Author Topic: Upper Badrain, Culbokie, Ross-shire  (Read 3149 times)

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Upper Badrain, Culbokie, Ross-shire
« on: Thursday 05 November 15 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Just starting a new line of research into the farm at Upper Badrain near Culbokie in Easter Ross. I believe the farm may have been built/occupied by a Finlay MacLean around mid 1800s.

Anybody got any info or sources?

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Upper Badrain, Culbokie, Ross-shire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 November 15 01:29 GMT (UK) »
In my 1770 Directory of Land Ownership, Sir Roderick Mackenzie owns the land (and many others in the county).  And 100 years later in 1872-73 MacKenzie's still owned it.

Scotland's People have the 1865 valuations which show it as part of the McKenzie Estate under Baldrain.  Hugh is shown as a tenant.  For 2 credits you can see the details.

NAS http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/welcome.aspx click "Search" enter Badrain and hit enter.

Do the same with Upper Badrain

Do you have the 1841/51/61 Census for Finlay?

Don 
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 November 15 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Don, that's some useful points. I tried to get the census information about Finlay but couldn't see that on Scotlandspeople. Do you have links?

I was considering heading down to the Highland Archives today to see what they can come up with.

Richard

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 November 15 10:40 GMT (UK) »
If Finlay was there in 1851/61 he would be on the Census.  Suggest you also look for Hugh but keep in mind there will be at least one/two families there it was and is a large farm by the looks of it.  The other option is see what is in the Clearances for this area. perhaps there might be some bits that will help.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline ian beaton jack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 19:50 GMT (UK) »
my g.parents crofted there until around 1897 when my g.father Alexander Jack died,before that they were at Auchterflow. my father, Angus Beaton Jack was born there in 1887,the youngest of 11 children,  the family moved to the maternal g.parents croft in Easter Taewig.
Are you the owner of Upper Badrain now ?? will be very interested to hear from you.
Ian

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 20:42 GMT (UK) »
How interesting. I'm not the owner but my son is. He has obtained a great deal of information from the land registers through a solicitor friend but I'm sure he would be interested in the personal dimension

Offline ian beaton jack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 March 16 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi i hesitate to call you Dogsbody but lacking anything else it will have to do lol. been speaking to my second cousin and she says she met the owners of Badrain in 2011(your son?) ladies name was Sandra..
The last people living in the old house were the Valentines.(Lizzie) but they found it too Damp and built a wooden structure down hill a bit.i have visited it once but it was just a pile of stones but i haven't really researched the croft at all. i will be very interested in any of the history of the old place. the family are all gone now 5 of them went to Canada, 2 girls 3 men. my father and and one brother came back a couple of times once to fight in WW1. and the second time for my father when he and my mother went out in 1926 where my elder brother was born in Medicine Hat. one sister married a swiss person and moved to Berne i think
how they all fitted into the old house i don't know
get back to me soon
Ian beaton Jack

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 March 16 22:01 GMT (UK) »
The "nom de plume" causes a few folks a wry smile. When I was struggling to think of a suitable username the the thought crossed my mind that I could be just any dogsbody, hence the name.
Given name is actually Richard if you would prefer that.
It wouldn't have been my son in 2011 and I can't think of who the previous owners were. I'll let him see what you have had to say and get back to you.

Offline ian beaton jack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 March 16 23:18 GMT (UK) »
thanks Richard, look forward to hearing from you
Ian