Author Topic: British Fleet (Warships and Transports) 1840-1842 to China.  (Read 416 times)

Offline jcmac

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
British Fleet (Warships and Transports) 1840-1842 to China.
« on: Friday 06 November 15 16:38 GMT (UK) »
I have resumed interest in this subject and a note I have - but not its source !!!! - as follows:-

"In June 1840 the British Fleet of 16 Warships and 27 Transports carrying 4000 men arrived in the Pearl River Delta near Humen.
Over the next two years the British Navy travelled up the coast towards Shanghai. Chinese troops, many of whom were addicted to opium, were overwhelmed at every stage.
The Chinese Empire was shattered. In August 1842 aboard HMS Cornwallis, near the town of Nanking, the Chinese signed what became known as the "unequal treaty". "

My interest is in the Transport ships and the merchant seamen who crewed them.
Does anyone have an idea as to how I might establish the names of the 27 Transport ships ?
jcmac. 

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: British Fleet (Warships and Transports) 1840-1842 to China.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 November 15 16:49 GMT (UK) »
I think your quote is from "Navies of Europe" by Lawrence Sondhaus (Pearson Education Ltd 2002 and Routledge 2014)

If you g00gle " pearl river" AND 1840 AND transports    you should find a link to a g00gle book which allows you to preview some pages.

Hope this helps
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jcmac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 November 15 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Philip,
Many thanks for your response - I will refer to your suggestion asap.
Whilst working through the numerous search results I have come across "1st China War - FibiWiki" which names several Naval and HEIC ships and has a long list of references.
jcmac.

Offline jcmac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 November 15 22:49 GMT (UK) »
A quick scan of "Narrative of the voyages and services of The Nemesis from 1840 to 1843 ..." published 1844 has reference to the RN and HEIC ships at Vol.1 Ch.X11 p.221 -
16 RN ships, 1 troopship (Rattlesnake) and 4 HEIC steamers (Queen, Madagascar, Atalanta and Enterprise).
Later entries show Jupiter (troopship), Hebe and Louisa (tenders), Sophia, Minerva, Thetis, Eagle, Prestonjee Bomanjee and Marion (transports). Also Aurora and Calliope.
Vol.2 Houghly(steamer).
I think all but Houghly may have been part of the original fleet.
Still a lot of references to look through.
jcmac.