Author Topic: Fife families  (Read 4617 times)

Offline LordVader

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fife families
« on: Friday 06 November 15 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am looking for some help to locate hard evidence for the following couples that lived in Fife linking them beyond the 1800's census'. I have documented connections all the way from New Zealand back to Scotland and although there is a lot of chatter online about going further back, there lacks documented evidence to support this.

The couples are:
- James Fairfull & Janet Auchterlonie
- David Rollo & Margaret Brown
- James Rolland & Margaret Cunnin or Cunningham

Also keen to connect with anybody related to these ancestors.

Regards

Jared

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Fife families
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 November 15 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi annakin :D

What do you have ie years of marriages etc so we don't all trip over each other :)
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 November 15 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this is what you are after but I have a marriage of a Janet Auchterlonie to a WALTER Rollo in Leuchars Fife 27.10.1775

Added: I have just found a marriage between James Fairful (one L) and a Janet Lonie ( no Auchter) in Carnbee 1813

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Scott, Cronin

Offline LordVader

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 November 15 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Thanks for the interest (you nailed it with the marriage):
- James Rolland b. 1756-1761 d. Bef. 1851 and Margaret Cunnin or Cunningham, no marriage yet found.
-James Fairfull b. Abt 1789 d. 1848 married 13 Aug 1813 to Janet Auchterlonie b. Abt 1791 d. 1845.
- David Rollo b. Abt 1800 d. Abt 1840 married Margaret Brown unknown dates, no marriage yet found.

The James Rolland and Margaret Cunnin or Cunningham line I am well and truely stuck to pinpoint births and parents. The other lines according to other family researchers can be extended further, but I cannot find the evidence that links correct births to marriages and families.

My great-grandfather Andrew Rolland Jr. is from this family.
His Rolland line is:
1. James Rolland & Margaret Cunnin,
2. William Rolland & Margaret Bathgate
3. John Rolland & Elizabeth Hurst
4. Andrew Rolland Sr. And Christina Fairfull
5. Andrew Rolland Jr.

Andrew Jr's mother Christina is daughter of Robert Fairfull and Allison Rollo. Robert Fairfull is son of James Fairfull and Janet Auchterlonie. Allison Rollo is daughter of David Rollo and Margaret Brown.

Thank you for your help.

Regards

Jared

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 November 15 06:46 GMT (UK) »
FreeReg has a marriage Margaret Brown to David Rollo Wemyss Parish Church 3.1.1825

Groom is a shoemaker , both live in West Wemyss :)

This accords with the 1841 census of ''widow'' Rollo living in Basin Row Wemyss with a lot of children including an Alison born 1827 which gives her an age of 19 at her 1846 marriage to Robert Faithfull

The only concern is that a David Rollo b 1822 is also living there - but no relationship given it could be a nephew etc

Added: Found David b 27.1.1822 bap 2.10.1822 under Rollie and he was listed in FreeReg as ''natural son'' of David Rollie - occ:shoemaker and Margaret Brown

Added(2) : Further listings in FreeReg also show the children of David and Margaret to be listed as Rollie ie Alison Rollie 1.4.1827 , William and George etc

Scott, Cronin

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 November 15 07:51 GMT (UK) »
David Rollo bap 12.1.1800 Wemyss to William Rollo and Allen Wemyss ???

Scott, Cronin

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 December 15 08:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the interest (you nailed it with the marriage): ...
James Fairfull b. Abt 1789 d. 1848 married 13 Aug 1813 to Janet Auchterlonie b. Abt 1791 d. 1845.

Hi  :)

There's a minor error in this post inasmuch as the marriage date is incorrect.  I have a copy of the 1813 OPR of Marriages in the Parish of Largo, Fife, which reads:
"July 31st 1813. Here contracted James Fairfull in this parish and Janet Lonie in the parish of Carnbee who after proclamation without objection were married the 14 Augt."

James was born in Carnbee Parish abt 1788 and died in Wemyss Parish on 27 Mar 1848.  Janet was born 6 Feb 1785 in Ceres Parish and died 18 Dec 1845 in Wemyss Parish - all parishes in Fife. They had eleven children.

I've found several instances where "Auchterlonie" was shortened to "Lonie"

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GUT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 January 17 03:29 GMT (UK) »
I too am descended from James and Janet, via another Christina, who married James Rennex.
Gorton
Payne
Cornwallis
Duncombe
Rennex
Praeger

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 January 17 03:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gut,

What is your source please?

I would imagine the surname to be something more like Rennie rather than Rennex?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"