Author Topic: 1939 Register up and running (Part 3)  (Read 38168 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Register up and running (Part 3)
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Well I have William Jack Taylor, born 6 Feb 1894, his wife Constance Maud Taylor born 13 Feb 1894. William died in 1978 in Chichester and Connie in 1993 in the same area. They had married in 1921 in Stambridge, Essex, where they both originated but William was of Luton by then, he was a miller. So they could be anywhere in the UK in 1939, have looked and looked under DOB, first and surname variants and nothing yet.

There is a William Jack Taylor showing on the Royal Artillery attestations in 1938 & 1939 on FindMyPast.  There is no information on his age or place of residence though.  Would your WJT have been too old to be in the RA at this time, I see he was in WW1  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Well I have William Jack Taylor, born 6 Feb 1894, his wife Constance Maud Taylor born 13 Feb 1894. William died in 1978 in Chichester and Connie in 1993 in the same area. They had married in 1921 in Stambridge, Essex, where they both originated but William was of Luton by then, he was a miller. So they could be anywhere in the UK in 1939, have looked and looked under DOB, first and surname variants and nothing yet.

There is a William Jack Taylor showing on the Royal Artillery attestations in 1938 & 1939 on FindMyPast.  There is no information on his age or place of residence though.  Would your WJT have been too old to be in the RA at this time, I see he was in WW1  :-\

Thanks for the heads up, shall check that. He was 45 in 1939. I did hear my great grandad was a WW2 volunteer as well from one of his younger daughters who is still alive, and he was 48 in 1939.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Clarkey500

• RootsChat Senior
  • Flag of Somerset
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 16:55 GMT (UK) »
For missing people it could be a good idea to put the forename in the surname box and the surname in the forename box. So instead of John Smith try Smith John.

I finally found one of my relatives who had this happen to him although strangely he's the only one with the reference (33 who's visible) who's had this happen to him.  :o
Although to make it worse his surname, which is now his forename, is spelled wrong as well!  ;D
Devon: Bibby, Bird, Chaplin, Davey, Littlejohns, Pope, Shire, Sloman, Tucker
Dorset: Gauler
Gloucestershire: Gauler
Hampshire: Kimber
London: Crump, Gauler
Middlesex: Crump
Monmouthshire: Brunt
Northumberland: Bibby
Somerset: Clarke, Dibble, Duddridge, Parsons, Pool, Poole, Shire, Silvester
Surrey: Clarke
Wiltshire: Gauler

GEDmatch (myself): A869547
GEDmatch (my maternal grandfather):A933749
GEDmatch (my maternal grandmother): NY7596565

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Just had a more helpful response from the FindMyPast customer service team. They have referred my specific issue (a missing stretch of street) to the technical team for investigation.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Just had a more helpful response from the FindMyPast customer service team. They have referred my specific issue (a missing stretch of street) to the technical team for investigation.

How did you manage to get them to do that? I keep getting a standard reply!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 17:44 GMT (UK) »
I gave them an extract from a 1938 directory showing the 10 missing householders and information about some of them who were known still to be there after 1939.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Is there a way of following up the notes in the last column? On some entries I have it says "see page.." or "further details on page..."

Would that info have been copied or would it only be on the original document, and if so where could it be viewed?

Matt

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 20:10 GMT (UK) »
I gave them an extract from a 1938 directory showing the 10 missing householders and information about some of them who were known still to be there after 1939.

I did a similar thing with my 'missing' grandparents in Harrow: sent them the details of the 1939 electoral roll containing their names.

I got the same response - that they'd passed it to the technical team to look into. However, that was nearly a week ago and I haven't heard back from them (other than to try and sell me the coffee table book of course!).
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt

It would appear that the notes in the last column have various meanings and no-one from HSCIC has come forward with a concise explanation for all of them.

Staff at FindMyPast have no idea, they have only digitised and transcribed the data, they didn't work with the actual register with up to 1991.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea