Author Topic: Family of Sir Rollo GILLESPIE  (Read 38768 times)

Offline hughrg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family of Sir Rollo GILLESPIE
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 19:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  Watch out for more posts from me.

Offline rowlie

• RootsChat Extra
  • 14th Robert Rollo Gillespie and direct descendant
    • View Profile

Offline Kim P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 30 July 09 14:53 BST (UK) »
AHHHHHH....
Thanks for the help!
Sir Rollo Gillespie

Offline hughrg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 30 July 09 16:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks.

Offline podwyer11

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 28 November 10 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rowlie, I am the grand son of Pat O'Dwyer who was burn in Argentine and it was said that he was a decendant of Sir Robert Rollo Gillespie? Pat O'Dwyer served in Sierra leon under the West African Royal Frontier Force.

Offline Prospect

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 10 February 11 14:45 GMT (UK) »
New to this forum.

I am a 1st cousin 6x removed of HRRG 1766-1814.

I have a portrait of Grace Savage née Gillespie who was a first cousin of RRG 1766-1814.

HRRG was the son of Robert Gillespie who married Jane Bailey and Grace was the daughter of George Gillespie who married a Miss Kyle. Robert and George were sons of Hugh Gillespie and Hon Susannah Rollo.

Grace's great grandson Col William Henry Savage 1863-1951 was my great grandfather and took quite an interest in family trees.

In WHS's research notes I found the following:

"Unproved Will 17 Oct 1795 Capt RR Gillespie.

Being on the eve of departure for West Indies leaves natural son George Gillespie to be disposed of for his advantage by his beloved wife Annabella Gillespie.
Leaves all of his fortune to his beloved wife Annabella and at her decease to her brother Edward Taylor Esq excepting £500 to her youngest brother James Taylor, also the reversion of what money and property was left to him by his late uncle James Bailie Esq of Inishargie and at her death to Edward Taylor except for £500 to Edward Taylor son of Nathan Taylor.
signed RRG Capt 20th Dragoons."

1. Shows the existence in 1795 of a natural son called George who is known to his wife.
2. Confirms that his mother Jane Bailie had a brother called James Bailie of Inishargie.
3. Confirms that Annabella had two brothers, Edward and James.
4. Suggests that he has no legitimate son at the time of this will.
5.I haven't identified Nathan yet.

On the question of RRG's son the Comber Historical Society webite talks about RRG's son presenting a flag which RRG captured at Vellore, to the King.

http://comberhistory.blogspot.com/2010/08/part-33-sir-robert-rollo-gillespie-kcb.html

"This was the flag captured later by Gillespie [at Vellore] and in 1821 presented by his son, Lieutenant R.R.Gillespie to King George 4th."

His "natural" son was called George. Is this Lt RRG the son in 4th Light Dragoons who married 1st Wilhelmina Frederica Massey in 1818 (but appears to have had no children by her). His second wife bore him at least three children including another RRG. I estimate his dates as 1800-1835.

Comments?

Offline quigley1846

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 16 March 11 01:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gillespie descendants,

I am a descendent of William Gillespie (Born Cork 1735 died 1790?)
and his son William Stawell Gillespie (Born Cork 1776 died 1855)
and his Son Henry Cameron (Born Cork 23/3/1828 died 24/9/1902 Auckland NZ)
and His son Henry Gibbon (Born Thames NZ 1871 died 14/12/1937 Auckland)
and his son John Franklin Rowan (born 1926 Auckland currently living in Australia)

I will be touring around Ireland for a week June10 to 18th 2009.

My Mother (who is very keen on Geneology and my cousin also ) have quite a few family tree records. Mum says there is a statue somewhere in Ireland of Sir Robert Rollo Gillespie I should look up - does anyone know where this is?
I used to have to recite a poem when I was at school about Sir Robert Rollo  I remember, does anyone have a copy?

I am also decended from this line my line is sarah williams Gillespie daughter of William Stalwell. Would love to share info offline  Bernie
email (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Sue Bruce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 17 March 11 15:27 GMT (UK) »
I am researching the Gillespie family of Limavady ... Robert Gillespie (b. 1880, d. 1934) married Eliza Jane (or Elizabeth) Garvin (b. 1886, d. 1967).  Robert was the son of Daniel Gillespie (circa 1850).  I have never been able to find information to progress further than Daniel ... don't even know the name of Daniel's wife.  Can anyone help.  We still have many family members in Limavady today.

Moderator's Comment: since this post doesn't pertain to this thread about Family of Sir Rollo Gillespie if anyone can help please reply on the existing Co.Derry thread -
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,488278.msg3762885.html#msg3762885

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 21 September 11 13:17 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Casement of Invermore, Larne, was m. at Calcutta cathedral on 26 June 1826 to Capt. Gillespie of the 4th Light Dragoons, AdC to the Governor-General.

I assume she's "the lady of Capt. Gillespie" who d. 21 June 1827
(source: announcements in the East India Register found on the FiBIS web site, and also card index at the India Office library).

Can anyone help me discover who the mysterious captain was?
Possibly Robert Rollo, son of Sir Robert Rollo, who then m. Miss Blaxland a couple of years later -- though I thought he was in a different regiment.
But what did Elizabeth do (apart from inconsiderately dying within a year of marriage, probably in childbed) that was so disgraceful that she's apparently been expunged from the Gillespie family records?
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds