Author Topic: Possible Marriage  (Read 874 times)

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Possible Marriage
« on: Saturday 07 November 15 10:40 GMT (UK) »
I have been looking, so far unsuccessfully, for a marriage for Richard Peters (b. 1596 St Enoder: d. 1656 St Enoder).
He is the son of Nicholas Peeter (spelling on his will 1626 St Enoder).
I have come across a possible 1626 Richard Peeter to a Jane Francis in St Minver - not too far away.
There are no other Francis marriages up to the mid 1600s in St Minver, burials ditto and the only Francis birth is for a Richard, son of John, in 1602 with the note that he is a Welshman.  Francis is obviously not a local parish name in the 16th and first half of the 17thC.
There are a couple of burials for Jane Peters in St Enoder, 1644 and 1656, which would fit but there is also a Jane Peters burial in St Minver, a widow, in 1658.
There are a few Peters baptisms, marriages and burials in St Minver for the period but no Richards apart from the above marriage to Jane Francis.
Richard Peters' 1656 will details bequests to his children and sons in law but no mention of a wife so he is likely to have survived her which would discount the St Minver burial but could fit with either of the Jane Peters' burials mentioned above.

What do you think?  Is it too big a leap to assume that this is the marriage for which I have been looking?

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 November 15 12:59 GMT (UK) »
I note you have a will for Richard - does it name his children as there are 2 on the Cornwall OPC site as been born in St Enoder 1627 and 1637 Margret and Grace with mother Jane

Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 November 15 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Good thinking, and there I was congratulating myself on covering all the bases!  Children mentioned in the will are Katherine, Grace, Margarett and Francis.

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 November 15 00:49 GMT (UK) »
St Enoder Baptisms 1626 to 1640 have the following baptisms:
20th July 1627 Margret Peters daughter of Richard and Jane
21st July 1629 Francis ------son of Richard (note: entry difficult to read). Possible son in the will?
30th July 1633 Jane Peters daughter of Richard
15th May 1636 Grace Peters daughter of Richard and Jane
No Katherine but there are a number of almost blank lines noted as "entry difficult to read".

There are no baptisms to this couple or to Richard alone after 1636.
The Jane Peters dying on 27th April 1656 is listed as the daughter of Richard but it is odd that she isn't in the will as he died on 15th March 1656, unless there is a typo somewhere.

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 November 15 01:20 GMT (UK) »
As you have pointed out the marriage in St Minver is the stumbling block. If it was in St Enoder it would be 99% guaranteed.

St Minver is 20 miles away and I wondered if Jane was a minor without consent or something similar?

Aah found her. I think.

Cornwall OPC has a Jane France b 1598 to a Nicholas . I would be happy to link that to Jane Francis and Nicholas Francis who has 4 other children in St Enoder from that time on :)

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Scott, Cronin

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 November 15 01:21 GMT (UK) »
Double post at high volume point

:)

Scott, Cronin

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 November 15 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for finding that.  So there are Francis families in St Enoder at the time and, as you say, far more likely than someone born 20 miles away although there is the solitary entry of the St Minver Welshman having a son in the right time frame.  We have a Richard Peeter marrying a Jane Francis in St Minver in 1626 and my Richard Peters married to a Jane something living and having in children in St Enoder from 1627 onwards.  If the St Minver Richard and Jane are my Richard and the St Enoder Jane you found, they would be 30 and 28.

My problem is that I can't see why she would go to St Minver to marry Richard, assuming he was working there at the time, rather than him return to St Enoder for the marriage where both the families are - unless one of the families were dead set against the marriage.  If she was the daughter of the Welshman she could have been born in Wales before he came to Cornwall so no record here.  The family might well not have approved of that match.  But we don't know for sure that my Richard's Jane is Jane Francis.  Aaaarrgh!