Author Topic: 1939 Register up and running (Part 3)  (Read 38173 times)

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Register up and running (Part 3)
« Reply #225 on: Sunday 12 June 16 18:58 BST (UK) »
I agree as well msr and BumbleB - it would make life a lot simpler in many ways, especially for people who don't drive or have a passport. A friend who has neither had huge problems when asked to provide identity. It threw the people who were asking as they didn't know what else was acceptable.

That concept destroys one of the best things about being British, we are free people who don't have to identify ourselves unless we want to.

The permission was refused unless I could produce my driving licence or other photo ID. I said my driving licence was a pre photo licence and I did not have photo ID.

How was the dilemma resolved I sent a text to the dealers from my phone explaining my old key would not set the car alarm and if I was not sold a new key to secure my car I would hold BMW liable.
I had the key delivered to my house the following day, it had been dispatched from Germany under the VOR procedures.
It seems BMW did not want the bad publicity that would have ensued if my car had been stolen.

Cheers
Guy
  I have been watching a motorway cops programme  on TV  today,   and one suspect refused to identify himself.  The police officers said that, in that case, they wanted to take his fingerprint   or take a photo  of him,  he also refused those options.

Usually,  if you phone the police up, either on 101   or 999,   they usually ask for your date of birth.       They have ways and means  of identifying people.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: Sunday 12 June 16 19:57 BST (UK) »

I have been watching a motorway cops programme  on TV  today,   and one suspect refused to identify himself.  The police officers said that, in that case, they wanted to take his fingerprint   or take a photo  of him,  he also refused those options.

Usually,  if you phone the police up, either on 101   or 999,   they usually ask for your date of birth.       They have ways and means  of identifying people.

Not if you are here illegally they don't.   I've got no qualms about identity cards, nothing to hide, nothing to fear.  I have no passport or photo driving licence either, so might make life easier for me too.
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: Sunday 12 June 16 20:05 BST (UK) »
If  you phone up the Emergency Services on a land line  then the operator usually knows your location.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: Monday 13 June 16 09:19 BST (UK) »
I'm with you msr on identity cards.  I will never forget, just a few years ago, watching a stage of the Tour de France when two young Dutch lads tried to drive their car in a restricted area.  The French police stopped them and then confiscated their identity cards.  Those lads were as meek as anything, made not a movement until their cards were returned some while later.

Perhaps they should be reinstated here.  I've nothing to hide, so no objections from me.

It is a legal requirement in the Netherlands, that some means of identity be carried at all times!
So, while Dutch police are never heavy-handed, the Dutch lads would be quite familiar with the process.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: Monday 13 June 16 09:45 BST (UK) »

It is a legal requirement in the Netherlands, that some means of identity be carried at all times!
So, while Dutch police are never heavy-handed, the Dutch lads would be quite familiar with the process.

I think carrying a driving licence whilst driving should be a legal requirement here.
It'd stop all that mucking around,and timewasting if the police stop people,while they try and prove(which they always do eventually) who you are.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: Monday 13 June 16 10:07 BST (UK) »
I agree as well msr and BumbleB - it would make life a lot simpler in many ways, especially for people who don't drive or have a passport. A friend who has neither had huge problems when asked to provide identity. It threw the people who were asking as they didn't know what else was acceptable.

That concept destroys one of the best things about being British, we are free people who don't have to identify ourselves unless we want to.

I don't see we would lose our freedom by having an identity card, if it was optional whether we chose to carry it around with us. As others have said, it would make life simpler for non-drivers and those who don't travel abroad.   
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: Monday 13 June 16 10:20 BST (UK) »
Topic locked as it has now got to 26 pages, sprouted legs and walked off in other directions.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea