lies adjacent to that of a Meehan who may be the connection to Mary Meegan noted in a previous comment.

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=doNameSearch&PlaceID=1106782&county=Roscommon&barony=Boyle&parish=Ardcarn&townland=Gloria

It should also be noted that a Meehan family remain in Glooria to date and the obituary below
http://rip.ie/showdn.php?dn=213571/JohnMEEHAN/Cootehall/Roscommon may help in a point of contact on your future visit.

This is easier than pm’s on facebook

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 09:15 GMT (UK) »

As a baseline, the Tithes http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/results.jsp?surname=&firstname=&county=&parish=&townland=glora&search=Search
do not indicate a family Hayden or Hedian, though a Mughan (Meehan/Meegan) were present. Edward Hayden possibly married into the land circa 1830’s given the estimated birth of Edward jnr of circa 1835 from his RIC details.