Author Topic: McDonald, Ross, McKenzie and Rose families  (Read 1933 times)

Offline Craigellachie2019

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McDonald, Ross, McKenzie and Rose families
« on: Friday 13 November 15 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
I think a brick wall has come down and I'd like to try to verify by discussion with any descendants of other branches of the tree.  I have Donald McDonald and Ann Ross, giving birth to Charles McDonald in 1785.  Charles married Catherine Ross b 1791. It appears they had Donald and Margaret - twins - in 1809, Angus in 1817 who married Janet McKenzie, Christian or Christina McDonald b 1821 who married Kenneth Rose and Willina or Williamina McDonald born 1828.  Kenneth and Christina had a daughter Ann Rose born 1867. Angus Mcdonald and Janet McKenzie had Catherine b 1852, Donald b 1854, Alexander b 1856, Helen b 1857, Jane b 1860, Christina b 1861 and Charles b 1864.  Is there anyone out there?
Anne
Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang
England: Lucas, Parkinson, Nicholls
Ireland: Keys, McAuliffe, Achilles, Fenner/Fannin, Halpin
Germany: Achilles, Bartels, Barthold, Pralow, Schreiber, Kloth, Cords

Offline gemoliver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McDonald, Ross, McKenzie and Rose families
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 22:58 BST (UK) »
Hi AlannaGrace

Can I ask, what area are your ancestors from? I'm a Rose/McKenzie descendant and they were from the Fodderty, Rossshire area

Cheers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 23:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Gemoliver - thank you for replying.  My Gr Grandfather Donald McDonald (Macdonald) came to Australia in 1886. I have his death, marriage and birth records, and census records.  He was born in Brechin, Angus to Donald McDonald and Ann Sinclair.  When Donald McDonald Snr died - young Donald was the only one left in the family and was about 16.  He put 'Charles' as his father's father, but put a dash for his father's mother's name on the death record as he obviously didn't know who she was.  In all the census data, Donald McDonald Snr says he was born in Rosskeen Rossshire.  His age differs in all materials, but it appears he was born around 1810.  The only birth I could find for a Donald to a Charles around that time was to a Charles McDonald and Katherine Ross. However there appear to be 2 marriages within a couple of months of each other one being to a Catherine Ross and the other to Katherine Ross.  Births in Familysearch seem to have children listed under both so I am unsure if they are two separate couples or one.  I also don't know for sure if these are my ancestors.  The clue to the possibility it might be is that one of Donald Snr's daughters was named Isabella MILLAR McDonald with the Millar being the name of Anne Sinclair's mother's maiden name.  Another daughter was called Georgina ROSS McDonald, so I wondered if Ross was Donald McDonald Snr's mother's maiden name.  I have been trying to search the other children of Charles and Catherine/Katherine to see if they may know if its the same family.  If I have the right parents, Donald McDonald Snr had a twin sister, Margaret McDonald.  I have no idea what led Donald Snr to move to Angus and unsure what happened to Margaret.  I believe she may have married a Bain and had a son who at 1 year of age was living with his Uncle Donald McDonald Snr and his first wife Margaret Sinclair.  Looking forward to any help you may be able to give. My tree is public and is on Ancestry if you want to have a look through. Its called the Anne Stewart family tree.
Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 August 16 13:47 BST (UK) »
Anne,
I'm just posting this in case anyone is looking to make a connection to James Bain and Margaret McDonald who had a son born in 1850. The OPR for the birth of this child gives 16 Carlton Street as the parents' address. On Freecen in 1851 this couple along with the 9mth old son John are still living at 16 Carlton Street in South Leith. According to the census this Margaret was born in Helmsdale, Caithness around 1825 so I'm pretty confident she is not Donald's sister.
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 August 16 01:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jen. I will keep looking for the source of my John Bain born 1850, nephew to Donald McDonald.
Anne