Author Topic: Belshaw  (Read 4592 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Belshaw
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 29 November 15 09:01 GMT (UK) »
I couldn't agree more with the previous post. We all own a tremendous debt to those people (and many others) who not only compile such research but also make it freely available to anyone who can make use of it.

Ok,I'll look on Groni. according to my records Jane's parents both died in 1868,so they were both alive when she married. Re Derek Beatie ,I was told that he just copies records from other sites,ie Ros Davis,he doesn't even live in Ireland.
 I was told that it's cheaper to get certificates from Roscommon,how do I do that?
   Thanks for your help
The best way to now get Northern Ireland certificates is GRONI. You just need to purchase a few credits and can then view the actual record online immediately.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 29 November 15 18:32 GMT (UK) »
 My apologies to anyone I've offended,I should not have criticized anyone,I'm very sorry.

Offline Prvanov

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 17 March 17 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
I am looking for any information on a Richard Belshaw born ~1770 Shan(k)hill, near Lurgan. This information came from his army discharge records in 1809. Its also stated he was a weaver. On discharge he moved to London, England, married and had a family, from whom I am descended. Thereafter his surname has been spelt Bellshaw. It is our understanding that his forbearers were French Huguenot refugees. 
I would appreciate any help please.
Kind regards
Jocelyn

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 17 March 17 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Lurgan is County Armagh. If you click on the 'report to moderator' button, you can ask for your post to be moved to that board. Certainly, the surname was in the area in the early 1800s, and possibly earlier, for example see:

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GScid=2342206&GRid=133040917&

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .