Author Topic: Rootsireland change of search function  (Read 1584 times)

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rootsireland change of search function
« on: Thursday 05 November 15 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Does anybody know how to do a wildcard search on rootsireland I cannot find any helpful directions.
thanks
Annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rootsireland change of search function
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 November 15 01:18 GMT (UK) »
I'm probably not the best person to try to answer this as I gave up on that site but I'll have a go.

Googling 'using wild cards on RootsIreland ' brings up some good looking results but when you click on the link it just takes you to the new look site search page.

There is a thread on boards.ie complaining about the loss of wild cards and other stuff, when the site changed to subscription.

I don't know if it still works but you used to be able to find all the children born to a couple by putting 0 in the First Name box than filling in the other details.

One of those google results, the little I could see of it seemed to say the site has a auto wild cards search but it may not still function.

Not much use to you, hopefully someone has figured it out and will post.
If not you could try emailing them.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 November 15 13:56 GMT (UK) »
On surname, no, I'm not aware of any, the only assistance seems to be some sort of association of surname variants in the background.  If anyone knows to the contrary, please tell!  :)

On forename, it seems to operate on "begins with". So for example, when searching for someone called "Henry" or "Margaret", I would tend to search for "Hen" or "Marg", that way you don't miss out possible spelling variant hits like "Henery" or "Margret", if you get my drift. You can even just provide one (starting) forename letter.

BTW, RootsIreland has refreshed its whole "look" in the last few days, I shall leave it to others to decide if it's an improvement.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 November 15 01:01 GMT (UK) »
Claire Santry has some positive things to say about the change.
http://www.irishgenealogynews.com/2015/11/rootsireland-marries-its-transcriptions.html

But still a work in progress.

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 November 15 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sinann

Thanks for posting this link - very useful. I had not realised rootsireland had linked up with the NLI image pages.

CD

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 November 15 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Just so people know

The function of linking their records to the NLI site has a major flaw or two.

All it does is bring you to the start part of the church not to the actual page that the entry is on.

Given how hard some parishes are to navigate this 'link' doesn't help.

Also a lot of entries on rootsireland show under a particular church ie Rathfarnham is a good example BUT the event may have happened in another church linked to this parish ie Crumlin.

So, this new 'link' rootsireland are doing will bring you to the Rathfarnham parish BUT your record won't actually be there.

Hope that makes sense.

Tara

Offline Oliverd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 14:05 GMT (UK) »
One of the things I have done is to snip a copy of the records and post it within the details of whomever I am researching. At least then it shows to whomever looks that a physical record existed.

I link to the NLI register as well but my view is links will change over time but if have a copy included it won't.