Author Topic: Emigration from Lisnadill parish  (Read 5311 times)

Offline Meredith48

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: EMIGRATION FROM LISNADILL PARISH
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your advice, Aghadowey.  Most of my other ancestors were non-conformist while still in England, and continued in those after emigration: but the fact that this branch of the family were C of E in South Australia, I did presume Church of Ireland.  Can't imagine they were Catholic.
Back to the "drawing board" then....
Cheers, Meredith

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 10:17 GMT (UK) »
In Ireland it's usually only the Church of Ireland that kept burial records but not all of these registers survive. Before asking for burial details you need to check how far back the records actually go back.

I haven't been able to track down dates for the records but perhaps someone else will be able to do so.
http://irelandgenealogyprojects.rootsweb.ancestry.com/Old/coirecs.html

This gravestone site does show that there are burials at Lisnadill Parish Church- although for the period you need it may be that the family never erected a headstone, headstone might exist but be illegible or that there was a stone but it's been removed to re-let the plot to another family.
http://www.historyfromheadstones.com/index.php?displaygraveyardinfo&graveyard_name=Lisnadill%20CI

In case you are not aware of this- since the Church of Ireland was at one time the Established (i.e. State) church, everyone had to pay tithes to it and thus might be buried in the Parish ground. Thus you will find all different religions buried in old family plots but these 'outsiders' are not always included in the burial register.

http://www.bygonesandbyways.com/folders/churches_and_graveyards/st__john_s_lisnadill.htm
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 10:59 GMT (UK) »
No problem!

Don't forget various spellings... Hanlin/Hanlon. The C of I would be your starting point based on religion after leaving, and only a starting point!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 11:15 GMT (UK) »
CHARLEMONT
1798-1802
Rentals – major tenants – civil parishes Eglish, Forkhill, Grange, Keady, Kilclooney, Killevy, Lisnadil, Loughgall, Loughgilly, Mullaghbrack, Tartaraghan.
National Library of Ireland. Ms. 2702

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Armaghbreague was formed as a perpetual Curacy on Jan. 13, 1829, out of 3 townlands of Lisnadill and 3
townlands of Keady parishes — the Rectors of Armagh (2 turns) and Keady (2 turns) having the right of nomination and contributing towards the Curate's income £60 and £20 respectively. The Church was built on land conveyed on Sep. 14, 1830, at a cost of £600, a gift from the Board of First Fruits (Rep. 1836). It was consecrated on Oct. 19, 1831 (D.R.).
The schoolhouse was erected in 1826.

Records extant: — In P.R.O. 4 vols., viz.: — Baptisms 1829-77; Marriages 1832-45, Burials 1831-77.

Offline Meredith48

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 11:39 GMT (UK) »
thanks so much for spending all this time on my query:
The Charlemont connection - does this mean I could find something if I visited the National Library when we get to Ireland next year?   
And thanks for the Armaghbreague record info:  I thought the Parish records I was needing were amongst those lost in the fire.  Those dates are perfect for my search!  So I'm definitely going to visit the PRO. 
How exciting, and encouraging....
I've only found out about my Irish heritage in the last few months: found Scottish at the same time - prior to these two popping up, I was entirely England-based.
Thank you for contributing to my excitement!  Meredith

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 11:53 GMT (UK) »
I see Armaghbreague on P.8 here at RCB website in Dublin..  haven't checked other churches you might need!! 

The Microfilm copy available in the Reading Room of the NAI only

http://ireland.anglican.org/cmsfiles/pdf/AboutUs/library/registers/ParishRegistersTable.pdf

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 11:55 GMT (UK) »
NAI.. National Archives of Ireland

http://www.nationalarchives.ie/

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Lisnadill corresponds to the ancient parish of Clonconchy, which seems to have been united to Armagh about 1630. The greater part of the parish was at one time religious property, held by the Primate, the Abbey of SS. Peter and Paul, Armagh, or the Abbess of the Ferta.

In 1772 43 townlands were separated from Armagh and formed into the Perpetual Curacy of Lisnadill on 5th June. The church was erected in the same year by Primate Robinson, and consecrated 2 Nov., 1782. A
stone in the tower gives the date as 1772 and bears the arms of Primate Robinson. The glebe house was built in the year 1776.

The ancient church was destroyed in 1641, but its large cemetery is still used.

The Communion Plate includes a silver chalice and paten, dated 1777, and a silver flagon dated 1681.

Records extant: — Baptisms and Burials from 1778-1877, Marriages 1778-1845. Registers since these dates in possession of Incumbent,