Author Topic: George Leitch Marks  (Read 3570 times)

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Leitch Marks
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 November 15 09:31 GMT (UK) »
1919 Commonwealth Electoral Roll
Div of Capricornia, Sub Div of Gladstone.
Mary Ann Marks, Gondoon St, home duties.

Gerry

Offline 85jbk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 13 November 15 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the snippets rosball, interesting as I hadn't come across those before. Wivenhoe I mentioned earlier in a post about the 1937 death cert for a charles marks with father ruben marks. Thats the cert I'm waiting on. First George was a cook, the next george a butcher and the third George a cook as well.
Wells-Eaglesfield,Dumfrieshire
Carlyle -Eaglesfield,Dumfrieshire
Underwood - Ruthwell,Dumfrieshire
Grierson - Ruthwell,Dumfrishire
O'Halloran- Limerick
Bryan (O'Brien)Limerick
Hawks/Hawkes - Staffordshire, England
Badgery - Staffordshire, England
Davis-  Cork- Ireland
Neville - Ireland
O'Toole - Limerick

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 November 15 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Possibly a       COLEMAN   and   VICKERS/VICCARS          connection?

FreeBDM marriage Mar Q 1856      Winslow 3a / 461
Ann COLEMAN    m.  Reuben MARKS

Census 1871                           at 3 High St South Horwood  BUCKS.
MARKS George 38y miller  b. Great Horwood
MARKS Ann      35y           b. Drayton Parslow
MARKS Ellen     14y           b. Great Horwood
MARKS Jethro     8y           b. Great Horwood
MARKS George L  2y          b. Great Horwood

Census 1861  at Mill House
MARKS Reuben  28y    ag labourer     b. Great Horwood
MARKS Ann       25y                         b. Drayton Parslow
MARKS Ellen        4y                         b. Great Horwood 
MARKS Ann         3 m                       b. Great Horwood

Census 1851   at Wood End Great Horwood
VICCARS Grant   26y  ag labourer   b. Grandborough  BUCKS
VICCARS Susan   30y                     b. Great Brickhill
VICCARS Sarah Ann  4y                 b. Great Brickhill
VICCARS John Thomas  2y             b. Great Horwood
VICCARS William          3m            b. Great Horwood
COLEMAN Ann           14y  visitor    b. Drayton Parslow  BUCKS.

FreeBDM  marriage    Sep Q 1846  Winslow 6 / 593
COLEMAN Susanna   m.  VICCARS Grant

Offline KarmaStream

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 November 15 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Morning Bulletin (Rockhampton) 14 Dec 1937
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/55958579?
....obit for Mary Ann MARKS d. 14 Dec 1937...widow of George.......buried Mt Morgan Cemetery.

Can you list all the information on the 1937 death certificate you have please.

Thank you everyone for your ideas.

Here is the information from the certificate for Charles Marks that was purchased. Buried at Toowoomba Cemetary.

Where & When Died: 27th July 1935 General Hospital Toowoomba, QLD
Christian Name & Surname & Occupation: Charles Marks
Sex and Age: Male 69 years 9 months and 3 days
Cause of Death: (available if important but I don't think it is)
Christian Name & Surname of Father & Occupation. Christian Name and Surname of Mother: Rubin Marks Ann Vickers
Where & When Buried: 29th July 1935 Toowoomba Cemetary
Where Born: Buckinghamshire, England (over 20 years in Australian States)
If Deceased was married, at what age and to whom: Corinda New South Wales 50 years

If George did remarry, I can't find this information either.

I do believe that you mentioned below, that there might be a COLEMAN/VICCARS connection as shown in the 1851 census refers to Ann Coleman being a visitor to the VICCARS residence. I think that you are correct but I am not certain how close the connection is yet.

Ann Marks (nee Coleman) died when George L Marks was around 3 years old in Buckinghamshire on 12th May 1872. His Father, Reuben remarried Ann Miller on 21st Nov 1880. Reuben died  on 18th Dec 1881 when George was only around 10 years old. George Leach Marks lived with his step mother Ann Marks (nee Miller) and her children from a previous marriage. So because George was so young when both of his parents died, it is possible that he was not clear on his mothers name or maybe she did go by another name for a period of time.

I am still interested to find out what the possible VICCARS connection might be if I can prove it.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 November 15 06:05 GMT (UK) »

Do you have the marriage certificate 1890?. It would be useful to see how George names his parents.....and also the names of the witnesses.

"....Ann Marks (nee Coleman) died when George L Marks was around 3 years old in Buckinghamshire on 12th May 1872. His Father, Reuben remarried Ann Miller on 21st Nov 1880."

Who cared for George L MARKS between 1872 and 1880.....possibly a VICCARS /VICKERS?

Who is the informant for the death certificate, 1935, for Charles MARKS, who would seem to be your George? This person knows a lot about him.

What do you know about George MARKS leaving his wife Mary Ann?

Offline KarmaStream

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wivenhoe

Sorry but this is long…

PART 1 of 3

Yes, I do have a copy of the marriage certificate of 1890 for George Marks and Mary Ann Shaxted. Attached so that you can see everything.

I have also attached the death registration record for Charles Marks 1935. Informant is a secretary of the Toowoomba Hospital Board. Would that be normal for them to know that much about a person? Could the witness of the burial be a person of interest? or would/could that normally be a worker associated with the burial.

I am the grand daughter of June Adelaide Marks, who is the daughter of Arthur John Patrick Marks, who is the son of George Leach Marks. This is a very personal search. I am looking on behalf of my grandmother June, (who is in her early '80s) and is still wanting to know where her grandfather is or went to? Where did he go after he left her grandmother  (Mary Ann Marks Nee Shaxted) before the "9th child" was born. The only thing that my family know is that he left. There was no reason passed on, as to why he left. He was never spoken of since that time according to my grandmother (June) and her siblings (James, Jean & John).

This is the story of George Leach Marks:

Leach is Georges’ mothers last name. George is often referred by the following names:
George Leach Marks
George L Marks
George Leich Marks
George Leitch Marks
Note: George Marks had a son born in 31/12/1892 which is spelt George Leitch Marks.

FACTS
George L Marks (1870 – 1935??)
Birth 1870 Great Horwood, Buckinghamshire. Father: Reuben Marks (B 1833 Great Horwood D 1881 Great Horwood) Mother Ann Coleman (1836 - 1872)

George arrived in Australia 2 May 1889 on the Quetta aged 19 years. Single No read No write Prode Kent Free Farm Labourer. Place of Origin: Kent, England. Port of Departure: London, England. Port of arrival: Brisbane. Quetta 2147 tons Captain Withers Sailed from London 5th March 1889 Arrived Brisbane 2 May 1889. Surgeon Superintendent Dr Poland Matron McGowan.

Census 1895 George Marks Bolsover St, Rockhampton
Census 1905 George Marks Bolsover St, Rockhampton

Married: Mary Ann Shaxted on 8th October 1890. Rockhampton. Cert attached.

Mary Ann Shaxted also arrived from England Single on a different ship.

Aust Electoral Roll 1903: Age 33
George Leitch Marks: M Cemetary Road, Mt Morgan Baker
Mary Marks: F Cemetary Road, Mt Morgan Domestic Duties
(no Jane Miller in Mt Morgan 1903 census) J Miller was a witness on MC
Note: They are the only Marks on 1903 Mt Morgan census

The Week (Brisbane, Qld. : 1876 1934),
Friday 6 March 1903, page 22
Petition has been filed for liquidation in the following estates: George Leitch Marks, Mt Morgan, Baker.

Aust Electoral Roll 1905: Age 35
George Leitch Marks: M Cemetary Road, Mt Morgan Baker
Mary Marks: F Cemetary Road, Mt Morgan Domestic Duties
(no Jane Miller in Mt Morgan 1905 census)
Only Marks on 1905 census in Mt Morgan

Morning Bulletin (Rockhampton, Qld. : 1878 - 1954), Saturday 24 February 1906, page 8
Supreme Court Discharge of Insolvency: It was found there were no creditors. Discharge of Insolvency was granted.

2nd July 1909 “9th Child” Percy Gordon Marks was born. Last born for Mary Ann Marks and George Leach Marks. Nil children born to Mary Ann Marks after Percy Gordon Marks.

Aust Electoral Roll 1910
George Leach Marks: M Horse Creek, Mt Morgan Baker
Mary Marks: F Horse Creek, Mt Morgan Domestic Duties (WIFE)
Same addresses

Queensland Brands Directory 1913: George Leich Marks with brand marks V 3 Z (similar)
Nil addresses on these records

Aust Electoral Roll 1913
(2nd ) George Leitch Marks: M Leo Hotel, Clermont Cook
George Marks: M Mt Morgan Baker
George Leitch Marks: M Mt Morgan Baker
George Leitch Marks: M Cemetary Rd, Mt Morgan Baker
Mary Marks: F Horse Creek, Mt Morgan Domestic Duties
** Too many enteries – interesting to see any annotated notes on these documents (How can I find this?) Son George Leitch Marks would have been eligible to vote by now wouldn’t he? George that we are looking for is a Baker/Cook not a butcher. His son was a butcher.

Aust Electoral Roll 1915
George Leith Marks: M Mount Cornish Cook
George Leitch Marks: M Black Street, Mt Morgan Baker (SON)

End of Part 1 of 3

Offline KarmaStream

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 12:58 GMT (UK) »
PART 2 of 3

14th May 1917 - George Leich Marks Tried to enlist in AIF. I have the full records on file. Hernia was the reason for his discharge 2 days later. Too old and "in total" inoperable hernia. Hernia was a previous illness (14 years ago ~ 1903). Address: Black St, Mt Morgan. Have you held an apprenticeship: Yes G Brown Welford, England Baker for 5 years. Are you married: Yes 3 children Next of Kin: Wife Mrs Mary Ann Marks, Black Street, Mt Morgan What is your permanent address: Black Street, Mt Morgan. Have you served in any armies before: No. I further agree to allot not less than three fiths of the pay payable to me from time to time during my service for the support of my wife and children. Dated 14/5/1917 Returned Soldiers Employment Bureau form notes the following: George Leich Marks Civil Calling: Civil Address: Black  Street, Mt Morgan Name & Address of Last Employer: Beaconsfield Station, Ilfracombe Nature of Former Employment: Cook Name & Address of Nearest living relative: Mrs Mary Ann Marks, Black St, Mt Morgan Age: 44 years 11 mths Promise or expectation in relation to future employment: Nil State in which enlisted: QLD If in ending to settle on the land what Previous rural experience and what financial resources can you command: Yes, 10 years. NIL.
Notes: For the above, Beaconsfield Station is now a heritage listed site. Wool washing station.

7th September 1917: George Leich Marks tried to enlist again. Upfront with Hernia and denied again. He is actually older than what he states on both of his applications. He was around 46~47 years old.

Aust Electoral Roll 1919 (2nd)
George Leitch Marks: M Black Street, Mt Morgan Baker (SON)
James Ernest Marks: M Black Street, Mt Morgan Labourer (SON)
May Evelyn Marks: F Red Hill Home Duties (Wife of James Ernest Marks)
Mary Ann Marks: F Goondoon St, Gladstone Home Duties (WIFE)

Aust Electoral Roll 1930
Arthur Patrick John Marks: M East St Labourer (SON)
Mary Ann Marks: East St Extended Home Duties (WIFE)
Sarah Annie Marks: F East St Waitress (DAUGHTER)
James Ernest Marks: M Ernest St, Innisfail Butcher (SON)
May Evelyn Marks: F Gladys St, Innisfail Home Duties (wife of James Marks SON)
George Leitch Marks: M May St, Blackall Butcher (SON)
Cecelia Marks: F May St, Blackall Home Duties (wife of George Leitch Marks SON)

Children Born to George L Marks
Reuben Francis Marks (1889 – 1921) Died age 21yrs
Ellen Marks (1891 – 1938) Married E Jenkinson (Had a baker shop in Gladstone)
George Leitch Marks (1892 – 1955) Butcher Moved to Blackall
James Ernest Marks (1894 – 1958) Married M Cooper (Butcher)
Thomisina Mary Marks (1896 – 1896) Young Death 3 mths
Alice Myrtle Marks (1900 – 1985 ) Married A Paterson
Sarah Annie Marks (1903 – 1960) Married G Anderson
William Jethro Marks ( 1905 – 1980 ) Married D Smith (Tailor)
Arthur John Patrick Marks (1907- 1963) Bootmaker/Shoe Repairs Married Adelaide Dinah Brisbin  (MY Great Grandfather)
Percy Gordon Marks (1909- 1970) Cook

Thomisina died as a baby therefore when the family say, that George left before the 9th child was born they mean that he left before Percy Gordon was born in 1909.

George Leach Marks Grandparents

Note: Reuben Marks Father: Francis Marks (1805 - 1885) Mother: Elizabeth Leach (B 1804 Bradwell D 1859 Great Horwood)

1841 England Census: WIGWELL, Francis Marks M Mar (36) Ag Labourer B in same county, Elizabeth Marks F Mar (36) B in same county, Ellen Marks F (13) B in same county, Joseph Marks M (11) B in same county, Reuben Marks M (8), Levi Marks M (2) B in same county, Elizabeth F (2 months) B in same county. "Georges Grandparents"

1841 England Census: Drayton Parslow Parish. Thomas Coleman M (56) Miller?Driller, B in same county, Elizabeth F (46) B in same county, Edmund M (25) Miller B in same county, Charles M (20) Miller, Hannah F (15), Betsy F (12), Philip M (10), Joseph M (7), Ann F (4). All B in same county.

1851 England Census: EAST STREET, Great Horwood. Frances Marks HEAD M Mar (46) Ag Labourer, Elizabeth Marks Wife Mar (46) Joseph Marks Son M (20) Ag Labourer, Reuben Marks Son M (18) Ag Labourer, Levi Marks Son M (17) Ag Labourer, Elizabeth Marks Dau F (10) Scholar, Frances Marks Son M (3) All Born Buckinghamshire Great Horwood except Wife Elizabeth Leach B Braswell. "Georges Grandparents"

1861 England Census: HILL HOUSE, Great Horwood. Reuben Marks HEAD Mar (28) Ag Labourer, Ann Marks Wife F (26), Ellen Daug F (4), Ann Marks Dau F (3 months). "Georges Parents before he was born"

1871 England Census: 3 HIGH STREET, Rueben Marks HEAD (38) Miller B Great Horwood & Wife Ann Marks (35) B Drayton Parslow; Ellen Marks Dau (14) Lacemaker B Great Horwood; Jethro Marks Son (8) Scholar B Great Horwood; George L Marks Son (2) B Great Horwood "Georges parents after he was born"

Reuben Marks first wife died Ann Marks (nee Coleman) died 12th May 1872 aged 36 in Great Horwood.

End of Part 2 of 3

Offline KarmaStream

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 13:00 GMT (UK) »
PART 3 of 3

Reuben then married second wife Ann Marks (nee Miller) 21st Nov 1880.

1881 England Census: SHELFORD ROAD. Civil Parish: South Kilworth County: Leicestershire.
Ann Marks HEAD Married (43) Grocer B Welford, Jethro Marks Son Unmarried (18) Labourer B Buckinghamshire Great Horwood; George Marks Son (12) Labourer B Buckinghamshire Great Horwood; Mary Ann Pitcher Daug ( 8 ) Scholar Leicestershire South Kilworth; William Pitcher Son (7) Scholar B Leicestershire South Kilworth; Naomi Pitcher Daug (5) Scholar B Leicestershire South Kilworth; Ephraim Pitcher Son (4)Scholar B Leicestershire South Kilworth

1881 England Census: 35 , Frances Marks HEAD M (77) Widower Ag Labourer B Great Horwood, Reuben Son & Visitor M Married (47) Sub-post master and Grocer, Ellen Marks Daug F Unmarried (23) Lacemaker B Great Horwood, Reuben Marks Grandson M (9) Scholar B Great Horwood

Georges Grandfather Frances Marks died 9th May 1885 in Great Horwood.

MY SUMMARY

1)   I have found military records for George Leich Marks where on his first application in May 1917 he nominates his wife and 3 children to receive his income. On the second application in Sept 1917 he nominates only his son, Arthur Patrick Marks to receive the income and he notes on this application that he is married and living apart from his wife Mary Ann Marks, next of kin is his son, Arthur Patrick Marks
2)   Mary Ann Marks was a well respected member of the Mt Morgan community, according to a newspaper article after her death 14/12/1937. This story says that she died after George but really he was deemed dead by the family because they never heard from him ever again after he left. Maybe he felt embarrassed (insolvency matter) or inability to enlist in the army or maybe he felt that he was unable to provide for the family due to his hernia and thought it was best if he left. Or did some one know that George Marks (possibly known as Charles Marks had died in July 1935)
3)   Most of the descendents of Arthur Patrick Marks have always lived in Mt Morgan (never left). These family members have worked at the Mt Morgan Council for many, many decades and also at the local cemetery and lived amongst the community since he left. If we could find out what why he left from the talk of the town then we would have. But these have been unanswered questions for the whole family since the day he left. Where did he go? Why did he go? How can we find out where he went to?
4)   The death record from for Charles Marks in Toowoomba 1935 with parents names very similar to that of George Marks, did note that he married when he was 50 years in Corinda NSW. This puts a marriage in Corinda, NSW approximately 1920. See attached Death Record for Charles Marks
5)   There is a possible Coleman/Viccars connection. Georges mother ie Ann Marks (nee Coleman) (1836-1872) was noted on an England Census 1851 as being a visitor to the VICCARS residence. On this census of 1851, Susan Coleman (30), Grant Viccars (26), Sarah Ann Viccars (4), John Thomas Viccars (2) and William Viccars (3mths) along with Ann Coleman Straw Plaiter Visitor (14) B Drayton Parslow. Susan Coleman and Grant Viccars married after this census, in 1846. How is Ann Coleman related to Susan Coleman? Mother? Aunt? Ann Coleman married Georges father, Reuben Marks, in Jan 1856 and died when she was only 36, on 12/5/1872 in Great Horwood. Reuben Marks then re-married Ann Miller on 21/11/1880. Reuben died 18/12/1881. George Leach Marks would have only been 13 years old when his father died and he had no parents alive. Census records show that Ann Marks (nee Miller) looked after George & Jethro (noted as step sons on 1881 census) whilst Reuben was visiting his father Frances Marks just before Reuben death. Ann Marks (nee Miller) also looked after her own children from her previous marriage “Pitchers”. Sometime after Reuben death George has undertaken an apprenticeship “Baker” with G Brown for 5 year.  Georges Grandfather, Frances Marks died 9th May 1885 in Great Horwood. George has immigrated to Australia in 1889 aged 19yrs.
6)   Last known employer on military records (1917) was Beaconsfield Station, Ilfracombe as a cook. He is also on a census 1913 as a cook at Leo Hotel, Clermont and 1915 as a cook at Mt Cornish. Can I prove that he worked at any of these places prior the applications for enlistment? Did he return to any of these after the applications, even though the military record says that there was no promise or expectation after being discharged from the AIF.
7)   It seems that there was a period of separation from Mary Ann Marks. George has disappeared from official records after Sept 1917 (military records). Last census 1915.

Can anyone help out with any further direction or information on what I could do to solve the mystery of this "George Leach Marks"

Your time and any help is great appreciated!!

End of Part 3 of 3

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 07:16 GMT (UK) »
Some thoughts, impressions that might be useful........

"... according to a newspaper article after her death 14/12/1937....... she (Mary Ann MARKS) died after George........."

I think this obituary makes no account of husband George. Mary is not described as a widow.  The family that Mary Ann leaves is described by naming her children.

Do you have a death certificate for Mary Ann MARKS, died 1937, to see if she is a widow?

Do you have marriage certificate for Percy Gordon MARKS, 1938, to see if father is (dec)?

Do you have marriage certificate for -
1935 C817 Arthur John Patrick MARKS  m.   Adelaide Dina BRISBIN to see if father is (dec).

The death certificate has these dates for Charles MARKS -
died 27 July 1935, buried 29 July 1935, death recorded 26 August 1935....then 7 September written in far top right hand.

The age is recorded exactly...........derived from a birth date?......why?  If it has been copied rather than calculated, where else would his age at death be recorded as years, months and days?. This, as well as mother's name, were possibly recorded after the other details....ink colour is lighter, and the space left for the age was written around.

You might think that the hospital clerk would know what information was asked for on a death certificate. If the clerk did not have the age and mother's name at the time of recording, you might wonder why this information would be added later anyway.....hardly important in the order of things? If it was provided later, who provided this information?

If the death was not recorded until a month after the event it would suggest that no one (wife) was needing it to claim a widow's pension...assuming there ever was a second "marriage" for George / Charles.

The minister, H E Hunt, is Rev. Henry Edward HUNT, of St Lukes Anglican Church, Toowoomba.
There is a website for St Lukes. If the burial register for St Lukes is available, it might be useful to see the entry for this burial. George / Charles is the only burial in the plot............this is not a paupers grave?

".... talk of the town then we would have." Do you mean that George's departure was a matter of gossip in the town, beyond the usual comment that such events might produce?