Author Topic: Thomas Duggleby of Hunmanby my 4x great grandfather  (Read 1848 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Duggleby of Hunmanby my 4x great grandfather
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 November 15 03:07 GMT (UK) »
This gets more puzzling. Son William's baptism says s/o Thomas Duggleby of Newland in the parish of Cottingham and Mary his wife AND Rachel only d/o William Dorsdale and Elizabeth his wife.

So putting the information from Elizabeth & William together it suggests Thomas is from Cottingham and was the first son of Robert & Mary, but 1780 the baptism in Cottingham just says son of Mary Duggleby.

There was a 1770 marriage in Cottingham of a Mary Duggleby & Robert Jackson, but that doesn't seem to make sense on any level.  On 22 Oct 1787 a Mary Duggleby married Thomas Maynell at York, St Helen, so if Thomas was illegitimate that's a possibility I guess  :-\

Ive PM'd you about the marriage.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 November 15 05:50 GMT (UK) »
It looks like I have job, looking at the original documents and puzzling this out. (I have a innate distrust of transcriptions). have to make sure I don't mix up the 2 Thomas's of Cottingham

Thanks again Julie for all your help.

Brian
People will not look forward to posterity, who never look backward to their ancestors. Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Offline Dosdale

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 14 November 15 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Brian

Several trees on Ancestry show John Duggleby (1742-1825) and Mary Forge (1749-1831) as the parents of Thomas, though no sources are shown.

Terry

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 14 November 15 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Terry

The parish record of the baptism of William, Thomas's first child, the transcript reads thus

"Baptisms in Reighton parish in 1805 and 1806
William 1st son 1st child of
Father:Thomas Duggleby, tanner, 1st son of Robert Duggleby of Newland in the parish of Cottingham by Mary his wife
wife:Racheal only child of William Dorsdale, labourer, by Elizabeth his wife. 
William: born 14 Nov, bapt 24 Nov 1805"

This corresponds with baptism record of Thomas from 30 Jun 1780 from Cottingham parish with mother Mary Duggleby listed. (the original parish record might have more data on this baptism rather than the bishop's transcript record which is the source)

PS subsequent baptism's of Thomas's children confirm Robert and Mary as parents of Thomas.

I have not found any other source of Robert and Mary, yet

Brian
People will not look forward to posterity, who never look backward to their ancestors. Edmund Burke 1729-1797