Author Topic: Looking for descendants of Melville Luff and also Reginald Lawson - Wellington  (Read 3498 times)

Offline GeorgiyH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Hello, my first cousin once removed recently sent up a phtoo album belonging to my great-grandmother to scan. In it were a number of photos from a trip to Wellington around 1940/41 at which she attended a wedding of the brother of her then son-in-law Victor Lawson. The bridegroom was Reginald Lawson, wife Wallis Jean (surname unknown to me.) There were also a number of photos of the Luff family of Owen Street whom I presume to be friends of the Lawsons, including several of a young man of the family Melville 'Mel' Luff. As there are a number of interesting photos of both the Lawosn and Luff family, I am wondering if anyone here is descended from or knows of these families as it would be nice to get copies to them.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for descendants of Melville Luff and also Reginald Lawson - Wellington
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 November 15 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi GeorgiyH

Re: LUFF family (Owen Street, Wellington).
I can't see anyone actively researching Melville LUFF, although there is a "tree" at ancestry which names his parents, but gives little additional information (e.g. no spouse named).

I believe he was the only child of George LUFF (bc 1897, Islington, London) and Leonora Vera WOOD (m. 1922 - NZ).
[If you search PapersPast using his parent's names, you'll find details relating to young Melville being taken off to Australia by his mother. The newspaper articles refer to the child as "Mickie" - perhaps to protect his real identity.]

Melville George LUFF (b. NZ circa 1925) appears on the Island Bay, Wellington, Supplementary Roll of 1946, occupation, welder, residing at 126 Owen Street.   His father George LUFF, cashier, is on the main roll, at same address (and also his grandmother, Elizabeth LUFF).

It appears that Melville George LUFF married ... and possibly had two children ?
The Wellington City Council Cemeteries database has a listing for his death in July 2001 - along with a photo of his headstone at the Makara Cemetery.     The name of the Funeral Director is also given on this record.
It's possible that by contacting the Funeral Director, you can obtain further information on next-of-kin.   [Or Karori Cemetery office may be able to assist ? ]

Link to Wellington Cemeteries (Karori / Makara) >
http://wellington.govt.nz/services/community-and-culture/cemeteries/cemeteries-search

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for descendants of Melville Luff and also Reginald Lawson - Wellington
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 November 15 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Further info for  LUFF family (of Wellington) :

Don't know if you have access to the "trees" on the ancestry.com website ?

There are a number of them which give information for the LUFF family - Alfred LUFF and wife Elizabeth Susan Caroline (nee BALDWIN).
The couple came to New Zealand (from London) in September 1913 - per ship "Ionic" with five of their six children - Elizabeth / Louisa (- both died before 1920), Rose / George (father of Melville) and William Edward.   Another son, Alfred Henry arrived independently.
For the most part the family lived in the Newtown area of Wellington - lastly at 126 Owen Street.

One thing I did notice on some of the trees I viewed, was that George LUFF (Melville's father), had been entered as having married in 1927 to a "Nellie Ethel RUSSELL":   
That information is incorrect.   [The husband of Nellie was a George Isaac LUFF  bc 1878 - d. 1941.  Perhaps the two Georges were confused because they lived in the same neighbourhood ? ]   George LUFF (father of Melville), died in 1947.  He is buried at Karori cemetery with his parents, Alfred and Elizabeth.

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 November 15 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Reginald Norman LAWSON was the bridegroom in question (bride's maiden surname, MALCOLM.)  ;)

Offline GeorgiyH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 November 15 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Lu for finding that - very much appreciated!

Online minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 November 15 03:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi GeorgiyH,

If you wish, I can have a look for the newspaper death notice in respect of Melville LUFF for you.......

Minniehaha.

HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Online minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 November 15 03:16 GMT (UK) »
Here are the details from Wellington City Council.......

Last name   LAWSON
First name   NORMAN REGINALD
Age   79 Years
Deceased date   19/03/1994
Service provided   Cremation
Cremation date   23/03/1994
Cemetery   Crematorium
Record number   64056

I can do a newspaper death notice look up for him too, if helpful?

Minniehaha.

Offline GeorgiyH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 November 15 03:26 GMT (UK) »
Yes please Minnie, if you could, that would be most helpful!

Online minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 November 15 03:37 GMT (UK) »
Will do.  :)

Minniehaha.