Author Topic: Albert Edward Newman 1902  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
  • And he's still just as cute!
    • View Profile
Albert Edward Newman 1902
« on: Wednesday 11 November 15 19:42 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for Albert Edward Newman b. 01 Sep 1902 Lanport Hampshire. He was the youngest of 5 siblings. 3 of the children went to Canada and contact lost as they were separated. The oldest Beatrice came to Leicestershire married and raised a family. Since tracking down the family, no one knows what has happened to Albert.

The last record I have is the 1911 census where he was living with his mother Betsie and a James Urry, 17 York Place Portsea, Hampshire. I have looked at the 1939 Register and found Betsie but Albert not there. I can't find an early death, (some talk in the family that he was ill but seems more likely a sibling.) There are 2 possible marriages of Albert E Newman in Portsmouth in 1931 and 1938.

Would any Rootchatters have access to some records that I don't have. Otherwise I will have to send for Marriage Certificates one by one and if he moved away from Portsmouth this is going to be a lot harder and more expensive.

Thanks
Robert..
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
FLETCHER – Louth (District), Lincolnshire
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Edward Newman 1902
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 20:05 GMT (UK) »
With your mention of Canada I assume that you have considered that he may has gone there as well.

There is a record for 6 August, 1913, of a 11yr old Alfred Newman on a ship called "Tunisian" from Liverpool to Quebec. It looks as if he was travelling alone as well but there are many other "children" with this Alfred.

Could he have been going to join a sibling?

Richard
Stay in the  Moment

Grainger - Wigton and Newcastle Area
Gibson - Newcastle/Scotland (Roxburgh) Areas
Crisell/Crissell/Chrysel/etc. - Suffolk Area
Schoch - Germany (Öhringen Area)

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 20:23 GMT (UK) »
With your mention of Canada I assume that you have considered that he may has gone there as well.

There is a record for 6 August, 1913, of a 11yr old Alfred Newman on a ship called "Tunisian" from Liverpool to Quebec. It looks as if he was travelling alone as well but there are many other "children" with this Alfred.

Could he have been going to join a sibling?

Richard
Thank you Richard for your reply. I have looked at this possibility but never found a strong enough link. The other children that went was all recorded with their middle name or initial and DOB. The problem is there are just so many boys with the name of Albert Edward Newman in fact in Porstmouth there was two in 1902 although one died in infancy.

Robert...
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 21:25 GMT (UK) »
In looking at the 1911 census I see he is with his mother (widow) who a house keeper for a James Urry.  James has a daughter (Olive) listed there, aged 9 months, but he is listed as "single".
Wonder who Olive's mother is ?
Could Bessie have later married James Urry? He is listed as a Brick Layer (not many would be able to afford a "housekeeper").

Richard
Stay in the  Moment

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 21:32 GMT (UK) »
In looking at the 1911 census I see he is with his mother (widow) who a house keeper for a James Urry.  James has a daughter (Olive) listed there, aged 9 months, but he is listed as "single".
Wonder who Olive's mother is ?
Could Bessie have later married James Urry? He is listed as a Brick Layer (not many would be able to afford a "housekeeper").

Richard
From Betsie married James in 1913. I have tried to see if Albert Edward was using the name "Urry" but that don't seem to have come up.
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Coincidence??
mother Bessie marries James Urry in last 1/4 of 1913
Son Albert could have been sent "away" in August of that year to Canada?

Longshot ... maybe?

How old were Betsie's other children, that were sent to Canada and when did that happen. Her 1st husband died, Stephen Newman, died in 1905 (according to another tree). So just a guess that they were sent shortly after that.
Not trying to lead you on the wrong path but it does bear checking further I think.

Richard
Stay in the  Moment

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Coincidence??
mother Bessie marries James Urry in last 1/4 of 1913
Son Albert could have been sent "away" in August of that year to Canada?

Longshot ... maybe?

How old were Betsie's other children, that were sent to Canada and when did that happen. Her 1st husband died, Stephen Newman, died in 1905 (according to another tree). So just a guess that they were sent shortly after that.
Not trying to lead you on the wrong path but it does bear checking further I think.

Richard
Interesting visiting old territory but with a different mind set. One of the sad things is they did not encourage siblings to contact each other. Nellie Laura left in 1909 she died at age 20. Then Francis Alice in 1908 and she has been the one who maintained some family contact. George Stephen in 1909 all these with Bernardo's. Albert Newman who you found went with McPherson. That probably explains why the detail is not so good. The National Archives of Canada online database is down until 17 Nov. I remember going through this before but got no match but I will look again.

Robert...
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline antiquesam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 November 15 07:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robert. If you're still looking at those two marriages for Albert I'll have a look at the records in the library and let you have the details so that you can decide if either refer to your Albert.
Coomber, Scrimgeour, Shiel, Thiel,

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 November 15 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robert. If you're still looking at those two marriages for Albert I'll have a look at the records in the library and let you have the details so that you can decide if either refer to your Albert.
Hi and thank you that would be of help. Thanks.
Robert...
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics