Author Topic: Looking for Edward Ernest Johnson born 1905 Leytonstone  (Read 2986 times)

Offline Helen Bedford

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Edward Ernest Johnson born 1905 Leytonstone
« on: Friday 13 November 15 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi All
I am looking for an Edward Ernest Johnson, born 1905 in Leytonstone, and I was hoping somebody had him in their tree or knew of him?
He was the son of Edward Herbert Johnson (my great uncle) and his wife Elizabeth Harriet, but we lost touch with that side of the family.
I have a possible marriage for him in West Ham in 1932 and a death for him in North Somerset in 1997.
Helen

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Edward Ernest Johnson born 1905 Leytonstone
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 November 15 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked to see if anyone else is researching his family by looking in Surname Interests under Your Tools, below?  (Or on other sites)

If you are fairly sure that the marriage and death belong to him, have you applied for the birth, marriage and death certificates for confirmation?

Have you also applied for a copy of his will?

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 November 15 05:56 GMT (UK) »
1901 census Edward Herbert Johnson is living at 64 Ferndale Road and listed as an artist in stained glass, his wife is Elizabeth Harriet, both Edward and Elizabeth born Lambeth, children are Ethel age 8 born Islington and Florence age 5 also born Islington.
1911 the family includes Edward Ernest Johnson age 6 born Leytonstone. They are living at the same address. Also stated married 20 years, 3 children born 3 still living, so no other children between Florence and Edward.

Edward Herbert Johnson married Elizabeth Harriett Lloyd 13 September 1890 at St Mary, Lambeth.
His father listed as Edward Johnson and her father as Edwin Lloyd.

As you want to go forward try the new 1939 list on Find my past as it is more than 100 years since the births you should be able to find all of them listed. 

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 November 15 06:38 GMT (UK) »
There is a tree on ancestry that shows his death in the state of Maine USA, with the same parents, Edward Herbert and Elizabeth Harriett. Yet the only immigration records I could see are for Edward Johnson wife Ellen, daughter Florence age 11 and Edward age 5 emigrating to the USA in 1910, meaning they could not be the same family on the census in 1911.

Just in case this is your family here are the following baptism records.
Ethel born 15 August 1892 bap 13 November 1892 at Tufnell Park St George, living at 218 Brecknock Road.
Florence born 17 March 1896 bap 28 June 1896 at Tufnell Park St George, living at 195 Tufnell Park
Road.
Edward Ernest born 16 March 1905 bap 7 May 1905 at St Margaret of Antioch, Leytonstone, living at 64 Ferndale Road. Same address as 1901 and 1911 census records.
In all cases the father is a glass painter

Offline Helen Bedford

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 November 15 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for all your input guys! and thanks for the baptisms, I didn't have those.

Unfortunately I cannot find any will in the probate indexes on either FindMyPast or Ancestry, so cannot confirm either the marriage or the death as I can only afford certificates for direct ancestors.

I also cannot place any reliance on the family trees on Ancestry as I have just looked into those for Edward Ernest Johnson born 1905 in West Ham district and found that they mostly weren't my lad at all, the tree owners had taken the wrong birth date and added it to their man - in most cases taking a man known as Edward Johnson on his marriage and turning him into Edward Ernest at birth!

I have found Edward Ernest in 1939 and his sister Ethel but I'm having great difficulty in finding the rest of the family as I believe that his mother died in 1928 and his father married again, but I don't know who to - it's just a vague family rumour!

Also his sister is rumoured to have married a fellow named Basil but I can't find any trace of them - needless to say!

Helen

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 November 15 20:30 GMT (UK) »
St Margaret of Antioch Church, Leytonstone
Entry #78 Marriages
Married 3 September 1932
Edward Ernest Johnson age 27 Bank Clerk of 88 Woodhouse Road E11 single
Martha Houghton age 28, Clerk of 153 Trumpington Road E7, spinster
His father Edward Herbert Johnson, stain glass painter
Her father Harold Houghton, signalman
Witnesses H Houghton and E F Johnson

So where was Martha in 1939?

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 November 15 21:01 GMT (UK) »
St Margaret of Antioch Parish Records are available at the Essex Record Office, they charge one pound per page plus postage, so if you want a copy of this entry it is much cheaper than a certificate.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 November 15 21:18 GMT (UK) »
From freebmd born David J Johnson mother Houghton, West Ham, June Quarter.
So back to the parish records of St Margaret of Antioch
entry number 1680 in baptism register
David John Johnson born 3 June 1934 baptized 1 September 1934, father Edward Ernest Johnson and mother Martha. Father listed as a Clerk.
Address 14 Amberley Road, Buckhurst Hill.

From England and Wales Death Index
David John Johnson born 3 June 1934 died 17 April 2008 Surbiton Surrey

Offline Helen Bedford

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 November 15 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Wow! Thank you very much! That info confirms what I suspected and potentially ties into my maternal line as well as my 2x great-grandmother was a Jane Houghton who came from the same area of Bedfordshire as Harold!
Now that I know who the wife is and her birth family, I shall hopefully be able to trace them and find a match for Martha in 1939.
Mind you there could be one big problem as in the case of my maternal aunt. She was in the first wave of evacuations with her firm, so was gone from home by September 1939 and I don't know where - I wish I had asked Mum before she died! So despite being dead I won't be able to find her until 2021 as she was born 1921.
So that is probably going to be the problem, as Martha has a young child they will have both been evacuated probably!
Helen