Author Topic: Benjamin Willis born 1755 Northumberland married in 1786 to Elizabeth Carr  (Read 551 times)

Offline Barbz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Benjamin Willis born 1755 Northumberland married in 1786 to Elizabeth Carr
« on: Wednesday 11 November 15 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm looking for the ancestors of Benjamin Willis and Elizabeth Carr, both born 1755 in Northumberland England.  They married in Ellingham 1786.

Benjamin and Elizabeth are my 6th great grandparents.

I have 1 child listed for them Isabella who was born 3 years prior of their marriage.

Many thanks
Barbz

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Willis born 1755 Northumberland married in 1786 to Elizabeth Carr
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Possible baptisms of this couple

Margaret 18 Aug 1777
Jane 8 April 1786
Isabella 27 July 1784

All these take place under the heading PARISH RECORDS AND NONCOMFORMISTS,ELLINGHAM,

I have the marriage as on 21 November 1776 but you say 1786 ?

(Note there is a baptism of a Benjamin Willis at Belford on 14 October 1741, father James)

Unfortunately there are no images on familysearch or freereg and as you are dealing with non conformists as well it looks like you will need to access the records at Woodhorn or in Newcastle

http://www.genuki.bpears.org.uk/NBL/Ellingham/ChurchRecords.html

Also the NDFHS sell some transcripts for Ellingham

http://www.ndfhs.org.uk/product-category/northumberland-parish-transcripts-books-fiche-cds/page/19/

And findmypast seem to have 10 Ellingham (BMD) records including the ones mentioned above
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Willis born 1755 Northumberland married in 1786 to Elizabeth Carr
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 November 15 06:30 GMT (UK) »
Ellingham C of E parish record from transcript

Margaret Willis baptised 18 Aug 1777 d/o Benjamin and Elizabeth Willis of Ellingham

Isabella Willis baptised 27 Jul 1784 d/o Benjamin and Elizabeth Willis of Brockdam

Jane Willis baptised 8 Apr 1786 d/o Benjamin and Elizabeth Willis of Brockdam.  Sadly buried 23 Jul 1795, died Old Brockdam.  D/o Benjamin and Elizabeth Willis

There was also another Willis couple having children at the same time that also lived in Brockdam.  Micah and Mary Willis.

Marriage:  Benjamin Willis and Elizabeth Carr, both of this Parish, 21 Nov 1776  Wit:  Richard Munkhouse, Elizabeth Smith and Thomas Atkinson

Benjamin Willis was a frequent witness to other weddings--just about every one until 1895.  Lived next door to the church?  Was an employee of the church?   Gave a great party?  Like to go to parties?

Burials:

Benjamin Willis, age 80 of North Charlton, buried 15 Jul 1821

Elizabeth Willis, age 72 of Brownside, died 16 June buried 18 Jun 1827

When the LDS has a certain parish where it includes non conformist does not mean the records you find were nonconformist.  It just means they recorded what was in the parish record book as frequently children were recorded as born in the parish and it was usually in a separate section sometimes divided by religion  ie Papist, Presbyterian.  These are usually birth dates rather than baptism dates as they were not baptised in the C of E church.  it was very important that a person be named and have written documentation as belonging to or born that parish area. 
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk