Author Topic: Thomas Morfee and Elizabeth Pankhurst  (Read 1360 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Morfee and Elizabeth Pankhurst
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 November 15 02:21 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I saw that Elizabeth Pankhurst too on FreeREG.
But Familysearch has a Burial of a EP, 30 September 1827, Burwash, age 15, which may be the same Elizabeth.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 13 November 15 08:35 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if the EM who was buried in 1846 died of a complication of childbirth as there is a baptism for John, son of Thomas Morfee, Mariner, and Elizabeth baptised in June 1846.  An earlier baptism for Elizabeth Ellen in 1841 shows their address as Hill Street.  I expect you have all this but the Sussex Family History site has good records for members and it is not expensive to join.

Offline Geordie Mag

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 November 15 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info about the death of an Elizabeth Pankhurst. I expect that is the Elizabeth whose birth I found. I keep an eye open for deaths in the first years of life, (there was a time when I could trot out statistics about the percentage of children who failed to make it to the age of 5) but she had got through the early hurdles. Good job I haven't constructed an entire family tree around her.
Yes, thanks, I have got the info about the Morfees' various addresses. In fact, what re-triggered my interest in the Morfees was walking past a sign pointing to Gloucester Cottages last month, when on a fleeting visit to Hastings for a family funeral. I remembered that that was a place they lived.
I too wondered whether Elizabeth died in childbirth. Interestingly, John in census returns is variously mentioned  as "dumb" and "crippled" which made me suspect a difficult birth leading to death for the mother and a handicapped child. Difficult to work out what was wrong with him from terse census returns.
Northumberland: Little, Hogg, Tyers, Reid
Durham: Todd, Lee,
Cumbria: Ross, Ivison, Tyers
Yorkshire North Riding: Pybus, Alderson, Rutherford, Mudd, Wilson
Sussex: Selmes, Ashdown, Freelove, Mitchell