Author Topic: Underwoods Great Yarmouth  (Read 2967 times)

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Underwoods Great Yarmouth
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 04:12 GMT (UK) »
Thomas SIMMONS
England and Wales Marriage Registration Index, 1837-2005
1876 Romford, Essex to Ellen WALKER

So married Essex not London which fits where they were living in 1881

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Mollyrobz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Trish,
Thank you for this info, I believe it's the right person  :)
Sadly none of it brings me any closer to making a genuine connection. I just can't seem to find a birth certificate for Louisa anywhere  ???
What I can't understand is this, if Louisa's dad WAS named James Thomas surely they wouldn't have a brother named Thomas or James (depending on which one that you're looking at!) also I think The Thomas Simmons in question would've passed away when Louisa was young, so she could've gotten his name wrong but if it was indeed John James (her older brother) who was a witness to her marriage, he would've known his dad by the name Thomas and surely would've corrected her  ???
I don't know...this is all giving me such a headache. I just want that connection...perhaps I'll never find it  :(
Molly

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 12 November 15 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Likely death of Thomas Simmons -1893 aged 53.
I really wouldn't worry too much about the name that Louisa gave her father on her marriage certificate- she was probably just wrong -or the registrar made a mistake. (My great grandmother's marriage certificate gave her the wrong christian name & her right name as her middle name. Everything else fits & her correct name was on the baptism of all 15 of their children.)

I was wrong about Gertrude in Norwich being a possible- she died the same year as her birth. :(

Cooper- Berks, Herts, Wrexham,Birmingham
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex
Hambling, Royal,Dale,Jackson, Tann, Boatwright Edridge/Etheridge/Uttridge -all Norfolk
Osborne-Norfolk and Northumberland/Durham

Offline Mollyrobz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 12 November 15 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Helle Janfurness,
Thank you for your reply. Is there any other route you think that I could possibly go to try and get definitive proof? I suppose buying a few of the kids birth certificates and seeing who the witnesses are? What did you mean her name was correct on the births? You mean Louisa?
Also if it is right, how easy is it to find Irish records, I believe Ellen Walker was her name from a first marriage, her birth name was Mary Ellen Gordon. So I have something to go off  :)
Molly

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 13 November 15 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Sorry if I confused you Mollyrobz- I just meant that mistakes on marriage records can be made -and gave you the example of my gg grandmother whose name was wrong on her marriage record. Because all the other evidence was there -census and baptisms- I was able to conclude that it was a mistake on that one record.
If you are happy that your other records for Louisa are correct I shouldn't worry too much about her father being recorded as James Thomas not just Thomas. It might be a simple error made by the registrar. Her father was dead-perhaps Uncle James gave her away and the registrar got confused.

I don't know much about Irish records, but if you post a request on the Rootschat Ireland board I'm sure someone will be able to help you with Ellen. Good luck  :)
Cooper- Berks, Herts, Wrexham,Birmingham
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex
Hambling, Royal,Dale,Jackson, Tann, Boatwright Edridge/Etheridge/Uttridge -all Norfolk
Osborne-Norfolk and Northumberland/Durham

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Nanny and Grandad married in 1921
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 14 November 15 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Some irish records online here:

http://www.nli.ie/

click onto Catholic Parish Registers at NLI    (on the left in blue)
then type in the parish of interest

I see you have Inishillen as  Ellen's birth place  but I can't see an Inishillen.  I wonder, Enniskillen perhaps!

Chris

Offline Mollyrobz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 15 November 15 17:31 GMT (UK) »
To be honest I'm not confident with it at all! ;D the only info I really have is her name on her marriage cert with a witness named John James Simmons and some census records of a Louisa that kind of matches the dates of my louisa (until you get to her death cert) and this Louisa had a brother named John Simmons. I need a birth certificate, I can deal with the death cert being a bit out on the birth date as nobody might not of known her actual age! That's not unusual. I don't know, I may put a tack in it for now :)
Molly