Author Topic: Thomas Wilton  (Read 1382 times)

Online judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Wilton
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 November 15 05:18 GMT (UK) »
I think Trish is correct and that there will be little to find out about Thomas before he left England. 

There are a number of baptisms of babies of the same name but this seems to be the one you have identified as 'your' Thomas'.  (Just wondering how his birthplace was found as his wife and her family appear to originate around Keynsham some 30 miles from Mere.)

Thomas WILTON
Baptised 03 Sep 1815 at Mere, Wiltshire, England
Father's Name   Daniel Wilton
Mother's Name   Ann

He is shown in 1841 to be with wife Mary (nee CHARD) and their son James (1) to be an agricultural labourer.  His abode seems to be Chewton Keynsham and his father- and mother-in-law Robert and Ann CHARD are the next entries living at New Barn (?), Keynsham, where they still are in 1851. Another CHARD family is listed on the same page.

As the men in the family all seem to agricultural labourers they would probably be working for someone else.  (Thomas gives his occupation as agricultural labourer on the 1844 shipping record also)
The only person with the occupation of 'farmer' (as opposed to 'labourer' ) on the same page is a Jonas EDGELL, and his wife Martha who also list 2 servants so I think it's a reasonable assumption that Jonas EDGELL may be the farm owner. This Jonas is listed in 1851 as having 224 acres and employing 6 labourers.

Unless Thomas did something newsworthy I doubt there will be much in the way of info about him in England, which is why I would speculate that he did well in Australia so that he could buy land there.

I see quite a lot of possible information re his parents etc and am happy to post if you don't have it.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chezza60

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Wilton
« Reply #10 on: Friday 13 November 15 06:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judith,

Thank you so much, I thought he may have made his money in OZ.
Most of the Wilton's I have found came from Mere Wiltshire, It would be lovely to have any info on the Wilton in Mere Wiltshire. I have gone back to John Wilton married Hannah Dowden dates of BDM and Children would be great. thank you.

Chezza