Author Topic: John Leigh RAF WW2 ?  (Read 2372 times)

Offline ezyryder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John Leigh RAF WW2 ?
« on: Tuesday 10 November 15 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am trying to locate information of John Leigh who in the RAF during ww2, I think he was a Pilot Officer or Flight Sergeant. He was born abt 1923 in Croydon and his parents were Walter Bentham Leigh and Alice Green, he had a brother Alfred. We think he was killed on a mission in 1945, cant be sure of this.
Could someone be so kind as to do some lookups on this person for me. Thanks. Ezyryder

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Leigh
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Does he appear on www.cwgc.org?
Without a definite date, it's not trivial.

There doesn't appear to be a birth reg for him anywhere in the country.
I can see an Alfred B born at the end of WW1.
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline ezyryder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 18:12 GMT (UK) »
H Pauline
I am not familiar with that web site so I don't know, maybe I will try and have a look, thanks for that.

Dave

Offline ezyryder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pauline

Parents were married October 1915.

Had a look on the cwgc site, there is a John Leigh listed there but I don't think it is the person I am looking for.

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 20:12 GMT (UK) »
The only John Leigh I can see is John A Leigh J-S 1923 Croydon , but his mother's name was Kelly, not Green. Do you have the birth certificate for your John Leigh to confirm his details ? I can see an online tree which has John A Leigh , parents as you have given , but it has him buried in 1943 but died in 1945 , so that doesn't help !
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Leigh RAF WW2 ?
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Listed in the Croydon Roll of Honour :

John Arthur Leigh Flight Sgt/Pilot RAF , b Croydon 20 July 1923 , address 37 Ridgemount Ave, missing over Germany 4/5 Mar 1945.

The Commonwealth War Graves record for the above gives his parents as Arthur Edward and Margaret Leigh.

There is an entry in the Probate Calendar for this man:

John Arthur Leigh of 37 Ridgemount Avenue , Croydon died on or since 4 Mar 1945 on war service. Probate to Arthur Edward Leigh.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ezyryder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for that info, maybe I have the wrong parents, I think I will have to do some more research to find the rest of the family. Thank you for your help. And thanking Pauline for her input as well.

Dave

Offline Bruxy

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 March 16 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave,

I'm Curious..... The John Arthur Leigh you are referring to here is my great uncle. I have been trying to find out more information on his death for a long time. My Grandfather, his brother, has never really had closure on the matter, other than he his plane was shot down whilst on mission.

It is totally bizarre coming across this thread as I have been with my grandfather today and read what was said in relation to his old Croydon address and mother and Fathers names!

Do you have any information on his brother for us?!

Please email me: (*)

Thanks

Tom 

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline michaelmackey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 April 16 14:26 BST (UK) »
John leigh RAF pilot was shot down I think early years of war could be 1941 1942, he was never found,  he was related to my mother Audrey Margaret Kelly of Lavender Road Carshalton Surrey , her parents were James and Florence kelly who owned a saddlers shop in Carshalton or could be Wallington surrey, they were both killed in 1945 by a V1 Bomb in Lavender Road, John Leigh has a brother Norman who is still living. John Leigh was in his very early twenties when he was killed.