Author Topic: 1861 census lookup Whitchurch Now resolved thanks  (Read 2340 times)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 census lookup please Whitchurch
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 November 15 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Do you not look at the original image to assess whether the transcription is accurate?
In this particular case it wouldn't have been possible because the FindMyPast database is based on their transcribed records (which are incorrectly transcribed,) not the original image ...which is why is why it was  not possible to find any reference to the family on FindMyPast.

I think Pauline meant after you had found the Whihhade family - to check what the image actually said! Always best to work from the image not the transcription.
What you did, usig Christian names only to hunt for them, is one useful tip BUt then when you find something possible, as you did, then look at the image.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline earley-bird

• RootsChat Senior
  • I am ready for something...but I don't know what!
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 census lookup please Whitchurch
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 November 15 14:58 GMT (UK) »
thank you for explaining Liz .

I think had there not been pretty conclusive detail in the transcription I would have checked the image but the birth dates and birth places and occupations and census area all matched so I was almost certain it was the same family especially given the ridiculous name which couldn't be found anywhere else in any record source.

I am running perilously close to the end of my subscription with FindMyPast and I cannot afford another until sometime next year so I am using every lookup very sparingly at the moment .I have over 15x other images I'd like to check but simply cannot afford it at the moment.

i hope this explains why I did not also check the image in this instance.
Did you look at my Whitchurch record ?  there is a lot of lookups in that lot  ::)
Whitchurch, Westminster / Buckinghamshire
Cooper,     Westminster
Pollard     Surrey
Earley,  Holborn London
Bruce,  London
Kangeisser  London
Lawlor, Widnes Lancashire
Hagan   Widnes Lancashire

All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only, I support copyright, a Wife, 2x children  a dobie, 2 x cats, a Tawny owl. and several mice if the drop

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 census lookup Whitchurch Now resolved thanks
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Wasn't sure how old this post might be but I also descend from this family via Henry's daughter Mary Ann who marries Edward Fry, I've also contributed DNA via ancestry and have had a match to a descendant of Louisa Sarah her sister. 

So would be interested in hearing from you.

Blessings
Deb