Author Topic: Help with photo of Cpl Helme Please  (Read 3392 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with photo of Cpl Helme Please
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 15 November 15 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought, could championship be Challenge Cup?

Jennifer

You could well be right....the highlights in the photo renders some areas blown out which makes it difficult to make out and it's hard on the eyes.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline writer133

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 30 January 16 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Pretty sure that the badge on the cup is the King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment's lion (with the Rose of Lancashire below it). The cup is typical of those awarded for regimental football and cross-country competitions, though it's unusual that Cpl Helme is not photographed in the appropriate pose. (Boxers were usually in kit in a fighting stance; shooters holding a rifle etc.) I do feel however, based on how he is dressed, that this is a post-war photograph.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 30 January 16 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Gosh that is spooky...I am just sorting all my postcards and photos to put them in order and I have just pulled this one out  :o :o :o
Thanks for taking the time to respond...that's very helpful.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 30 January 16 13:37 GMT (UK) »
As to dating might even be as late as WWII. The 4 button shirt with patch pleat pockets for use in hot climates. No point for this shirt under the previous uniform jackets with stand and fall collars.

A Google image search failed to find example with button down collars.

Added: Into the 1930's perhaps. 
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 30 January 16 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Regorian.
Carol

Offline writer133

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 31 January 16 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Just had another thought about this- perhaps he has been photographed in the appropriate pose. Both the 4th and 5th Battalions held an annual cross-country paper chase competition, so I would presume that the two regular battalions also did. Certainly with the TF battalions it was a prestigious event. The white object tucked into his stable belt could very well be evidence for this- it's certainly not his hanky! I also agree with Regorian in that the date is far more likely to be nearer 1930 than 1920.

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 31 January 16 11:39 GMT (UK) »
He is showing the ring on his ring finger very proudly and I wonder if this was taken for his fiancée?

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 31 January 16 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks writer for your interesting comments which have been noted...Good point Jennifer...he is showing off his ring isn't he..food for thought.
Carol