Author Topic: Hodgson Street, Hull  (Read 11843 times)

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Hodgson Street, Hull
« on: Thursday 14 July 05 12:11 BST (UK) »
My ancestors lived in this street in the 1850s and onwards. Could anybody tell me if there is any possibility that the original houses are still standing or if they would have been replaced with something more modern?

Thanks
Nick
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hodgson Street, Hull
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 July 05 13:06 BST (UK) »
I've just found it on the map.  I don't know the area well, but it's an area that's now mostly industrial, so I think it's very unlikely that the houses are still there.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 July 05 20:11 BST (UK) »
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=510358&y=429468&z=1&sv=hodgson+street&st=6&tl=Hodgson+Street,+Hull,+HU8&searchp=newsearch.srf&mapp=newmap.srf

the above is the address for Hodgson Street on www.Streetmap.co.uk  but as Suttontrust says it's mostly light industrial buildings there now, doubtful if any bits of original buildings remain.

Bee
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline North Country Boy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 July 05 16:00 BST (UK) »

I think most of Hodgson Street was demolished in the 1930s as parts of Hull City Councils slum clearance programme. I think the only origianl building is The Ship public house.  A majority of my ancestors lived along Hodgson Street (my great- great-great grandparents ran a drapers shop at number 5) and my great grandfather when he emigrated to Hull from Sweden settled in the street for a while.

Here is a link for the Hull City Council website that has some excellent images of Hodgson Street and the courts that ran off it.

http://prismdata.hullcc.gov.uk/gallery/albums.php

Ian

Researching:<br /><br />Olsen - Sweden/South Wales/Hull<br />Coates - East Yorkshire/Hull<br />Latus - Hull/Kings Lynn/Kent/Hampshire/Middlesborough<br />
Bradley-Nottinghamshire/Oldcoates
Dearing - Hull/East Yorkshire/Halifax<br />Murphy - Dublin/Hull
England - Pontefract
Cave - Pontefeact/Doncaster
Walker - Devon/Hull

Offline Sgt_Tollers

• RootsChat Senior
  • Happy Irene Scarlett 1897 - 1956
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 July 05 22:13 BST (UK) »
That is the coolest photographs site for Hull that I have seen in a long time.

My great great grandparents were living down Hodgson Street when they got married. It's wonderful to see what it looked like all those years ago.

The site was so cool that I looked at the entire 219 pages of images. Four and a half hours well spent in my book! :)

Best wishes,
Sgt Tollers
Tollerfield (All),Moy (Norfolk and Hull), Oxborrow,Ratcliffe,Scarlett,Simpson (Suffolk),Davies,Lewis (Carmarthen),Hennessy (Bermondsey and Ireland), Hand Smyth (London and Ireland),Fenton,Warrener (Yorkshire) :).

Offline dennis dominator

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 July 05 12:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick,

Hodgson Street houses are now long gone i think the street is now cut in two as New Cleveland Street now runs through part of Hodgson street.

It's now mostly oil mills in and around Hodgson street and a bit smelly and grimy large tankers are very often seen pulling out of the street allthough the road is not all that wide they somehow manage to get down it.

The Ship inn maybe the only original as Ian has said earlier which is almost 200 years old.

Regards
Dennis Dominator.
Clark's of hull and Birkenhead and Davies of hull and Northampton

Offline bessingby

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 July 10 18:06 BST (UK) »
 my name is bill symons.i lived down hodgshon st in the 30s ilived down ivy cottages at thebottom was a -play ground in it were swings aroundabout and shamrock we played cricket -football it was aquakers cemertry org  at the top of hoshy there was brockelsby rag shop then thhalfe ship pub app was murdens lemonade makers.-half way downthe street was a chapel then a haulage comp.every monday we use to look out for cattle coming to the butchers  the lads pulled handcarts across the road to stop them running away  our time was spent running errands to try and get apenny for pictures.names iremember'darcy morton keogh warhurst mc-watt
 moody,carvers fishshop

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 July 10 19:21 BST (UK) »
Bill

Bob Carver was the son of gg grandad's brother, so I have distant links to Fish n Chips. My grandad and 2 brothers worked at John A Scotts - what happened to that place? Was it nationalised with the rest of the docks?

Nick
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline bessingby

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 July 10 16:08 BST (UK) »
HI.nick.the  BOB CARVER. fish/chip  merchant has a shop and cafe in HULL market the famaly have been there as long as i can remember the father BOB died a few years ago his son runs the place now