Author Topic: Reids of Dundee?  (Read 754 times)

Offline Mollyrobz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Reids of Dundee?
« on: Thursday 12 November 15 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Please help me find a death for Mary Reid so I can try and find out who her parents where. I know that she married Robert Wright who was born 1796 in Dundee. They married 1822 in Dundee, they had a son David Wright who married 1858 in St Cyrus. David said that both of his parents where deceased. He stated that his father Robert was a sailor. I'm really struggling with Mary Reid, she also went by the name May. I have the OPR certificate for her marriage to Robert and I think it says that her dad's name was James. I'm grateful for any info :)
Molly

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Reids of Dundee?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 November 15 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Molly

Have you been able to find David's parents, Robert and Mary on either the 1841 or 1851 censuses?

If they died before 1855, as you know, will be hard to confirm either of their parents' names  :-\

The OPR entry that you have for Robert and Mary's marriage in 1822 Dundee, what else does it say? James as Mary's father, an occupation? A place name reference for either Robert or Mary?

Monica   :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 November 15 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Molly, you and Scottleneveu www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=727079.0 seems to be crossing name and lines on a number of posts...He has not been on for a few weeks. Hope he comes back to RC soon  ;)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mollyrobz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 November 15 21:59 GMT (UK) »
I sense that something is meant by that. If what you said is true that is then we clearly have common ancestry. Is that unusual? I've commented on his posts but I've gotten no reply. So I've started my own post on the topic.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 November 15 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Molly,

As Monica said, same enquiries from Scott so best if you have a link with same person to add to post already in situ as people will be double searching for info. already found & wasting time & effort.

Scott has posted his enquiry for help too so whether or not you have had a reply from him will not interfere with look-ups/searches by RC'rs but keeping it all in the same place for same people makes sense rather than confuse others who may have a common link too.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 November 15 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Molly,

What I should have mentioned was.............

Sometimes names with "ei" are found as "ie" e.g Reid/Ried or Neil/Niel so worth checking the spelling on look-ups as even in this day & age people get mixed up as to which way round it is.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"