Author Topic: My first Photoshop restoration  (Read 4022 times)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
My first Photoshop restoration
« on: Thursday 14 July 05 11:15 BST (UK) »
I know it's not a jot on the work that some of you folk can do, but I'm very proud that I've finally got the hang of this clean-up business, and wanted to show you what I've just finished:  a picture of my 2xg-grandfather, Edward Charles INGRAM.

I used a really, REALLY simplified set of instructions for Photoshop Elements 3.0 (http://northlite.50megs.com/ps/eyes/eyes.htm) - substituting the "Dust and Scratches" filter for the "sharpen" in the instructions - and had success.  The instructions are very basic, but I found that's what I needed as I make my way through this new software.

Anyway, just wanted to share!  ;D
Prue

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My first Photoshop restoration
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 July 05 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Prue

Nice one  ;) and thumbs up to you

Hope you dont mind me having a play with it?
Using your picture I have added edge preserving smooth and a fresh sepia effect.

Regards
Ken

Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 July 05 00:44 BST (UK) »
Your in the grove now Prue. That's a respectable first effort. I was impressed with the link site you posted. It's a very clean uncluttered web site that has easy to follow instructions.

Have you had a go at the John Haynes yet? I hope you post your efforts on that photo as I'm interested to see how PSE3 does the job.

Ken, is edge preserving a psp filter?
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 July 05 10:50 BST (UK) »
Hi deadants

It is part of PSP9, which I have found to be most helpful

Extract from help file:-
Use the Edge Preserving Smooth command to remove noise in an image without losing edge details. This command finds details such as object edges and preserves them, while smoothing the areas between the edges. For example, you can preserve the edges of facial features while removing a blotchy complexion. You can also use the Edge Preserving Smooth command to minimize film grain.

Regards
Ken
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 July 05 13:39 BST (UK) »
Ken I think your effort looks great, definitely an improvement on mine.  Thanks for having a go!
Deadants, I will have a go at the John Haynes pic and post my attempt on that thread - if I consider it not too embarrassing!!

Thank you both for your encouragement

Prue

Offline Cal241

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • does my butt look big in this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 July 05 17:49 BST (UK) »
Hey Prue
Our old Edward Charles scrubs up really well.
Thanks Ken too
Cal
UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk                Bigg-Sheppey/West Ham<br />Dodd - Cheshire <br />Ingram - Dorset, London, Morlaix, Australia, California<br />Kerfoot - Warrington, Pemberton, St Asaph<br />McKinneley - N Ireland, Liverpool <br />Marshall - Midlothian, Cheshire<br />Morrish-Chelsea<br />Shiel - Melrose<br />Woodhall- Liverpool, Shropshire/Staffordshire<br />Dagliesh- Melrose<br />Stevenson - Melrose<br />Smith & Jones! Scotland & Wales