Author Topic: Hodgson Street, Hull  (Read 11851 times)

Offline grahamr4

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hodgson Street, Hull
« Reply #18 on: Monday 22 February 16 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shakey,

I  remember Dick Huby,s, it was at the other corner of the row of houses the fish shop was on.

I seem to remember a body being found hanging by a demolition worker in one of those houses you mention.

I also remember watching Sam (was it Mr Smith) building a bike wheel through a tiny square window into his shop.

The passageway into Egton street is still there. but you cant get to it from Hodgy side.

Were you down there in the 50s and did you get moved in the slum clearances? to Ings Estae perhaps?

Graham (Whacker) Robinson

Offline shakyzen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Graham.I was born in 1946 down Spyvee .st. My father worked at Reckitt's an we moved into 1 of their House's in the early 50s . Down st mark st just over the bridge.could see big playgee from our back way.The body in that house  I remember well it was behind the door. Stopping us lot getting into the upper floors thank God.I learnt to climb at a early age with all the bombed buildings around.My school mate must have lived across the road from you.Rob Duffield. Happy days

shaky

Offline Melanie (Hubbard)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 08 April 18 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hi all- a little new to this but have my Uncle Peter (Hubbard) over from Australia.  Lived at 3 Ivy Cottages. With Rose (My Grandma) Rosemary (My Mum) Peter Paul and Geoffrey. This site is amazing. Uncle Peter reading the story of the hanging body & amazed because he only told us yesterday- he believes him to sadly be a school friend. Other stories include Mr Mac who he used to  fish for eels for off the mud banks of Drypool Bridge. He said Mr Mac used to wrap the eel skins around his wrists. Please get in touch if you remember any of my family 😊

Offline shakyzen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 08 April 18 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hi . Does your uncle remember Greenwood's who lived down Hodgy. They had a bloody Monkey
that was all'way doing a escape tricks..

Shaky

Offline Melanie (Hubbard)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 08 April 18 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hiya Shaky
Yes he does- if it's the same family he said there was two brothers? Thinks it was above an archway where they lived? No memories of the monkey though......
We were only there yesterday- previous to that my family lived 84 Witham. Both he and my mum went to Williamson st primary school & he attended east hull cadets 152. He left England to join the RAF in Australia when he was 19. Any advice on best place to look for pics would be ace. Just stumbled upon this site & he's in heaven. They all lived there until the estates were built. Is Shaky short for anything if you dont mind me asking? Ps also remember the Martin's? Hope this gets to you- still navigating me sen through the site
Your speedy reply was very much appreciated
Thanks
Mel 😊