Author Topic: Royal Marines 1814 Discharge certificate. Information included.  (Read 1843 times)

Offline KiwiRose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Royal Marines 1814 Discharge certificate. Information included.
« on: Wednesday 11 November 15 23:23 GMT (UK) »
I have located in National Archives a record that, among other mostly known information, includes an ancestor’s father’s discharge certificate from the Royal Marines in November 1814. Unfortunately one can only access online Royal Marines Service records 1842 – 1926 from National Archives.  Before I send off an order for the whole record, just to view the discharge certificate, what information is likely to be on discharge papers for 1814?

The Royal Marines find is quite exciting as the father was born in Northamptonshire. This explains why he was so far away from his home county when he married in October, 1814 in Strood, Kent.

Finding his enlistment papers would be wonderful. From research done so far I have had no luck. My knowledge of the military and its terms is near nil which does hinder my researching on Google.  The FH Library only has 3 Divisions attestation records on micro film. Only Plymouth and Portsmouth 1804 – 1881 would cover the correct period.

I look forward to any help from fellow Rootschatters.

Regards
KiwiRose.
Ireland:
County Antrim: Carrickfergus District: Irwin, McAllister, McNeil, Moore.
County Clare: Barrett.
USA:
Washington State: Moore, Hoyt, Sinclair, Johnson, Palmateer, Larrabee.
California: De Curtoni.
New Zealand: De Cartoni, Lofquist, Harding.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Marines 1814 Discharge certificate. Information included.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 November 15 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Strood is near Chatham, so he probably served in that Division. If the NAs quote is high ask them for a list of researchers.

The Discharge Certificate was used to prove his identity when he collected his pension. It also acted as a testimonial when looking for work. So it basically gave character and a full description.

Ken

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 November 15 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately one can only access online Royal Marines Service records 1842 – 1926 from National Archives. 

Have you looked on FindMyPast,  I found my grandfathers Royal Marine records there.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline private78245

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 November 15 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I found all my fathers papers , (he was in RMLI.) At the Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton.
Apparently all the Marines paperwork is stored there.  I even got my fathers writing test.

good luck
Trailor,Traylor.Jones. Morgans. Griffiths, Evans.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 November 15 14:43 GMT (UK) »
I would also highly recommend the RM Museum at Yeovilton, extremely helpful.
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline KiwiRose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 November 15 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Ken, for letting me know what information a Royal Marines Discharge Certificate of 1814 would contain. It would be interesting to know the father’s character and get a full physical description. The record in National Archives contains 12 documents, one of which must be the father’s discharge certificate, so until I get a quote I have no idea as to just how much it would cost.  At what point would it be cheaper and wiser to use a researcher?

Thanks for the suggestion,Rosie99, to check out FindMyPast.  I had presumed that if National Archives had no Royal Marine records prior to 1842 then no-one would. I should know by now not to assume anything in genealogy! FindMyPast will be searched later today and I hope I will have the same successful outcome as you.

Thank you,private78245, and, maxD, for alerting me to the RM Museum at Yeovilton. Google never let me know about this museum.  Searching online for this museum has been added to the list of searches I will do today. I hope their records go back to around 1800 as the father was born in Northamptonshire around 1790. I am aware that some recruits joined the military at a very young age in those days.

Are there any Rootschatters who would have any idea as to what Royal Marine Division would be in Chatham, Kent around 1813/1814? Time for Father’s courtship and marriage! Without checking, I think that the Napoleonic war was around that time.

Kind regards,
KiwiRose.
Ireland:
County Antrim: Carrickfergus District: Irwin, McAllister, McNeil, Moore.
County Clare: Barrett.
USA:
Washington State: Moore, Hoyt, Sinclair, Johnson, Palmateer, Larrabee.
California: De Curtoni.
New Zealand: De Cartoni, Lofquist, Harding.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 November 15 21:02 GMT (UK) »
See http://www.fleetairarm.com/royal-navy-royal-marines-services-records.aspx which covers what they have at Yeovilton.  Worth a brief first enquiry to let the experts there guide you further which, in my experience, they will be glad to do.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 November 15 07:26 GMT (UK) »

I had presumed that if National Archives had no Royal Marine records prior to 1842 then no-one would. I should know by now not to assume anything in genealogy!

Dangerous to presume anything about the National Archives. They have put RM records from 1842 online. But they have them from 1755. Otherwise they would not be in a position to quote you.

The Divisions were named after the town - Chatham, Portsmouth and Portsmouth were the main ones. Marines were usually allocated to ships from the same home port - in rough proportion of one marine to each registered gun. So Euryalus (36) of 1805 would have had about 36 marines.

Researching Marines that have not been digitised is a skilled job. But knowing that he retired near Chatham should be a big help.

Ken

Added...The Fleet Air Arm Museum say on their website that their records date from the 1850s.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 November 15 13:16 GMT (UK) »
The record in National Archives contains 12 documents, one of which must be the father’s discharge certificate, so until I get a quote I have no idea as to just how much it would cost. 

I got a quote for my Royal Marine and it was around £100. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk