Author Topic: Blunts of Petersfield - Robert Blunt of the Bank of England died 1773  (Read 3859 times)

Offline AlanWatson

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blunts of Petersfield - Robert Blunt of the Bank of England died 1773
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 07 November 15 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Found a will that I find rather hard to read and understand.

Margaret Blunt, wife of Richard Blunt corn chandler of Petersfield, dated 6 April 1732 and proved 30 July 1734 (Canterbury Court).

as well as husband Richard it mentions loving son something Richard Blunt.

It also mentions a power of attorney and most of the bequests are to a family Hall (I think) which seems to include Margaret's sister in law (a widow?), nephews, niece and possibly some others whose relationships aren't clear to me.

I can see her burial,  25 Mar 1734, Petersfield,  but how does she fit into the tree?

Alan

Offline AlanWatson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 07 November 15 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Found the will of Robert Blunt surgeon of Odiham Hampshire proved 2 Nov 1789.

He makes provision for children Mary and Richard both underage. He mentions his nephew Thomas Clement and his nephew William son of brother Thomas Blunt and also his brother William Blunt. Also mentions children's grandmother Mary Eloise?

So this is plainly Robert son of William Blunt and Frances Knight b 1733.

He appears in directories as a surgeon and took an apprentice in 1784 as surgeon /apothecary.

In 1765 Robert Blunt widower of Odiham took out a bond to marry Martha Penford widow.

His first marriage might have been to 1760 to Molly Churcher of Alverstoke.

Still looking for other details.

Alan

PS As JJ knows, we are particularly interested in apothecaries because two of Robert Blunt of the Bank of England's sons became chemists, starting business in Southwark in about 1789.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 07 November 15 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Oh that is so fabulous, I just love finding all these Chymists & Apothecaries ...but which was the one that started it all.  I really want to add it to my online list but I haven't even corrected other info up there. Slow down a bit, Alan....I may never catch up... ;D
Do you suppose the 2 lads Rob't & Thos might have trained outside of London, just as others had come in to apprentice?
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 07 November 15 23:12 GMT (UK) »
EDIT    I've got the wrong Richard.    I was forgetting your Robert and Richard are not the sons of William.  This family is so confusing.  They've got the same names and the same jobs.

There's a couple of possibilities.

Robert Blunt - son of William
1749 apprenticed to William Robinson - apothecary of Portsea, Hants.

Robert Blunt - son of William
1753 apprenticed to John Penford - apothecary of St.Giles, Middlesex
(Maybe he was related to Martha Penford)

Also  -  brother Richard?
Richard Blunt of Petersfield, Hants - son of William
1746 apprenticed to Thomas Wilkinson - carpenter Of Surrey

Offline AlanWatson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 November 15 03:33 GMT (UK) »
William Blunt of Petersfield (1699-1775) who married Frances Knight. (See Little Nell's excellent description of the family above) had a daughter Martha who married Thomas Clement and four sons who survived into adulthood. We know from his will that Thomas inherited property in Petersfield and the others the equivalent in cash. (I think I wrote in my original post that Robert inherited the property. That was a mistake. Sorry.)

Willilam's son Thomas was probably the Thomas Blunt of Petersfield referred to in the 1773 will of Robert Blunt. He was a mealman. He married Mary Matthews in 1656 had a son Robert who was articled to an attorney and then went bankrupt as a money scrivenger. And according to the latest will, he had another son William. Thomas died in 1792 and left a will that we have not yet seen.

William's son Richard (b 1728) was probably apprenticed to a carpenter in Godalming in 1746 (thanks Lilly). Question: he would have been 17. Wouldn't that have been too old to start as an apprentice carpenter?

Willliam's son Robert (b 1733) seems to have been apprenticed twice, once in Portsea in 1749 when he was 15 and once to John Penfold in St Giles in 1753 when he was 19. (Thanks to Lilly for this too.) This seems odd; the first apprenticeship was for seven years, but the detail of the second one in 1753 mentions seven years starting from 1749 (I think). So perhaps the first master died. Robert may have married in 1760. In 1765, as a widower, he married Martha the widow of a Mr Penfold. John Penfold, apothecary of St Giles, died in about 1762. His will was proved 3 January 1763 and made a bequest to his wife Martha. So Robert married his former boss's widow. Robert died in 1789, with two surviving children, Mary and Richard, both underage so presumably with Martha. I can't find most of the birth, marriage or death records though, just John Penfold's will, Robert's will, Robert's bond to marry Martha and what might be Robert's first marriage.

So it looks as if we have sorted out quite a lot of the family of William Blunt, who was our Robert's uncle. We have placed the Thomas Blunt of Petersfield mentioned in Robert's will (the mealman). And we have shown that our Robert's children had at least two family links to the apothecary business, one to William Harffy (surgeon of Chichester), their uncle (or his father and brother who were apothecaries in Horsham and possibly in London), and one to their cousin Robert Blunt, surgeon and apothecary of Odiham.

Lots of steady progress, for which many thanks.

Alan

PS to JJ. I think that we have come across all these apprenticeship entries for Robert Blunt training to be an apothecary and then taking an apprentice himself before. It's just that before we had help putting the family together we had not known whether he was a relative or not.

Offline AlanWatson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 08 November 15 13:40 GMT (UK) »
A small PS on the family of William Blunt. We know from his will and Little Nell's description that he had four surviving sons.

I mentioned Thomas, Richard and Robert in the previous post. The fourth was William. Little Nell tells us that he was b 16 Apr bpt 24 Apr 1724 and that William Blunt the younger was a grocer in 1764.

Looking through the Petersfield marriage records, I see 6 Feb 1758   William Blunt Grocer, Wdr, 30y Petersfield married Anne Horspoole Spin, 25y, Petersfield Lic 4 Feb.

So William the grocer was definitely married at least twice, but if the 30y age doesn't fit the date of his birth.

Alan

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 08 November 15 17:23 GMT (UK) »
I've deleted the post I had here, as I now see that what I'd posted had already been covered earlier.

No room for repeats.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 08 November 15 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Alan - your reply no 9 above:

Margaret Blunt was Margaret Hall when she married Richard Blunt 1 Apr 1730 at Rogate (from the BTs).  I think she might have been his second wife, but couldn't swear to it.

Other information from Marriage Licence Bonds:

Thomas Blunt was a bondsman for the MLB of Thomas CLement to Martha Blunt, and described as a mealman.

William Blunt who married Ann Horspoole was described as a grocer on the 1758 MLB.

Still trying to sort out the various Williams, Richards and Roberts!

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AlanWatson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 09 November 15 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Re the Austen/White connection.

Pallot's marriage index has 1786 St George Hanover Sq, Rev Edmund White of Newton Valence Co Southampton to Ann Blunt, a minor, with the consent of her father William Blunt.

This William Blunt is the father of the one with the monument in Petersfield Church, described there as of Buriton and in the PR as Gent Hannover Square.

His will proved 5 Dec 1827 has him of Hannover Square to be buried in a vault in Petersfield. It mentions his sister Ann wife of Rev Edmund and their children. Also a sister Betsy Binsted (they married 22 July 1776 Petersfield) a sister in law Elizabeth Langford and nephews Diaper (can't remember where I saw that name before) . Then various bequests to his wife's relatives with his wife Ann née Sainsbury as residuary legatee.

Given that William the banker was also from Buriton (now a separate parish, but then part of Petersfield) it seems likely that this was also him.

I can see various snippets about the Bank including the dissolution of the partnership, but I haven’t found a bankruptcy notice.

Nor can I find most of these people's births, deaths and marriages and I don't know whether they were related to our lot.

Alan