Author Topic: Langley family Cape Town area South Africa  (Read 862 times)

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Langley family Cape Town area South Africa
« on: Thursday 05 November 15 12:37 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for the family tree(s) of any Langleys (Benjamin, Joseph, Samuel and Robert) who arrived in the Cape Town Area - Simon's Town, Wynberg, Papendorp (so not Grahamstown) in the 1810s-1820s and lived there throughout the 19th century.

Of Benjamin Senior I know that he was born and baptised in London, Middlesex (Spitalfields), in 1777, as were his brothers (Stepney). Some went to South Africa (Benjamin, Joseph, Samuel and possibly Robert). Benjamin was married (1812) to Anna Catharina Koster and had at least two sons, named Robert (b after 1812) and Benjamin (b ca 1817), possibly also another one called Joseph and maybe more?

Their trees/records are not online, as far as I have been able to find, possibly because they were of a church denomination that doesn't have online records?

I did find the baptisms of Benjamin Junior's (b 1817) children, Johanna Magdalena Jacoba (1839), Friedrich Carel Benjamin (1841) and Carel Nicolaas (1843), in the Dutch Reformed church.
Robert's (b after 1812) children with Margaretha Henrietta Muller are all on scans in familysearch, they were born between 1836 and 1854.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!
Lexi73

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Re: Langley family Cape Town area South Africa
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 November 15 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Not a lot of records for South Africa are on line as yet.  Family Search I think has the most at the moment.  You can also try our archives at this link :

http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smws/sm300dl

Select RSA option as it will search the database of all the archives, but if you are sure that they were in and around Cape Town then select KAB for the Cape Town archives as this will cover the Cape Province.

You can also try Cyndi's List, there is quite a bit of South African info there

http://www.cyndislist.com/south-africa

Unfortunately our Ancestry24, which was a very good local one, closed and I think Ancestry has the data base now.

Good luck

Good luck
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 November 15 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, 3Sillydogs! I had found some information on the Langleys, also on Naairs and familysearch, but as you say it is sparse. Some of the Ancestry24 information is being put on Ancestry, I believe, but it seems to be a sloooow process.
Someone did manage to find me the death notice of Benjamin Langley (b1777, d1847) and his wife Anna Catharina Coster/Koster (b1773, d1854) but it turns out that the sons mentioned in a book about early Cape Town settlers were at least not hers, perhaps even not his - so these Langleys could be children of his brother(s).
New confusion, so I have now gone back to England (virtually, that is) and try and find out marriages and baptisms of Benjamins and Roberts in the greater London area. Maybe then I can have another go at South Africa.

It's a difficult matter indeed! And I don't even know whether these Langleys are related to the Langley in my tree (mother of my direct ancestor), which is what I am trying to find out...

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 November 15 06:04 GMT (UK) »

Good luck

I have made a note of the names and will see what else I can find out.  If the Langley's you are looking for married in the Dutch Reformed Church you may have better luck.  The Dutch/Afrikaans families kept very good records and many seem to have survived.  I have had better luck with that side of my tree than my "English" side once they came to South Africa.

Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 November 15 08:50 GMT (UK) »
One married the NG church but had children in the Anglican church in what is now a suburb of Cape Town (Simon's Town) another had a few children in the NG church but may have had more in the Lutheran one, which don't have records online and haven't replied to my email so far...