Author Topic: William Brittain, Governor of the Abbey (Paisley) Poor House and Lunatic Asylum  (Read 5112 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: William Brittain, Governor of the Abbey (Paisley) Poor House and Lunatic Asylum
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 November 15 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Newspapers can add more too...

Greenock Advertiser, 1 Sept 1866, have mention of William Brittain's death. Can't see much more detail though there, other than age at death and occupation.

Maybe mentions elsewhere with more info

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Brittain

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Brittain, Governor of the Abbey (Paisley) Poor House and Lunatic Asylum
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 November 15 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Wow Monica that's some really great advice packed in to your message, thank you very much - a lot to ponder.

As for his son, I have not been able to find any record of John A C's death anywhere. I am not sure what the protocol is for recording deaths overseas but it is possible he emigrated or that his death is somewhere registered simply as John (there are a good number of those) in England which would make it difficult to find. There is certainly a link to Cheshire though I can't quite put my finger on exactly what it is yet but it is something I intend following up on.

You have been a great help, thanks so much for taking the time to help  :) :)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi with the information Monica has provided first for the William Brittain soldier in the 71st Foot soldiers says he was born Barony Lancashire enlisted age 17years gives his occupation as a weaver

John Arthur Copland Brittain appears on quite a few of the UK Masters and Mates Certificates 1863--1870 address always given as Glasgow
The last record I find is John A C Brittain born about 1843 age 35 Vessel Name Annie Burrill Voyage date 7/1/1879 Arrival Port Antwerp Belguim date joined present ship 3/9/1878 discharge date 7/1/1879 ..
1871 census John Arthur Copeland Brittain Civil Parish Vessels registration district Greenock Old Renfrewshire
1871 census for his wife
Catherine Brittain age 30 b Glasgow address 3,Whitehall Street Barony (Mariner wife)
John Brittain son age 2 birth for John Arthur Copeland Brittain 29/11/1868 Anderston Glasgow father John Arthur Copeland Brittain mother Catherine McKellar
I would say this is a possibility
1881 census  John Brittain  with his Uncle Robert Brittain age 42 b Canada ( sail maker )address52,Dunbarton Road Barony Glasgow
1901 census he is still with his uncle Robert Brittain age 62 ( sail maker )
John Brittain age 32 occupation sail maker
There is also another son born to this couple William Brittain b 31/10/1871 Anderston
Maybe be better investing in some credits for SP and get a copy of the marriage for John A C Brittain to Catherine McKellar   to see what parents are listed
Rosie

Offline jonn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 16:07 GMT (UK) »

Hello All,

Looks like this is John Brittain. in 1881.

Western Infirmary,

John Brittain, Patient, Seaman, M. age 38 years, M. born Canada.

His wife Catherine McKellar, Brittain, died 1875. aged 32 years, Anderson, Glasgow.

Their son William Brittain, died aged 2 years, 1874. Anderson, Glasgow.

This also looks like his second wife Margaret.

1881. census. address, 1 Hopeful Place, Barony, Lanark.

Margaret Brittain, Head, Woolen Weaver, M. aged 35 years, F. born Glasgow, Lanark.
Nathienal Brittain, Son, M. age 4 years, born Glasgow, Lanark.

Margaret's, age is correct going by the English, marriage, the son name Nathienal, that was the first name of Margaret Wilson's, father.

Regards,
Jonn.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jonn just came back on to post these details  ;D
Found this baptism for a Robert Findlay Brittain 1838 Montreal Quebec ( Presbyterian )
Mentions a father William Brittain in the 71st regiment very hard to make out the rest but mother was not present
Rosie

Offline jonn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 20:54 GMT (UK) »

Here is one to throw into the mix.

William Briton, married Janet Smith. 27/August/1827. Glasgow.

Regards,
Jonn.

Offline Brittain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 00:41 GMT (UK) »
Rosie and John, THANK YOU.!!!!

What great stuff, just perfect - I cannot believe you found all that in such a short space of time but really I can't thank you all enough not just for the records but for taking the time to find them for me. All your contributions have helped me advance enormously - or will have by the time I have followed everything up.  New information, new leads and good advice. I really couldn't ask for more

All the best to you all

Offline Dulux

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 20:58 GMT (UK) »
You have seen this post, for additional background - http://royalpioneercorps.yuku.com/topic/1620/Information-on-my-Grandfather#.VkEQWL9rWYs - reply #3

Monica

I am responsible for that original posting. For your information I believe William brittain married again in Greenock and he was listed as a police sergeant  and later became the governor of the Milford Workhouse in Ireland. This info is in the Abbey poor house board minutes where they discuss his appointment and how they are awaiting him coming from his post at Milford to take up the post at the abbey poor house. There descriptions of his work at Abbey poor house in the board minutes etc. There is a wee insight into his personality in these. Also the John A C Brittain had two admissions into the western infirmary and there are written records of the discussion between him and the physician treating him. If memory serves me right this admission is after he had served his hard labour sentence in Gibraltar for the manslaughter of the ships cook. It would appear that the sentence was reduced or pardoned etc. The ship he was arrested from was the David Sinclair (Schooner; First ship of Denholm shipping). I have more but would need to try and get the stuff out. William is my Grandfather x 4. Hope this helps

Offline sandra in oz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 17 December 17 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Please contact me regarding the above who is my ancestor, I have his death and marriage certificates, 3 marriages in total.   I have all the proof required to show that his son , and his sons descendents come down to me

Cheers Sandra in Oz