Author Topic: William Brittain, Governor of the Abbey (Paisley) Poor House and Lunatic Asylum  (Read 5091 times)

Offline Brittain

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi

I'm searching for further information on William Brittain who I believe to be my 3rd great grandfather. He was Governor of the Abbey (Paisley) Poor House and Lunatic Asylum between c 1852 and 1863. I have contacted the archivist of the Poor House records who had no information and suggested I get in touch with the Paisley Heritage Centre. They too told me they and no information on staff oft He institution. I am currently at a loss ask to where to look now for more information.  Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Brittain, Governor of the Abbey (Paisley) Poor House and Lunatic Asylum
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 November 15 12:33 GMT (UK) »
What sort of information are you looking for I assume you have him in the 1861 census at Paisley Poorhouse ( Governor and Chelsea pensioner ) age 53 estimated birth year 1808 Anderston Lanarkshire with his wife Margaret Gibson

Looks like a second marriage for William Brittain 28/11/1850 West or Old Parish Greenock Renfrewshire his father William spouse Margaret Gibson ..
A tree has a death for him 29/8/1866 in Glasgow I would suggest you get a copy of his death certificate to get more information on parent's names and other information you can get this at www.scotlandspeople.gov
I notice a marriage for his son William Brittain to a Jane Martin 8/4/1855 St Mary Magdeline Woolwich he names his father as William Brittain Master of Paisley Union
Rosie

Should have added welcome to rootschat  :)

Offline Brittain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William Brittain, Governor of the Abbey (Paisley) Poor House and Lunatic Asylum
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 November 15 13:14 GMT (UK) »
HI Rosie and than you very much for the welcome and the information.  I have found all the information you gave including his death record. On that death record the informant is his son John Arthur Copeland Brittain. But this son is of neither of the two wives I am aware of -  Margaret Gibsin and Agnes Aitchison but rather a Janet Smith according to his own marriage certificate. Additionally I was hoping to find out when and how William became Governor of the Abey Poor House. 

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 November 15 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I could not help you more I notice this John Arthur Copeland Brittain was born Montreal Canada 1843 you will most probably know
Rosie

Offline Brittain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 November 15 16:59 GMT (UK) »
I really appreciate your responses Rosie, thank you very much  :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 November 15 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brittain

What did you say was the source for John Arthur Copeland Brittain's mother? He married in Everton England in 1877? Only father showing on that entry, William Brittain, Gentleman - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NFF8-71R

Ahh...just noticed, John Arthur showed as a widower then. Did he marry before in Scotland (to state his mother's name)?

Monica  :)

Added: First marriage here? https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTTC-KXW
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 November 15 21:32 GMT (UK) »
You have seen this post, for additional background - http://royalpioneercorps.yuku.com/topic/1620/Information-on-my-Grandfather#.VkEQWL9rWYs - reply #3

Monica

Offline Brittain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 November 15 21:48 GMT (UK) »
HI Monica

Thanks very much for your two posts - you are exactly right, his first marriage was in Scotland. I did see the other message and asked a similar question there but the thread seems to be quite old so I came across this site via Google and decided to ask here. Actually I was surprised and disappointed to learn the archives of the Poor House in Paisley don't have any information on staff members.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 November 15 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Scottish records are amazing (me, biased  ::)) but not everything is where we hope  :-\

Need to take this back to basics for you. I don't like over posting without responses (feels lonely) so glad that you are there...

On a standard search for someone like William you would look for:

BMDs for the family
Census info - can see 1861 (1851?)
Wills and entries - none show that I can see here www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

With Rosie's mention of him being a Chelsea Pensioner, wondered about these military records here at TNA http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C8786160

Son (guess he showed as son he reported father William's death in 1866?) John Arthur Copeland Brittain. In the right place etc. when reporting father's death. Where was he in 1851 and 1861? Master mariner when he married second time around - doesn't help having a mariner often when looking for census entries...

Curious that he remarried in the Chester area in 1877. There is a birth in 1819, or thereabouts, which is covered by a private tree on a/try for a John Arthur Copeland Brittain - http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/pt/RequestTreeAccess.aspx?tid=75791324&pid=38324893859. Such a specific set of names, wondered whether there was a connection back to William Brittain, but can't tell...

Newspapers and any possible mentions there might also help.

Monica  :)

Added: Other source would be the Post Office Directories or business directories, www.nls.uk/family-history/directories/post-office/index.cfm?place=Renfrewshire