Author Topic: Looking for missing Goodyer child  (Read 1684 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for missing Goodyer child
« on: Wednesday 04 November 15 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Edward Herbert Goodyer married Iley Ann Scott on 19 Jun 1902 at St Barnabas, Sutton Surrey.
Their known pre-1911 children were
Jessie Isabel Kate Goodyer born 24 May 1903 Willesden and Frank Charles Goodyer born 14 July 1907.
In the 1911 census it shows they had a third child who had died before 1911.

By 1908 they had moved to Beaconsfield. Jessie was admitted to Beaconsfield school on 22 Jun 1908, readmitted on 21 June 1909 and left due to illness on 11 Jan 1909.
Frank was admitted to the same school on 1 Feb 1911, readmitted 7 Oct 1912 and left 6 Jun 1913, reason gone away for health. Both school admission records give address as Candlemas Lane

I am trying to trace the third child, possibly born approx 1905 in Willesden (would be registered Hendon). Or born Beaconsfield 1908 onwards.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for missing Goodyer child
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi LizzieL,

Any clues as to where, when?

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi LizzieL,

Any clues as to where, when?

Alan

Added now, message posted itself halfway through typing. Could be piece of toast on keyboard ;D
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Hoover out that toast!

There are a couple in Hendon spelt Goodyear to eliminate.  The other children had at least one other name so if the dates are far enough apart

Georgina Durant Goodyear Jun 1904
Lilian Maud Goodyear Mar 1910

Georgina Durant Goodyear death age 6 Willesden Jun 1910 although I see you said the family had moved by then  :-\

Oh dear looks like Lilian Maud dies too but not till after the 1911 so not her.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for trying, I hadn't checked Goodyear.
Goodger is the usual misspelling, because that is how the family pronounced the name, but none of those turn up.
I would think if he / she is ever found they would have at least two forenames, that side of the family tended to do that.
Jessie's two forenames are after Edward's two sisters and Frank Charles are after Edward's two brothers or his uncle Frank and his grandfather Charles (who is also my 2 x great grandfather).
Iley's parents were Stephen and Elizabeth so those names might crop up too. 

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 May 17 09:14 BST (UK) »
Now that the GRO index is on line and includes mother's maiden name pre-1911, I have a possibility. George Goodyer (mmn Scott) birth reg Orsett district Q4 1905 and died in same district same quarter. The year would fit between other children, but why were they in Orsett district for that birth and death, when the two children born either side were born in Willesden? Also George only has one forename and other children have two or three. I have found the odd Goodyer in Orsett district on censuses and bmd records but they seem completely unconnected to my family, so I doubt they were staying with relatives when the birth and death took place.

Can anyone find an alternative family this George might belong to or find any connection between any Orsett Goodyers and mine, please. Mine originated from Bury, Sussex, but Edward's father John Trevatt Goodyer moved to south London / Surrey. He moved back to Bury for a few years when his father (Clement Goodyer) died, then back to Surrey, then finally to Beaconsfield, Bucks.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 March 21 15:41 GMT (UK) »
I've gone back to this little puzzle.
I have found the burial of the George Goodyer whose birth and death were registered in Orsett district.
He was buried at Stanford le Hope on 27 Dec 1905, age 4 hours!. The residence was 16 Grove Road, Stanford le Hope.
 I have checked 1901 and 1911 censuses. In 1901 the road isn't listed. In 1911 a young family, who have been married 4 years is living at number 16. The numbers only go up to 24 and a few are missing.
Looking at Google maps number 16 is a bungalow (now with loft conversion) but looks about 1920s. The 1911 census says number 16 has 5 rooms, as do its neighbours. The odd numbers on Grove road do look more likely to have 5 rooms and built between 1901 and 1911. It also looks like there around 24 similar houses on that one side. I think only the odd numbered side existed in 1911 and were numbered consecutively then.
My Edward Herbert Goodyer and family were in Beaconsfield in 1911, he was a foreman carpenter. He later ran a building company. So it is possible the family had moved to Stanford le Hope while he was building houses and they lived briefly in one of the newly built ones. As the baby only lived a few hours, possibly they didn't have time to think up more than one forename.