Author Topic: Louisa Clissold Daniell  (Read 1701 times)

Offline glimpse39

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Louisa Clissold Daniell
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 October 17 15:11 BST (UK) »
I am researching the Tocknell family name in the Wiltshire/Somerset area. In looking up one Sarah Tocknell, I came across the baptism of Louisa Clisild Tocknell, which I rather think must be your Louisa. I accessed Wiltshire C of E births and baptisms, so could see the entry itself, rather than a transcript. It has the following info:

Born 4 Jan 1827, baptised Feb 21 1827. The original entry said Louisa Clisild, daughter of Joseph and Sarah Daniel of Stoke, his occupation being clothier. Then Joseph is crossed out, Daniel is crossed out and substituted with Tocknell (so leaving Sarah Tocknell as the entry), and clothier is crossed out and substituted with servant.

The page in the record refers to baptisms in Limpley Stoke, so I imagine that's what Stoke refers to when their address is given.

I think that might clarify the mystery of Louisa's birth and baptism!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 October 17 16:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for that. That is very odd, not least because in 1841 Louisa seems to be living with her father and what looks like three older siblings.

Typical genealogy - one answer, several new questions  ;)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline glimpse39

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 October 17 16:23 BST (UK) »
Yes, I saw the 1841 census. Looking at the 1851 census, it seems Mr Joseph Daniell was by then a man of some property. If he had Louisa with a servant (Sarah Tocknell), then perhaps it's not surprising that in the end he took on the responsibility of bringing her up with his other children, and giving her his own family name? There's a Sarah Tocknell living alone in 'Stoke chapelry' - which again I think is Limpley Stoke - in 1841. That's part of the parish of Bradford on Avon, which is where the Daniells were living in 1841.

It does all seem to tie together reasonably well ... particularly with the Clisild connection (which I think I saw elsewhere as an alternative to Clissold when used with the Daniell surname)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 October 17 16:47 BST (UK) »
Yes, that all makes sense. He is listed as unmarried in the 1851 and 1861 census, so maybe Eleanor, Matilda and Francis are nieces rather than more illegitimate children.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline glimpse39

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 14:56 BST (UK) »
Hi. I did a little more investigating ystdy. I found that Eleanor, Matilda and Francis were all three baptised in Limpley Stoke, like Louisa; this time their parents were recorded as Joseph and Sarah Daniel, of Stoke, he a clothier. Francis was baptised Francis Clisild.
It looks very much like Sarah was mother to all four, but she and Joseph were not actually married. However, I also found Sarah Daniell in 1851 in Bradford, Wilts, with both Matilda and Francis in the household. Meantime Joseph was living somewhere else in Bradford.
Eleanor and Matilda both got married (as with Louisa, father at the marriage was recorded as Joseph Daniel(l), clothier). Francis died in Limpley Stoke, in his 30s.
Hope this is of interest for you!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 17:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you, yes, that is very interesting. Strange goings-on in the Daniell family indeed.

Though it's principally Louisa's husband who is of interest to me. He is the one related to me and he seems to have been a rather disreputable and not entirely truthful gentleman. Is he of interest to you?

BTW someone else has now sent me an image of the original of Louisa's baptism record.

Offline glimpse39

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 17:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks, but the disreputable Mr Duncan is very much on the outer reaches of what I'm looking at! I was being side-tracked as it was with Louisa ...
Bye now

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 17:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help, anyway. Much appreciated.